Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:07 pm

Watch Live Sport-channels Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who'll go up?
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:57 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Now we've finally managed to free ourselves from the overpaid, over-rated and monotonous borefest known as the Premier League, let's get down to some serious predictions for next season. I'm obviously going to miss the excitement of wondering whether we'll get humped by 4 or 5 against the "Big 4" but life goes on, so here goes....

Obviously Newcastle will be among the early favourites to win the league, but I fancy WBA to do very well - they're ideally equipped for this level and know what needs to be done. The smogs should do OK as well, as they have a decent core of young players to call upon. Beaten play-off finalists Sheff Utd should feature, while Roy Keane has experience of dragging rubbish clubs out of this division, so may do Ok with Ipswich...

My top 6:

WBA
Newcastle
smogs
Sheff Utd
Swansea
Ipswich

Post subject: Re: Who'll go up?
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:34 pm 
Star

I think WBA are almost dead certs they have the experience, Sheff United and Reading will be there abouts; outsider chance QPR.

As a neutral, with no vendetta against them, I just can't see Newcastle adjusting quick enough to make a return straight back to the Premiership. There need to be huge changes across the board at the club for them to be able to stand any chance of achieving promotion. I hope I am wrong.

The main question is: with the increased number of games in the Championship, just how many managers will Newcastle go through in their Championship season?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:15 pm 
Web-Site Admin

An awful lot hinges on whether Shearer can be persuaded to stay, and giving him full backing and some money to restructure things.

The wage bill is way too big, but with Owen and Viduka out of contract, if we could shift out the likes of Geremi, Smith, Barton, Cacapa, Coloccini there's around 25 million a year saved just getting rid of players who've contributed sod all anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:43 pm 
Star

Captain Fantastic wrote:
The wage bill is way too big, but with Owen and Viduka out of contract, if we could shift out the likes of Geremi, Smith, Barton, Cacapa, Coloccini there's around 25 million a year saved just getting rid of players who've contributed sod all anyway.

No doubt that Spurs will be linked with all of them throughout the close season! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:57 pm 
Top of the pops

Obviously Newcastle will be among the early favourites...............................why exactly ?
As the outright winner of the who'll go down competition who put his money where his mouth was I ask if you are gonna do the same ?
I see you got in first with it has to be said 6 fairly safe guesses.
At the moment I don't feel I know enough about the competition in the lower leagues so may abstain and give everyone else a chance.
However, if you were to put your money where your mouth is I will re consider.
I'll give you a hint though Martin, have a deadline after which you will not accept bids !
Good Luck everyone, Gary, in the only League that counts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:32 am 
Web-Site Admin

discopants wrote:
Obviously Newcastle will be among the early favourites...............................why exactly ?

Ask the bookies:

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/coca-cola-championship/promotion

I may consider ruinning a competition nearer the start of the season, but if I do I'll at least make it a condition that i can't win my own prize - typical tight mackem! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:54 pm 
Top of the pops

Why shouldn't I be allowed to win my own prize ?
The prize was offered to the guy with the closest bets....that was me.
I certainly would have paid up if it was not me, I was gonna give you the 50 euro in September to hand over to the winner.
Bit disrespectful there marra, only trying to drum up some interest on the forum.
Gary
Here's something to read.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 367739.ece
As for the bookies, that's just because all the geordies are putting their dole money on Anal to bring them back up. No one else believes it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:34 am 
Web-Site Admin

10 reasons to cheer leaving the Premier League:

Quote:
1) 'Premier League' on Sky Sports - It occurred to me more than ever last night, whilst watching last night's Champions League Final and suffering The Hairy Hand Man's Gang incessantly hyping up the game, that Sky Sports really are the scum of football.

From lingering around grounds with their wagon, cameras and propensity to target the biggest no-toothed, slack-jawed mongrel they can find in a replica shirt, through to coining the self-love fest that is 'Grand Slam Sunday' they've become so detached from the match going fan that it really is beyond insufferable. They are almost American in their desire for the razmatazz.

In a 20 team league where 16 clubs are barely worth a mention, their employment of some of the most f*ckwitted presenters around, namely Keys, Gray, Redknapp and Souness (not to mention Martin bloody Tyler) is a further gripe. And don't get me started on Phil Thompson. The things I could do to the Scouse gimp with a pair of garden shears goes beyond the unmentionable.

After 16 years of the soulless satellite sods, it's fantastic to see the back of the gang. Whether it's ITV or BBC who hold the rights to the highlights, it'll be far better than 'Keysie' and co.

2) New Grounds - Of the 19 away grounds in the Premier League, we potentially get maybe two new away trips a season (less if the clubs coming up are 'bounce backs'). Whilst the media (Keys and Co again) love the hype of the Anfield atmosphere on a European night, it's hardly a cauldron on a Sunday at 1:30 when they are performing their now routine howking of us.

So many trips have lost that edge, atmosphere and excitement that used to exist. Only Stoke this season was really worth a visit, with the presence of the knuckle-draggers from the Potteries a much livelier affair than the moribund regulation trips to half-empty and half-arsed Blackburn, Wigan and Bolton.

Of the grounds in the Championship, there will be the likes of WBA, Boro, Coventry, Reading and Sheffield United who we've visited recently. However that still leaves a whole host of new trips to have a gander at.

3) Points win prizes - Once again we come back to the point of the league which only three clubs can win. Whilst Arsenal are a permanent fixture in the top four, they're not really in with any shout of winning it. That leaves three teams that can win the trophy. Much like the supermarket business being dominated by a big four, so is the PL.

Scrapping for the leftovers off their top table doesn't really make for a lot of enthusiasm, no matter how much the race for a Europa League place is hyped up.

The Championship remains one of the most open leagues around. It'll be nice to be actively competing for a trophy again, rather than being cannon fodder.

4) Away day winnability - Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Anfield and Arsenal. All grounds where we've just routinely gone to be sacrificial lambs. No win at Anfield since 94, since 73 at Old Trafford, since the 80s at Stamford Bridge. Highbury was a slightly happier hunting ground but the succession of 3-0 hidings at the Emirates means that getting a point at any of those four gets celebrated like a win. Desperate.

We now drop into a league where every game at every ground is winnable. It'll be a refreshing change to see sides set up to go and win rather than shoving 5 into defence and 5 into midfield.

5) Pricing - £50 for Chelsea, £46 for Spurs, bloody £40 quid for a trip to the sh*t tip that is the Reebok. Obscene.

With the recession showing no signs of abating, a season of £20-£30 tickets is a welcome change for the scheisters who charge corporate prices for everyday fans.

6) Blooding the youngsters - Half the criticism of the existing crop of crap was that they didn't care. The chance to see some prospects come through who have that unbridled energy so sadly missing from the cloggers like Nolan and Butt is going to be a real bonus. So what if they make a few mistakes along the way - at least they care!

7) Seaside Trips - Blackpool and Plymouth make a canny change from our current runs out to Fratton Park and Kosovo upon Wear. The carnage on an away weekend to Bloomfield Road doesn't bear thinking about.

8) Back into Europe - Tackling the Taffs means trips across the border to Cardiff and Swansea. Despite running the gauntlet of the Soul Crew and Jack Army, we can at least peddle the myth of two trips to Europe. After all - the mackems managed it with Cardiff for years.

9) JCLs out - Hopefully some of the first casualties of the relegation will be the braying JCL corporate whores that fester in our ground. The same people who used 'going to the footy' as some sort of statement akin to turning out at try hard bars like Tup Tup Palace or The Apartment with their money shot haircuts and bright pink shirts. Hopefully the cull of these tossers will lead to the lost generation starting to get to see the team.

10) 46 games - Equals more home games and away trips - result!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body