Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:39 am 
Web-Site Admin

Date finally called:

Quote:
PM to announce 6 May general election

The three main party leaders will go head-to-head live on television
Prime Minister Gordon Brown is preparing to announce that the general election will be held on 6 May.

Following a cabinet meeting, he will go to Buckingham Palace to ask the Queen to dissolve Parliament.

On returning from the Palace he will confirm the widely-predicted date and call the election "the big choice".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8603591.stm

Polls are still quite close - could be an interesting few weeks ahead....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:56 am 
Forum Admin

I dont really get into how or who is running the UK
but I think that labour will win again ...

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:40 pm 
Top of the pops

Brown is going to get his bum kicked I think!. Hopefully then the country will be put back onto the right track.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:33 pm 
Rock Star

Have to agree with your comments Talullah. If Brown and his sleazy scumbag co-horts ( sorry I mean fellow MP's) get back in then UK will suffer more and more doo doo from which it will never recover.
Tony Bliar inherited a rich country and him and Brown and Prescott, The blind bloke, Darling and that sleazy piece of slime "Lord" Mandelson have ruined the UK almost to the point that it will be difficult for ANY other party to bring UK back to prosperity.
Don't forget that in the last election 33% of the 25% of the electorate who bothered to vote, voted New Labour. And that is the only reason the sleazebag Bliar got back in.
You probably won't notice in this answer but I really don't like New Labour. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:53 pm 
Top of the pops

Do you know Outa, I am very perceptice and am picking up vibes that you don't like NL?!!. They inherited a great economy from Major, Brown then sold off Britains gold reserves at record lows, AGAINST the advice of Bank of England!. That cost teh country twice as much as Black Wednesday. Also, his tax relief snatch on pensions is believed to have cost in the region of one hundred million pounds. So, yes, if people want to vote em in again then they will get exactly what they deserve, once again British apathy rears its head!.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:32 pm 
Rock Star

So !!! You detected my slight dislike, and I thought it was so well hidden. The straw that broke my back was the Pension snatch. I had £180K in my pension fund....worth £63 when I had to cash it in and I have a grand amount of £283 per month and all due to that (just think of any nasty words) Brown and his thieving.
Still, mustn't grumble.
I'll say hello one of these days at the duckpond. Soon as my good lady wife allows me to eat Licorice Torpedoes again :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:47 pm 
Top of the pops

haha, it really does disgust me at how the hard working people who have saved for their retirement have been treated. Yet they continue to vote these theiving people in, why?. Yes, do say hello, be nice to meet you both!.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:25 pm 
Junior

Tallulah Savage wrote:
haha, it really does disgust me at how the hard working people who have saved for their retirement have been treated. Yet they continue to vote these theiving people in, why?. Yes, do say hello, be nice to meet you both!.

Looks like you are accusing all MPs as being thieves, be very careful you may ruin someones reputation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:57 pm 
Top of the pops

Peter Pann wrote:
Tallulah Savage wrote:

Looks like you are accusing all MPs as being thieves, be very careful you may ruin someones reputation.

Are you denying Browns pension fund grab, or his selling off gold cheap?. If anyone wishes to sue me then I will be glad to see them in court!. Oh I had to add, 'ruin someones reputation' oh how terribly funny!. Do you think MP's are viewed with respect by the general public???. The Labour party have done immeasurable damage to Britain and its fabric of society, so honestly I don't think anyone should be accusing me of trying to ruin anyones reputation by presenting FACTS!. Now I suggest you run along and cause mischief elsewhere! :mrgreen:

Last edited by Tallulah Savage on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:02 pm 
Rock Star

Well lads get used to a lot of this:

For me, Brown is the best of a very bad bunch - I can't even begin to imagine a reign of David Cameron and his school friends... careful what you wish for!!

Yxx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:10 pm 
Top of the pops

Yet again I find myself agreeing with Peps. I also think Brown is the best of a very bad bunch. But it actually doesn't matter as whoever you vote for, whoever gets in, the same people will be running the country as have always done.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:23 pm 
Rock Star

See, where UK goes wrong in voting these people in, is that they vote them in. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 am 
Web-Site Admin

With the main parties policies being virtually inextinguishable from each other (plus the fact they're reluctant to actually admit to any policies as they're going to involve cuts) then it does become an election on personalities, and I have to admit there's something about David "call me Dave" Cameron that gives me the creeps - might be his smug face on all those posters, or possibly the fact that he reminds me of this Harry Enfield character:

I think the Conservatives made a mistake appointing a leader that fits so neatly with their party's stereotype - one of the reasons New Labour were so successful was that Tony Blair was more appealing to a wider audience - a step away from the Trade Union style leaders people were more wary of.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:44 am 
Top of the pops

Trouble is though CF, Brown has played right into the hands of those who warn about Old Labour and strikes etc of the 1970's. That and some of the catastrophic decisions he has made, gold sell off, pension tax grab, which are going to haunt people for a very long time. Cameron ha a more youthful fresh appeal I think. But, its up to the public to decide, and I think it may well surprise a few people. There hows that for a hedge your bets statement!.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:20 am 
Top of the pops

Forgetting the internal Uk politics - just for a moment and thinking what it means for Cyprus and most of the retired ex-pats living here.

Brown and labour - re-elected.
Pound about parity with the euro
Interest rates continuing at their lowest rate ever so the Government can borrow cheaply and the banks can build up their profits.

Conservatives Elected.
International confidence from markets.
UK open for business
Pound & interest rates will rise.

So as far as I can see a Labour victory will mean more ex-pats returning and less tourists coming to Cyprus. In short an even longer recession in Cyprus and possibly a Greek scenario as it appears no-one is really sure the correct Cypriot figures.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:31 am 
Junior

Tallulah Savage wrote:
Peter Pann wrote:
Tallulah Savage wrote:

Are you denying Browns pension fund grab, or his selling off gold cheap?. If anyone wishes to sue me then I will be glad to see them in court!. Oh I had to add, 'ruin someones reputation' oh how terribly funny!. Do you think MP's are viewed with respect by the general public???. The Labour party have done immeasurable damage to Britain and its fabric of society, so honestly I don't think anyone should be accusing me of trying to ruin anyones reputation by presenting FACTS!. Now I suggest you run along and cause mischief elsewhere! :mrgreen:

I think that I am entitled to my opinion just like anyone else, unless you believe in police states. Any elected Government does what it thinks is best for the people of Britain. Everyone agrees that the NHS, schools, pensioners etc deserve more but the same people moan when they have to pay more for the services. It appears that it is ok by you to collect more tax as long as it does not affect you. I will continue to express my opinions without the brand of rudeness you use.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:31 am 
Web-Site Admin

I'm not entirely sure where the idea that a Conservative victory will be good for the economy is coming from, unless it's just "they can't do any worse" - I believe they're advocating quicker and deeper spending cuts than Labour, which may increase international confidence in the UK's ability to deal with their deficit, but will also have a knock-on effect for the average household spending power.

Also need to take into account that Shadow Chancellor George Osborne has zero relevant financial experience - can we really trust such a delicate economic state to a man whose experience prior to joining the Conservative party reads thus (from Wiki)

Quote:
Osborne's first job was to provide data entry services to the National Health Service to record the names of people who had died in London. He also briefly worked for Selfridges. He originally intended to pursue a career as a journalist, but after missing out on a position at a national newspaper, was informed of a vacant job at the Conservative Central Office.

How on earth did this guy get such a prestigious position? Possibly something to do with this (also Wiki)

Quote:
Whilst at Oxford, Osborne was a member of the Bullingdon Club, a private dining club of Oxford University students; it was "infamous for riotous behaviour" and was open only to sons of aristocratic families and the wealthy. Osborne's friends David Cameron and Nat Rothschild were also members of the club.

Ther're all as bad as each other if you ask me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:04 am 
Top of the pops

"I'm not entirely sure where the idea that a Conservative victory will be good for the economy is coming from"

Martin - international markets. The pound has put on 4 cents since the Conservative lead has increased to 10%. If you read the Reuters and other FX releases you will see markets do not trust Brown or Darling with getting Uk out of the mess.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:08 pm 
Top of the pops

I think that I am entitled to my opinion just like anyone else, unless you believe in police states. Any elected Government does what it thinks is best for the people of Britain. Everyone agrees that the NHS, schools, pensioners etc deserve more but the same people moan when they have to pay more for the services. It appears that it is ok by you to collect more tax as long as it does not affect you. I will continue to express my opinions without the brand of rudeness you use.[/quote]

Do as you please, I may even be lucky enough to have a website devoted to me!.
Do Governments really just do what they think is best for the people of Britain?. I'm not quite so sure about that, perhaps you would like to explain the Iraq War, dossiers and weapons of mass destruction?. Whether they collect more or less tax is up to them, but again i shall state the facts, Britains gold was sold off by Brown cheaply, AGAINST the advice of the Bank of England, his pension tax grab has caused untold misery to millions, neither of these can surely be counted as being the best for British residents?. Maybe I am missing the point!. Oh, and call me rude if you will, your choice, however I do think glass houses and people really don't mix!.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:36 pm 
Top of the pops

Come on Girls :handbags

Now does anyone else think Mervyn King was a major contributor to the recession and collapse of the pound? OK, so Gordon had a dithering hand in it but was Mervyns relentless day in, day out, pessimism a self fulling prophecy?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:40 pm 
Top of the pops

I don't think so Dave. I do think that Browns disastrous policies which the BoE and economists would have studied earlier and in far more detail than the average person really were too frightening for the markets. Yes there has obviously been a major recession but I honestly think Britain could have been in a much better position to weather it. However there are others who think Brown is going to get us through it, forgetting that he put us there in the first place!. The next few years are going to be very tough for Britain, much like they were in Thtchers early rule.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:16 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Polemi Dave wrote:
Martin - international markets. The pound has put on 4 cents since the Conservative lead has increased to 10%. If you read the Reuters and other FX releases you will see markets do not trust Brown or Darling with getting Uk out of the mess.

Yep, I get that it's what the markets are thinking, I'm just not sure the reality will match the expectation - what we seem to have currently is:

-Labour can't announce cuts in the run up to an election as they're already struggling for popularity. Plus announcing major cuts is difficult without admitting at least an element of guilt.

-The Conservatives are happy to announce that they'll take dramatic action to cut the deficit, just seem a bit cloudy on the details of how they're actually going to pay for it - it's easy to promise the earth from opposition pre-election as if you do get in you've got 5 years until you can be held accountable.

It's going to be a very difficult time, whoever gets in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:28 pm 
Top of the pops

You are not kidding, we are in for a long hard time whoever get's in. The thing is can you trust the Labour party ?
I don't think I can. Do they deserve another chance ? I don't think they do.
Gary

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body