Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:11 am

Watch Live Sport-channels Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:10 pm 
Regular

most people refuse to admit that they actually like players from rival clubs (for me that means newcastle and sunderland, dont really want that many from darlo :lol: )

there is only 1 from each for me

steven taylor (newcastles best player imo)
and craig gordon (think he will prove worth the 10m sunderland meant to have paid for him)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:04 am 
Rock Star

Hmm ........... so, as a Stokey, I have to choose someone from Port Vale .......... :?

Erm ......... I don't know any of their players and they are going to be relegated from the division below the one we are trying (very badly) to get promoted from.

Can I say 'pass'?

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:16 am 
I would have to say Downing from you Smurf, as the rest aren't worth anything :wink: :lol:

And from the Makems, it would have to be Jones, when he's playing well, I wouldn't give you £1m for Gordon :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:40 pm 
Top of the pops

For me it would be Alves from Boro. We were linked to him before the season started and I watched him on You tube and thought Yes let's have him. He was available for £6M then, don't know why we didn't pursue that. He'll come good.
From Newcastle it would be James Milner. Good young player and we need cover at right wing.
Gary
To broaden this theme to members who do not follow the North East teams, do you rate any North East players and to all, who do you rate from the Championship?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:58 pm 
Web-Site Admin

smurf wrote:
most people refuse to admit that they actually like players from rival clubs (for me that means newcastle and sunderland, dont really want that many from darlo :lol: )

there is only 1 from each for me

steven taylor (newcastles best player imo)
and craig gordon (think he will prove worth the 10m sunderland meant to have paid for him)

Surprised to see you go for Taylor - I don't think he would get in your team ahead of Wheater and Huth to be honest - seems to have gone backwards this season.

Agree on Gordon from the mackems - DP will accuse me of being condescending but I genuinley don't think they've got anyone else who would get into our full-strength first team.

From the smogs, probably Wheater, although Tuncay would be a good shout as an attacking midfielder.

If I was picking a single Newcastle player to make a difference to either of your teams it would have to be Martins - his pace and power make all the difference to our forward play.

Anyone brave enough to suggest a combined North-east XI?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:24 pm 
:smilielol I thought we already had the better XI :smilielol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Well to choose a combined team I'd have to know all the players from the other teams so Please put down what you think is your strongest teams and then I'll choose.
Ours is Gordon, RB Bardsley CB Nosworthy Evans, LB Collins, Midfield, Edwards,Whitehead,Richardson,Reid,Forwards,Jones Murphy
Subs Chopra,Ward,Leadbitter,Prica,Yorke.
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:51 pm 
Web-Site Admin

I would say our strongest currently is:

Given
Beye
Taylor
Faye
Enrique
Geremi
Butt
Barton
Owen
Viduka
Martins

Subs: Harper, Cacapa, Duff, N'Zogbia, Milner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:33 pm 
I'd almost say the same, except Milner in for Geremi :D

Given
Beye
Taylor
Faye
Enrique
Milner
Butt
Barton
Owen
Viduka
Martins

Subs: Harper, Cacapa, Duff, N'Zogbia, Geremi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:19 pm 
Regular

[quote="Captain FantasticSurprised to see you go for Taylor - I don't think he would get in your team ahead of Wheater and Huth to be honest - seems to have gone backwards this season.

Anyone brave enough to suggest a combined North-east XI?[/quote]

regarding taylor, I have not seen as much of newcastle as you obviously, it just seems that whenever i do watch them, he makes more saves than your keepers do : :lol:

NE combined 11

gordon

rb luke young
cb wheater
cb Huth
lb pogatetz

right midfield milner
defensive midfielder boateng
attacking midfielder tuncay
left mid downing

target man viduka
other striker obafemi or kenwyn jones (too early for alves even though he will be class)

bench schwarzer, beye, arca, aliadierre, owen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:02 pm 
Top of the pops

Here Goes
Given
Young
Nosworthy
Evans Captain
Collins
Milner
Butt
Reid
Downing
Jones
Owen
Subs Gordon, Wheater, Richardson,Edwards and Alves.
That's five from us, Four from the mags and two from the smogs.
Gary
PS This is an honest opinion. Smog, I mean Smurf, names eleven Boro players in his squad !
Makes you wonder why they are struggling doesn't it ? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:37 pm 
To be honest Gary, I wouldn't name any Smoogies or Maken in my NE XI either :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:46 pm 
Top of the pops

I suppose that is the difference between a deluded bloke and an honest bloke Pete.
Gary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:42 pm 
Its nothing to do with being deluded mate, I just don't see any makem or smoggie players being any better than what we already have, the only real exception to that is probably Downing but then I wouldn't say he was any better to Duff or Zogs, so if you think thats not honest enough, then I'm not the deluded one imo :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:32 pm 
Top of the pops

Your attitude towards your team and to others is one of the reasons why football fans do not like your club.
I know you will take this as a compliment but you are a typical mag...... and that is not meant as a compliment at all.
You are so deluded in the belief that your club are the be all and end all that you really don't see the big picture.
To be honest, it doesn't surprise me one iota that you come out with the comments that you do.
I should be used to it as I hear these comments every day from the half wits who walk around here with their Magpie tattoos and their beer bellies hanging out from under the only shirt they own which just happens to be black and white and striped.
If I asked any of them where Newcastle United played they'd answer "Near the Metro Centre". If I asked them who Jackie Milburn was they'd answer " Was he the bookie that closed down last week ?"
Their knowledge of football is nil.
I came on here and gave an honest answer in the hope that some others would. I should have known better. Still all hope is not lost, there's still Captain Fantastic.
Gary :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:42 pm 
Regular

fairs fair, you cant blame pete for selecting 11 newcastle players, after all 50 000 people go to watxh newcastle every home game, so it is not just him who is deluded, i think it must be a prerequisite of supporting them, you only see things in black and white ( a bit like the last time they won anything !) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:56 pm 
:smilielol nice 1 smurf :clap

If supporting your team whole hearted is being deluded, then we're all guilty or we wouldn't be called fans would we :shock:

As for not knowing much about my team, I wouldn't say that exactly, I know as much as I care too but in comparison to someone who was born & bred in the TOON, I don't think I'm too bad, as I've only supported them for 16 years, not my entire life unlike some :roll:

Believe me, if I had been born in the TOON, I'd know as much about them as CF but even tho I wasn't, I'm probably as fanaticle if not more, as I have to prove my faith, not having been born into it :celebrate

And why would I pick players from lower teams to put in my NE XI, after all, we are the TOP team in the NE are we not :celeb2 :smilielol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:22 pm 
Regular

just wondering what happened 16 years ago to get ou supporting newcastle?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:04 am 
KK TOON Revolution :celebrate :smilielol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:13 am 
Regular

Pete wrote:
KK TOON Revolution :celebrate :smilielol

thats right, he scrapped the reserves, down graded the youth setup great moves they were

he spent a fortune acquiring some very talented players for the first team, (just a shame he could only play 11 at a time)

keegans first team was great to watch, just a shame he walked out when the pressure got too much (or did he jump before he got pushed after failing to win anything time after time?)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:34 am 
Tabloid trash Smurf, Tabloid trash :roll:

He has said since being back that he left due to broken promises by Sir John Hall, things that were promised to him when he took charge changed when FFS was brought on board & the TOON went PLC :roll:

Yes he scrapped the reserve teams & youth setup but that was for the greater good in his mind, but at least he's come out & said he was wrong to do that & realises he made a mistake :|

But what he did do, was create another giant of a team who should have beaten Man U to the title, who under himself & Sir Bob have pushed themselves into the Top 4 nearly every season, which no other team, apart from Everton now & then has done, yes we've had some managers in the past who couldn't cut the mustard, mainly those between KK & Sir Bob & back to KK but he's back & now we have serious money behind us, watch this spot, this summer is going to be something special, after all, its the 'KK TOON WAY' :celebrate :celeb2 :clapping :celebrate :celeb2 :clapping

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:47 am 
Regular

discopants wrote:
Well to choose a combined team I'd have to know all the players from the other teams so Please put down what you think is your strongest teams and then I'll choose.
Ours is Gordon, RB Bardsley CB Nosworthy Evans, LB Collins, Midfield, Edwards,Whitehead,Richardson,Reid,Forwards,Jones Murphy
Subs Chopra,Ward,Leadbitter,Prica,Yorke.
Gary

for boro would have to say
schwarzer
young
huth
wheater
pogi
tuncay
boateng
arca
downing
aliadierre
alves

bench
turnbull, oneil, cattermole, johnson, taylor (next year as 7 subs would have mido and hines as well)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:01 am 
Regular

Pete wrote:
Tabloid trash Smurf, Tabloid trash :roll:

But what he did do, was create another giant of a team who should have beaten Man U to the title, who under himself & Sir Bob have pushed themselves into the Top 4 nearly every season, which no other team, apart from Everton now & then has done, yes we've had some managers in the past who couldn't cut the mustard, mainly those between KK & Sir Bob & back to KK but he's back & now we have serious money behind us, watch this spot, this summer is going to be something special, after all, its the 'KK TOON WAY' :celebrate :celeb2 :clapping :celebrate :celeb2 :clapping

i agree they should have won the title when they were 10 points clear the season keegan did his 'love it 'speach, however i dont think 5 times in the top four in 15 years is nearly every season, it is an impressive record as it should be for a 'big' club, Leeds record in the same time is almost the same 6 top 5 places in the same period and look at them now (and they won the top flight within the loast 20 years),

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:27 am 
My point is, how many other teams in the Premiership have matched that in the last 15 years :?

Leeds didn't actually win the Premiership, they won the old 1st Division title, its only Blackburn who have broken the duck & that team included the one & only Shearer :lol:

Btw, it was a 12 point lead we threw away over Man U that season, lets call it a minor slip up :lol:

Even Liverpool have only broken into the Top 2 once :shock:

So maybe that's why we're still classed as a big club, who know's :celebrate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:17 am 
Web-Site Admin

Well, I've pondered away, and this is my best offering for a combined XI. I should point out I have only picked players I've seen play quite a bit, so the likes of Evans who is very highly rated by all accounts doesn't make it by virtue of the fact I've never actually seen him play!

My selection (4-3-3)

Gordon

Beye
Huth
Wheater
Enrique

Butt
Barton
Arca

Owen
Jones
Martins

Subs: Given, Faye, Edwards, Viduka, Tuncay

This lot would beat all your lot's selections easy I reckon! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:18 am 
Regular

re leeds what i actually said was won the top flight, now i know some people believe that football did not exist before the premier league started, but i am sure that they played in some league, i dont know lets call it the 1st division before the premier league started (oh hang on they must be the same thing :banghead ), and that was in the last 20 years

tbh i didn't know it was 12 points (even worse collapse then wasn't it, i think man u still had 2 games in hand at that stage mind)

I actually hoped newcastle would have won it that year, they played the best football, and like most football fnas in the north east, i think we all want the others to do well just not as well as our own clubs (we will still finish above you lot this season :lol: )

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:27 am 
Yeah it was the old 1st Division that Leeds won & I think they won it the seasoon before it changed to the Premiership too :lol:

Can you imagine what it would be like if the TOON had won it, no one would be able to say anything about us not being a big club & not won a demostic trophy in 50+ years :roll:

I also think us winning would have made the NE a better place for us all, as it would have put us on the map big time, making it easier for our teams to attract players with the quality needed to sustain that challenge against the likes of Man U, Pool, Arsenil & Chelski :D :D

But better days are ahead for the TOON, I'm really looking forward to next season even more now :lol:

Oh btw, you've got a cat in hells chance of getting above us now :celebrate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:05 pm 
Top of the pops

Carlisle were top of Division one once. Does that make them a big club ?
Milwall got to the FA Cup final recently does that make them a big club ?
The only thing big about Newcastle are the crowds, the wages and the ego's of the mongoloids who follow them.
What would you have done Pete if KK had decided to manage say Southampton ?
Gary :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:08 pm 
Regular

discopants wrote:
Carlisle were top of Division one once. Does that make them a big club ?
Milwall got to the FA Cup final recently does that make them a big club ?
The only thing big about Newcastle are the crowds, the wages and the ego's of the mongoloids who follow them.
What would you have done Pete if KK had decided to manage say Southampton ?
Gary :shock:

be in danger of supporting a league one team :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:11 pm 
Top of the pops

Exactly Smurf.
I'm off to the match now wish me luck !
Gary, Haway The Lads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:07 am 
Oh I see, no remarks after yesterdays results eh :lol:

You see, KK wouldn't have managed Southampton, as he never played for them, he played for the TOON, so thats why he decided to manage them :roll: and that's why I support them whole heartedly :D

At least I've got the faith & loyalty in my team to defend what they've done in the past & be proud of what we've achieved, even if it was before I was born :D

As for supporting a league one team, who's the top NE at present :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:28 am 
Regular

Pete wrote:
Oh I see, no remarks after yesterdays results eh :lol:

You see, KK wouldn't have managed Southampton, as he never played for them, he played for the TOON, so thats why he decided to manage them :roll: and that's why I support them whole heartedly :D

At least I've got the faith & loyalty in my team to defend what they've done in the past & be proud of what we've achieved, even if it was before I was born :D

As for supporting a league one team, who's the top NE at present :lol: :lol:

:doh

ok only just woke up with a massive hangover, but i can not let this pass, i do not know yesterdays reults, (will do in next few minutes) however you have just shown how little you know, just who was keegans team immediately befoe he signed for newcastle?

go on have a guess :lol:

believe it or not keegan did play for more than one team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:24 am 
:doh Good job I rewrote my last post then, or you'd know the result already :smilielol

Well I said I was a Toon supporter, I never said I knew everything about KK :roll: I was very young & followed his career when he was at the POOL but after that & before the TOON, I've no idea what he was doing, I actually thought he left the POOL & went abroad before coming to the TOON as a player, but as you see from the following list I was wrong, he went to as you say Southampton, so he could have managed them, but as I was only the tender age of 11 in 1980, I was still a POOL fan & had moved on to other idol players like Dalglish by then :lol:

But in 92 when he took over at the TOON, brought in by Sir John Hall & I hadn't supported a team since leaving school, so thought why not, they weren't in the top league, so I can't be called a glory hunter & I enjoyed the way they played, exciting football, so that's why I support them & have done ever since, no matter who is in charge :o

1968–1971 Scunthorpe United
1971–1977 Liverpool
1977–1980 Hamburger SV
1980–1982 Southampton
1982–1984 Newcastle United
1985 Blacktown City Demons

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:40 pm 
Top of the pops

Long Live Pete,
The King of Codswallop !
Gary :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:20 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Pete wrote:

Pete man, that's shocking! :shock:

Need to get you in for some elementary history lessons asap, you're getting rings run round you by a mackem and a smoggy for pity's sake! :doh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:40 pm 
I'm surprised your didn't say for 'Pete's sake' :lol: :lol:

As I've said before, I've no idea what KK did for the 15 yrs between leaving the POOL (77) & joining the TOON as there manager (92) :roll:
I liked him as a player when I was a very young lad but when he left the POOL, other player ie Dalglish came along & I never even bothered about KK until he was appointed TOON Manager & that caught my eye, so started watching them play when I could & have supported them ever since :D
If it was just KK I supported, then I would have followed him to Fulham, Citey & England but I didn't, I stuck with the TOON, even through the bad times of Guillt, Souness, Roeder & Allardyce but we did have a great times under Sir Bob & as I like Dalglish as a player also, I gave him my support too, even if it didn't go so well :o
But at least I'm honest, I could have just edited the posts & had none of this hassel :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:05 pm 
Top of the pops

:oops: :oops: :oops:
:lol:

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body