The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Immovable Property Tax
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:34 pm 
Top of the pops

Received my bill for IPT today, which was the same charge as last year.

Pay by end of October and get a discount. Pay after end November and pay a penalty.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:17 am 
Rock Star

Josef k I believe transfer fees for deeds are infinate too

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:45 am 
Top of the pops

Can the IPT be paid if the title deeds have yet to be received, and paid to an official department, rather than to
the builder, please?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:40 am 
Rock Star

http://talanews.blogspot.com/2014/09/tala-council-newsletter-september-2014.html#more

This is a very informative newsletter from Tala Council which covers most aspects of the changes & charges in respect of IPT for 2014 & what is proposed for 2015.
It is the only information I've found that clarifies the information so succinctly.
Not sure I should be letting 'outsiders' in on it, but I'm sure you'll benefit from it, as I did.

Late in the day I know (decisions were taken back in January 2014), it's only taken 9 months to reach the light of day for those affected - but why are we not surprised, this is Cyprus!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:52 pm 
Top of the pops

Topgun wrote:
http://talanews.blogspot.com/2014/09/tala-council-newsletter-september-2014.html#more

This is a very informative newsletter from Tala Council which covers most aspects of the changes & charges in respect of IPT for 2014 & what is proposed for 2015.
It is the only information I've found that clarifies the information so succinctly.
Not sure I should be letting 'outsiders' in on it, but I'm sure you'll benefit from it, as I did.

Late in the day I know (decisions were taken back in January 2014), it's only taken 9 months to reach the light of day for those affected - but why are we not surprised, this is Cyprus!

Thank you Topgun. Brilliant information. Took me three hours this morning at The Inland Revenue, but all now registered,
and taken a huge weight off my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:00 pm 
Graduate

I have been patiently(?) waiting for my IPT demand to arrive, but no sign of it yet! Can anybody tell me:
1. How do I find out how much I have to pay?
2. Where do I pay it?
Any advice gratefully accepted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:04 pm 
Top of the pops

You can pay it at the cash desk of the Tax Office (in the government buildings opposite the courthouse). If you are registered for property tax then it should be the same as last year. If you aren't then you will have to go up to the tax office as Wavy Dave has done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:49 am 
Regular

We don't have our deeds (14 years waiting) and we are invoiced annually for an exhorbitant sum of IPT by our developer. But this year we were aware that we had to pay the Inland Revenue direct. On Monday this week we attended the 2nd floor of the IR Block complete with contract, passports, tax nos. An extremely helpful young man calculated the amount due, by assessing the 1980 value of our property. A printed invoice was presented to us. We then went to the ground floor cashier, queued up and paid the account less 15% discount. We were out - job completed in less than an hour. By the way we are ignoring our developers invoices - where else in the world would you pay an Inland revenue bill to the developer? The annual figure on the developers invoice, is more than double the figure calculated by the IR official.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:34 am 
Star

Our family here own five properties between us..Not one of us as yet received an IPT bill..Three of the properties have title deeds and two have not...Any help please.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:24 am 
Regular

VINE. As far as the properties without deeds are concerned. Go to 2nd floor of land registry block. 1st two offices when you exit lift. They will calculate 1980 value and give you the bill there and then. Don't forget, contract plans, tax no and passport. Only took aboutn15 mins. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:38 pm 
Graduate

We have title deeds in joint names and just went in, one of the two young ladies on reception on the ground floor was able to produce invoices for each of us, with just our names and date of birth. We then paid at the cashiers desk on the same floor by debit card.
In and out in 10 minutes!!!

(If you have your tax number it is even quicker).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:12 pm 

Our developer has not applied for division of our development yet (10 years down the line!), never asked for any IPT payments and we are applying for deeds directly through the LR. They have informed us that the 1980 valuation is not available yet.

I went to see Mr Nicolas on floor 2 above the Tax Cashier (located where fashionista said) to see how I could pay IPT without a 1980 valuation.

I took our contract of sale and a completed (as far as possible) F318. He advised me that I could pay IPT for this year and then went into a huddle with another taxman. They multiplied the square area of our plot by 200 (not sure where the 200 came from), divided the amount by 2 (Joint contract) and told us to pay that amount downstairs at the cashiers. I will be checking out this method of calculation before paying mind you.

Gret

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:45 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
Three of the properties have title deeds and two have not...Any help please.

Hi Vine,
Have you read my previous post & followed the link?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:01 am 
Star

Thanks Topgun,,will do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:00 pm 
Star

Thanks again topgun,have now read it.But i can not find if the bands quoted for the 1980 values are shared by two if the property is in joint names

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:43 pm 
Top of the pops

vine wrote:
Thanks again topgun,have now read it.But i can not find if the bands quoted for the 1980 values are shared by two if the property is in joint names

The 1980 value of the property (regardless of the year it was built, even if later) is reduced by 11,500 if the property sale of
contract states there are two people who purchased it, and these two do not have to be married. Unless you own a villa, you are likely to find that the 1980 valuation precludes you from paying any IPT, which is obviously good news!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:40 pm 
Top of the pops

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:59 pm 
Graduate

Wavy Dave wrote:
vine wrote:

The 1980 value of the property (regardless of the year it was built, even if later) is reduced by 11,500 if the property sale of
contract states there are two people who purchased it, and these two do not have to be married. Unless you own a villa, you are likely to find that the 1980 valuation precludes you from paying any IPT, which is obviously good news!

Not for us, we have, what in the UK would be called an end of terrace and we bought in joint names, we pay IPT of €81, before discount, each.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:35 am 
Top of the pops

tanny wrote:

11500 we were told.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:36 am 
Top of the pops

john B wrote:
We have title deeds in joint names and just went in, one of the two young ladies on reception on the ground floor was able to produce invoices for each of us, with just our names and date of birth. We then paid at the cashiers desk on the same floor by debit card.
In and out in 10 minutes!!!

(If you have your tax number it is even quicker).

Very good point made there by "john B" re the tax number if you already have one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:26 pm 
Top of the pops

Unfair or what - I live alone and finish up,paying €103 IPT, my neighbours in identical property can share the property value and so both pay nil.

What a crazy rule , it's a property tax, not a personal tax and should be based solely on the property value regardless of how many people own it.

Jacs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:20 pm 
Star

Sorry,even more questions :banghead

If your 1980 valuation is 12,000euros or less and in joint names then you pay nowt??
If this is so,do you still get any notification by mail,or do you have to still attend the land registry and beg their mercy. :shock:

Please help this confused old timer..oh and the wife. :-(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:38 pm 
Top of the pops

vine wrote:
Sorry,even more questions :banghead

If your 1980 valuation is 12,000euros or less and in joint names then you pay nowt??
If this is so,do you still get any notification by mail,or do you have to still attend the land registry and beg their mercy. :shock:

Please help this confused old timer..oh and the wife. :-(

Vine, you are correct. There would be nothing to pay. I went to the IR office, as per Topgun's excellent advice, and made sure
I was registered for this year and therefore automatically for future years. However, the miserable one on the front counter would not process it, as I had nothing to pay on the 1980 value of the house, so I went on up to the next floor where a very helpful lady registered everything for me,and gave me a printout of this years nil balance to pay. As already mentioned by another helpful poster on here, if you are already registered for tax purposes here, then take along your reference number and it makes the whole process easier.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:54 pm 
Star

Thanks Dave.So me and the better half will take no further action. :congrats

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:31 pm 
Regular

We have a 3 bed, 2 bathroom detached bungalow, large plot and very large covered area ( which was calculated when assessing the IPT). 1980 value was 31,000 and we are. Paying 93 euros each per year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:03 pm 
Top of the pops

Any other single owners out there disgusted by the discrimination in this tax???

Jacs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:16 pm 
Top of the pops

George wrote:
Any other single owners out there disgusted by the discrimination in this tax???

Jacs

You live in Cyprus. Their country - they make the rules. Let's face it we would all be paying a lot more in
the UK for council tax!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body