Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:40 am 
Top of the pops

Pete .... im surprised at such a wide list of things that could go wrong - any chance of a screen shot of this error ?

You are sure of its authenticity ? I've seen malware create popups with links to dodgy sites that will "fix" it before !

Which Operating System are you using ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:19 pm 
Hi mate,

It a report from Microsoft themselves after I submitted a de-bug error, I'm unable to give you a screen shot but did print it off, just incase I need to take the PC to get it fixed, is says:

'This problem was caused by an unrecoverable hardware error that caused the OS to stop functioning'!

'Although we know the problem is caused by a hardware component, the erroe report does notcontain enough information to tell us the specific component. It is likely that the problem is being caused by one of the following computer compnents':

*Randon Access Memory (RAM)
*System Board
*Cntral Processing Unit (CPU)
*Power Supply

There are other bits written about backing up my data to avoid loss in case of complete hardware failure etc also :shock: :shock:

I'm currently using OS Win XP sp2, been haviinga few problems lately with booting up but thought it was down to software, didn't think of the hardware, saying that, the PC was built by a friend some 6 years ago & I've updated RAM, HDD, DVD,CD since then too, so any of the above could be about to fail due to age :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:29 pm 
Top of the pops

If i had the machine in my hands i`d unplug all peripherals, and remove all non required cards. Disable all integrated motherboard hardware, remove all but on RAM stick. Re start machine and see if problem occurs still if not, then one-by-one add hardware back in, reboot and check for stability.

If the fault shows on a basic coe system then personally i`d wipe the HDD (having taken my data off) and reinstall OS from scratch, update fully, then slowly add hardware back in.

If even with basic core system and no extra hardware the error is there then start to try and replace core components if possible but considering CPU type is probably no longer available, new motherboard may need new CPU/RAM possibly VGA card which will then mean new drivers and probably a fresh Operating System install anyway.

Could just be time to buy new ?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:39 pm 
I think you're last comment was probably right :lol: :lol:

The amount of times I've stripped this box down & rebuilt it from scratch, I'm surprised its not failed me before, so I'll need to see about getting a new one :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:49 pm 
Top of the pops

You could spend hours or even days polishing that old turd ... and what you end up with ? a polished old turd is still an old turd.

Just go new fresh new polished turd !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:06 pm 
What do you think of this one:

Honest opinion, as always :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:11 pm 
Top of the pops

Pete

Obviously it all comes down to what you will be doing with it .... so what is the intended usage ?

BTW I have no idea whether you have a turd or not ... just making light hearted comment(s) !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:32 pm 
Oh I think its past being a turd mate, more like sloppy left overs to be honest :lol:

Well it'll be used for mainly doing the forum duties, plus my Itunes & general business paperwork etc etc :?

Not into games orable to do graphic designs but I like my PC to run smoothly, no matter how many site, programmes are open, so I think thats a decent looking setup, which will last a few years :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Pete I was just looking on that site too. Since we have now spent £200 on this PC and although it works it is just too slow so thought if we could afford a new one and then just network them up.

My use would be for his music, plus the web site, and basic bits and bobs.

Out of curiousity what is lightscribe?

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:30 pm 
No idea Trish :? it just sounds good :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:38 pm 
Top of the pops

Shame that some on e-bay don't send to here - an awful lot cheaper. One with about the same specs is only £176 including free delivery in UK.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:56 pm 
Top of the pops

Presume that is Cyprus Pounds so around €580 - is that the best you will get for your money ? Its hard to tell withou trawling the bricks n mortar in Paphos/Cyprus - is their cheaper available mail order - for sure - but getting here could make that saving negligable.

As technology moves so fast that to remain totally fresh is time consuming. Dual Core 3Ghz and 1Gb ram with 160Gb of HDD ... sounds more than plenty for what you have said ... and then plug your USB HDD in or burn to DVD to make backups.

lightscribe, for me, is not a deal breaker. It allows you to physically draw (scribe) on the surface is CD/DVD that you are writing on ... so you don't have to use marker pen ... ooo ! read about lightscribe here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightScribe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:07 pm 
Top of the pops

It was sterling I was talking about so £176 is a real bargain.

Thanks for the lightscribe answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:47 pm 
Further to my original question, I have 3 x 512mb DDR2 in my PC, if one goes down, what effect would this have on the PC :?

Will it run but give me the error's I've been getting :?:

The reason I'm asking this now is, when my pc booted up this morning, it normally gets upto 157***** but this morning it only went to 104***** :? :? Any idea's :!:

It might be that one of my 512mb DDR2's has crashed, if this is so, it will be soooooooo much cheaper to repair than buy new :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:12 pm 
Regular

Hi Pete,

Remove 2 of the 512drs, leaving one only. Boot the machine and see what it does. If it fails, take out the one stick, put one of the others in, try again. If it ok, put another stick in and try again.

at least you will find out if you have a faulty ram chip.

It is possible that one of the chips is not quite seated fully. At least a new chip is only about 20 quid.

regards

Digby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:57 am 
Well I went wholehog & replaced my 3 x 512mb RAM chips with 2 x 1024mb instead, so I now have 2gb of RAM instead of 1.5gb & it started no problem, still got the 3 x 512mb, just incase I need more RAM :lol: :lol: Not sure which one is fualty but 1 of them is :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:04 am 
Top of the pops

Pete wrote:
...Not sure which one is fualty but 1 of them is :roll:
Without technical testing tools the only way is through process of elimination suggested originally !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:23 pm 
Well I eliminated all 3 of them for now :roll: as I don't have the time to be faffing around with them, so I'm good now :D :D

Thanks for the help :D

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body