Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:14 pm

Watch Live Sport-channels Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Optimistic Me
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm 
Top of the pops

I'm optimistic me that my team are gonna come good. We won't get anything this weekend at Liverpool but we will climb the table soon.
I like the signings Roy has made, Bardsley looked solid the other night and Prica looks decent. We've signed Andy Reid who if he can stay fit is just what our team needs. He has a bit of class. When we have Carlos Edwards and Keiron Richardson back to supply and assist Kenwynne, well watch out.
Toon at home to Boro this week, hmm if they were to lose they would be in a spot of bother with Villa and Man Utd coming up. It might not be long before we overtake them. 8)
We are starting to look decent at home and up for the fight which will be important over the coming weeks.
Just thought I'd post my thoughts to my friends on here :wink:
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:03 pm 
Major

Keep taking the tablets Discopants - you'll need them!!!

"Be who you are, not what others want you to be"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:07 pm 
DP - where you typing that in your dreams, it sounds as if you were sleep typing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:53 pm 
Top of the pops

LF9 and Pete

You've got more of a chance against Boro now, I've just realised Alves can't play against you and I think they're struggling to field an attacker.I'm not taking pills and I'm not dreaming lads. You know I'm not. 8)
This weekend is a big one for your club. Lose and you will be right in it by the end of the month. :cry:
Like I said, I'm optimistic me. :wink:
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:23 pm 
Hi Gary,

I know if we lose we'll have a struggle on our hands as we'll be stuck way to low in the league with tuff games ahead :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:10 am 
Web-Site Admin

Good to see your optimism growing DP (hopefully before the inevitable fall :wink: ) but I suppose it all depends on exactly what you mean by "come good" - I mean, what is a realistic aspiration long term for a team like sunderland?

As I said elsewhere, you look a decent bet to stay up, but what then? You might have plenty money but so does everyone these days, so attracting decent players will still be a problem.

Do you reckon you can make Europe within a couple of seasons maybe? First time for everything I suppose! :lol: But the point is there's probably a dozen teams (not including the top 4) now who could realistically challenge for the UEFA spots, so even that is getting really difficult these days. Would you be happy with mid-table security for a few years? Some might, but you would soon start yearning for the excitement of a Championship title-winning season again! :D

And before you say anything, I know Newcastle aren't going to be challenging at the top any time soon - the top 4 has become such a closed shop that you need everything to fall into place at the same time to even stand a slim chance of breaking in there , and if I'm honest it annoys the hell out of me! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:02 pm 
Major

Well I think Sunderland have a great chance of beating Liverpool - they are rubbish at the moment - Liverpool I mean! Off to the Chemist's now for some tablets!!!!

"Be who you are, not what others want you to be"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:00 pm 
Top of the pops

LF9
We are facing a LPool team who can't afford to lose after the West Ham result. I think they'll be wounded.
CF
Survival will do this season, thank you very much. That's not what I'm optimistic about though. I do think we'll be okay but I'm optimistic about the future. Roy Keane and Sir Niall have a 5 year plan, they are ahead of schedule. We have a relatively young team who are learning the ropes (disregard the 66 year old Dwight Yorke) they will get better. I truly believe the likes of Edwards and Jones will become big players and if we can show to others that we are a Premiiership team and not a yo yo club those other players may start putting pen to paper. It's a marathon not a sprint and as marathons go Roy Keane is still on the first lap. He is building a team, believe me. Sometimes it's hard for me to see that so I can understand it if your black and white glasses prevent you from seing it.
We came up with Derby and Brum and we are in a healthier position than both. It's taken a while for the penny to drop and for me to feel this way but I and a lot of other Mackems can see light at the end of the tunnell.
We'll be okay and as for Title contenders, don't be silly but who knows where we'll be in a couple of years and yes we could challenge for a Euro place. We did under Peter Reid and I'll tell you what, the club is in much better hands andfar better off this time round.
Keeping The Faith, Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:41 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Well Brum are looking well precarious now - a home draw against Derby and losing to the mackems (we all know how poor you have to be for that to happen!), plus they've got a really tricky looking run-in.

So it looks like Derby, Fulham & Brum for the drop, but could still change....if sunderland do stay up then there's more chance of strengthening, but I reckon Europe is still miles away - too many teams have stacks of money and a good head start, it's not like the halcyon days of Peter Reid any more! :monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Dear me, I'm not thinking of Europe, well only for my holidays in June !,
"We all know how difficult it is to be beat by the Mackems " Yes you held on by the skin of your teeth in November.
Maybe that should read "We all know how hard it is for Toon to get a win" or "We all know how hard it for Toon to score a goal" :lol:
Looks like KK has switched from a circus north of the border to one on the Tyne.
Major Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:53 am 
Web-Site Admin

That's just the thing though, we were shocking at you place this season and you still couldn't beat us :D so you've no chance now we've got a decent manager and will actually play some football.

Remind me, what's your record against the toon at the shiny new SOL?

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:39 pm 
Top of the pops

I'm not into stats but I do know if the full record of matches between the two clubs was examined then there's nowt in it.
Oh and I do know the record score was you lot 1 my lot 9 ha ha.
Your performance at our place is the worst so far this season and we've defeated 6 teams who all played better than you.
You were lucky.
Your luck will run out.
Remember what Hegel said.
Major Gary :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:33 am 
Web-Site Admin

Looks like we're well ahead to me:

Newcastle Wins - 47
Draws - 38
Sunderland Wins - 40

And the last time you beat us was November 2000, over 7 years ago! There's a whole generation of mackem kids out there with no concept of what it feels like to beat the toon - long may it continue!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:37 pm 
Top of the pops

I said there was nowt in it and I've just taken these figures from " The History of the rivalry between Sunderland AFC and Newcastle United"
Newcastle won 50 draws 44 Goals scored 208
Sunderland won 45 draws same obviously, scored 207
Not bad eh considering you lot are a" big club and we are nobodies"
There's nowt in it and you lot should wake and smell the coffee and realise it.
There'll be nowt in it this season as well. You heard it here first :wink:
Major Gary
Oh and a recent survey stated the average child watches his first professional footbal match at the age of 9 so don't worry about that either. :lol: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:03 pm 
Web-Site Admin

You might get closer to us than I would have liked this season, but once KK opens up his war chest in the summer you won't be able to see us for dust next year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:28 pm 
Gary mate,

Ha look back into the history of your club & come back with what they've won in the past, I know I put another post up about whats in your cabinet but that what makes a big club, not what you've done in the last 40 years but what have you done in the entire history of the club, what trophies have you won since the club was formed :wink:

As you can see in the other post, the TOON have won a fair bit, even if it's more tha 40 years ago, that's why we're classed as a 'Big Club' :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:33 pm 
Top of the pops

Pete
I may be called Discopants but I don't talk PANTS.....You Do
Your last post is complete tosh. :oops: I can't be bothered to look up what my club has won but if you can I think you'll be surprised.
If your theory is anything to go by then I'm sure Bolton Wanderers,Preston North End, Sheffield Wednesday,Nottingham Forest Notts County for that matter MUST all be big clubs.I've said it before but it's true you really are a deluded individual. :wink:
Major Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:28 pm 
Here you go mate, as I think you already knew so didn't want to say but I thought I'd do it for you as suggested:

First Division Top Flight Champions 1891/1892, 1892/1893, 1894/1895, 1901/1902, 1912/1913, 1935/1936
First Division Top Flight Runners-up 1893/1894, 1897/1898, 1900/1901, 1922/1923, 1934/1935

FA Cup Winners 1936/1937, 1972/1973
FA Cup Runners-up 1912/1913, 1941/1942, 1991/1992
League Cup Runners-up 1984/1985
War Cup Runners-up 1942 :? :?
Charity Shield Winners 1936/1937
Sheriff of London Charity Shield Winners 1902/1903
Charity Shield Runners-up 1937/1938

Not as great as you think is it, most is pre WWII, so who's deluded mate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:57 pm 
Top of the pops

Well haven't you been banging on about a club's history making it BIG. If that's the case you surely can not then start moaning cos we won trophies before the war ! Stop moving the goalposts.
You won a lot of things before the war as well .......ah but that's different isn't it. :lol:
We seem to have won more top league titles than you and been runners up more times than you. I mean don't take my word for it, they are your figures. You also conveniently did not enter the number of times we've won the second league but you did include it in your figures. :shock:
Look mate I don't know whether my club are a BIG club or not. I suspect we are not. I keep saying there's nowt between you and us so I guess that means you too are not.
We play Wigan tomorrow who certainly are not a BIG club. I'm worried about it as we have loads of players injured. I think we'll lose. You play Aston Villa who probably are a BIG club. You may lose as well.
If you do you will be a step closer to the relegation scrap.
You'd better hope you don't go down, there again if you do, you might be able to add the Coca Cola Championship to you r list of honours next season. :wink:
Kind Regards as always Gary, Mackem and Proud. 8)

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body