Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:09 am

Watch Live Sport-channels Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:00 pm 
Rock Star

I just wanted to put a note on for anyone who wasn't aware that the Motherwell Captain, Phil O'Donnell, passed away on Saturday 29th December. The club confirmed that he died of heart failure.

I know how horrible it is to lose someone at this time of year and I find it tragic for someone so young to pass away.

I think it brings a bit of perspective to life, that we should make the most of every single day, look after ourselves and others and just do our very best to make the most of what we have.

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:13 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Couldn't believe it when I heard about this - absolute tragedy.

Definitely a case of putting things in perspective - live for the moment and enjoy every day as much as you can because you just never know :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:18 pm 

Was surprised to hear the resident GMTV quack dr hilary say this morning that many of these incidents amongst sports men & women could be avoided by regular check-ups involving ECGs etc. Would have thought they would be de-rigeur for them, but aparently not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:14 am 
Top of the pops

My son has been seeing a cardiologist since he was around six years old when our GP picked up a heart murmur that had been missed at the six week check when he was a baby.

At the age of 14 he discovered his love of rugby, but was told by the cardiologist that it is the worst game he could have chosen given his heart condition. Kieran decided that there are many ways he could die even if he didn't indulge in the sport he loves, so he continues to play to this day. He now works for the RFU, coaches and referees as well as playing. He is almost 25.

What could we do? I won't wrap him in cotton wool. He continues to see a cardiologist for check-ups, although I can't see him giving up the game he loves if he is asked to. But at least he is loving life and living it I suppose.

Verity. 8)

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. Image

http://coecyp.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:37 am 
moufflon wrote:
Was surprised to hear the resident GMTV quack dr hilary say this morning that many of these incidents amongst sports men & women could be avoided by regular check-ups involving ECGs etc. Would have thought they would be de-rigeur for them, but aparently not.

Moufflon, you'll probably find that this is the case in most of the bigger clubs around the world but there's no saying that you'd catch it even if you had a check up every week :!:

As for not doing things just in case something happens, well you'd have to live in a bubble so not to let the world around you affect your life :roll:

Best thing is to carry on as if it was your last day, then when it comes, you'll not worry about it :wink:

Pete :Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:10 pm 
Top of the pops

Exactly. Just what Kieran believes. Although I pray that his last day comes long after mine. :wink:

Verity. 8)

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:29 pm 
Top of the pops

Saddened by those events, however we must always look at every occurence in context. We feel sorry for the family and friends. but how often do we stop for anonomous soldiers, unnamed motorists, unfortunate pedestrians, sick workmates, and those coming to the end of a fruitfful life? Its best we get on with life and do the best we can, and try to treat each other with just a little more consideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:36 pm 
Forum Admin

tanny wrote:
Saddened by those events, however we must always look at every occurence in context. We feel sorry for the family and friends. but how often do we stop for anonomous soldiers, unnamed motorists, unfortunate pedestrians, sick workmates, and those coming to the end of a fruitfful life? Its best we get on with life and do the best we can, and try to treat each other with just a little more consideration.

This is true , but all the same a sad day for scotland and scottish
football,,

Mind you its a sad day for scottish football , everytime my team
"hearts"get on the pitch :cry:

Welcome to the forum Tanny :wink:

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:57 pm 
Top of the pops

Was there last night and it was sooo bad I cannot even gloat, it was embarrasing for supporters of all sides.

I will refrain from posting a newspaper headline from this morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:20 pm 
Forum Admin

Dont , dont.. I was listening on heartsworld..
it was terrible .... as soon as we get a new manager , the better.

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:00 pm 
Top of the pops

I will neither dwell nor gloat, hes not necessarily your problem, but he is going to be your sacrificial lamb. The problems are deeper at a higher level. Uhio can bank on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:03 pm 
Web-Site Admin

tanny wrote:

That's a very good point tanny. It just isn't possible to grieve over every senseless or seemingly pointless loss of life, there just wouldn't be time for anything else. :(

I think it just hits home when it happens so publicly, and for someone who you would expect to be super-fit and healthy - I mean, if it can happen to them, then surely any one of us could go any time??

Sobering thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:30 pm 
It hurts even more when it's someone you know very well & was part of your life, I know this persoanlly as I lost my best friend of 33 years last year, he was only 36 when he died & left 2 boys behind to suffer that horrid pain of never being able to see him again :(

Our old next door neighbours daughter died aged 35 at the end of last year, that also came as a shock :!:

So I have total sympathy for Phils family & wish them all the best :!:

Pete :Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:39 am 
Top of the pops

It is a tragic loss of life when a person is so young and full of life. However there is some small comfort from the fact that he was doing what he loved best and nature decided his number was up. None of us are going to get out of this adventure alive.

I stood waiting for my bacon sarnie yesterday and read the headlines about a father who was 52 who went out to look for his collie dog and was beaten senseless for fun. He died. I would find that incredibly hard to deal with. God or nature is one thing, but being murdered for fun is totally incomprehensible to me.

On that morbid note I will go and look for a lighter subject to read now.

Verity.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body