PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:53 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Everyone
Just thought I'd let you read a piece from today's Daily Express

NO TOON ARE NOT THE SPECIAL ONES !
LEADER OF THE PACK: Keegan pictured in 2002

Wednesday January 23,2008
By Mick Dennis Have your say(0)
KEVIN KEEGAN has achieved something nobody else in Newcastle’s long history has managed. He has made the rest of the country loathe them.

For generations most of us have rather liked Geordies. On the whole they are sociable folk, and it is good they have a strong sense of identity and are proud of their area and its heritage.

Most of us have quite liked their football club as well. And we have empathised with their lack of trophies, and cherish memories of the kamikaze style they developed the last time Keegan was in charge.

But his third coming as a Messiah has helped sustain the Geordie delusion that Newcastle are a “special” club, whose success is pre-ordained – and that has infuriated the rest of the land beyond endurance.

Newcastle is a one-club city, agreed. Their ground is in the city centre. It is the fifth biggest stadium in England (after Wembley, Twickenham, Old Trafford and the Emirates) and because St James’ is built on raised ground it looks absolutely huge. If you visit as an away fan, you have to climb 14 flights of stairs and sit so high in a corner of a towering stand that the players look like Subbuteo figures.

When he tells us that we don’t understand the passion of the Newcastle fans, it enrages the country.

Okay, it’s a big ground. It is central to the life of the city. We accept all that. But all that mick about Geordies being more passionate and loyal than the supporters of other clubs is an insult to fans in the rest of the country – and statistics show it is a myth.

Newcastle (population 280,000) had an average attendance of just 16,879 when they had a dodgy season in what is now the Championship in 1991. Norwich (population 126,000) had an average of 24,545 last season despite a dismal Championship campaign.

Or what about Leeds? They know a bit more about disappointment than Newcastle, I’d suggest, yet in the third tier attendances have averaged more than 27,000.

SEARCH COLUMNISTS for:

When Manchester City were playing at that level, they drew an average of 28,273. Nottingham Forest, another club who could tell Newcastle a tale or too about unfulfilled hopes, managed an average of 20,612 in League One last season.

Of course, attendances are not the only measure of loyalty or passion. That’s why I’d nominate the supporters of Rochdale as being truly remarkable. There are fewer than 3,000 hardcore fans, but they punt up week after week to cheer, despite having precious little to cheer about. Dale are the least successful club in the history of the Football League.

Most clubs are unsuccessful. That is the inevitable and irrevocable truth about football. Yet the level of support all the way down the game’s pyramid is astonishing. No country on the planet can match it.

That is what is special – not the fact that a big city with a big stadium attracts big Premier League crowds.

If you go to any motorway service station on any Saturday morning in the season you will find knots of supporters from all over the country. They are spending their time and money criss-crossing the land following clubs who would give anything to reach 12th place in the Premier League (which is where Newcastle sit).

Keegan, from Doncaster, tells us that Newcastle are a unique club, with unique supporters who deserve success. He makes it sound like an evangelical crusade. He said something similar when he took over at Manchester City, by the way, and it is wrong-headed bunkum.

When he tells us that we don’t understand the passion of the Newcastle fans, it is an affront that has enraged the rest of the country.

We do understand it. We share it. It is the way we feel about our clubs

So There you have it, it's good enough for me ! Toon are nowt special after all! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:35 pm 
Major

Don't you think it would be better for you to think of and post something positive about your own tean rather than continuosly having a Pop at the TOON!

Little it jealous are you?

"Be who you are, not what others want you to be"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:05 pm 
Top of the pops

I think I've been here with you before haven't I ?
I thought it was an interesting post and as I quite like the exchange of opinions I have with some toon folk on here, thought I would post it. I'm sure they will find it an intersting post as well, sorry mate if you didn't. :cry:
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:16 am 
Now, Now boys, we all love our teams, no matter who they be & yes DP the article is interesting & maybe the rest of the country do loathe us but then again wasn't it the same for Man U in the 90's & look what they did :wink:

I've supported them for 16 years now & no matter what happens I'll support them through thick or thin, probably the same as you support your team but at present all the press is about us & I think other fans are getting a little jealous about that but don't blame the TOON for that mate, its the southern press thats writing about us, not us :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:01 am 
Top of the pops

Pete,
Exactly, your team is in the press daily and that is why there are so many posts about them on here at the mo. They are topical.
I will continue with my share of the banter but as the toon become less topical I'm sure the banter will decrease as well.
I'll tell you what, I'll just follow LF9's signature.
While I'm on, if no one minds, I'll just mention that the Southampton manager's post seems to be up for grabs. 8)
Kindest Regards as usual, Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:06 am 
I heard Glenn Hoddle was taking the job :?

Mate, all the banter on here is welcome but there will be times when some people don't agree with each other, then we just have to remember its suppose to be friendly banter :wink:

I know from other forums that banter sometimes gets out of hand & thats down to the people being passionate about their particular team but we just have to remember its only banter & nothing is ever meant by it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:19 pm 
Top of the pops

Seems Saints are going for Ince. Do they know something we don't know ?
Papers said today that whoever gets it won't have any dosh so that might have put the other candidates off.
Seems Boro are signing Afonso Alves. They are paying in excess of £12m. He was available for £6m last summer. He's Brazilian and looks very very good. That's them outa the relegation battle.
Us ? we've paid £2m for a Swedish striker who's goalscoring record is average to say the least !
Still he's gotta be quicker than Yorke and Cole !
Gary 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:31 pm 
SSN says the deal isn't sealed yet, so maybe another club might come in & steal him from under their nose :wink:

We're suppose to be after Modric, supposedly from under the nose of Chelski, Arsenil & ManC.. should be a good deal if we get him :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:41 am 
Junior

has any one heard the new song King Kevin -- on the north east news tonight. :guitar :party. Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:15 am 
Top of the pops

I know plenty of songs about KK and his club. Loads in fact, but I couldn't present them on here.
Have to say though, I've pm'd them to several posters who have had a chuckle then returned the compliment slagging my club off.
Isn't that what it's all about ?
I would like to hear the latest offering be it complimentary or not and if you don't think it's suitable for a public airing.......pm us all.
Sunland Till I Die, Gary 8)

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body