The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:37 am 
Forum Admin

After following the fergusan story for a few days and thinking
if only they had charged the police officer , this whole thing would have never got this big..

I have just been reading the worlds press on this case and find it rather disturding ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30207155

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:34 am 
Top of the pops

Its a difficult one, maybe Mayor Vergas should go and adjudicate between them to find a settlement.........

Are they giving a different value to life based on race? It may seem so!
Will anyone really know what went on after all the press coverage and story manipulation? Probably not.

What will the outcome be? An even harder one in my opinion. But Starting Human rights on its own soil should become a priority for Mr Obama.

But Feguson himself! I think he should return to Man U for at least another 2 seasons to stop the freefall.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:47 pm 
Forum Admin

I personally think black americans are getting a raw deal ..
this has caused world wide condemnation for a president who is preaching human rights to the rest of the world

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:28 pm 
Top of the pops

to grasp the whole enchilada of those event, you should live there for awhile... I wouldn't touch the can of worms.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:18 pm 
Idol

Have a listen to this guy; talks a lot of sense.

https://www.facebook.com/ajax/sharer/?s ... 5511367677

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:20 pm 
Forum Admin

Nosher wrote:
Have a listen to this guy; talks a lot of sense.

https://www.facebook.com/ajax/sharer/?s ... 5511367677

the link is not working pete ??

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Another similar incident.
http://rt.com/usa/209259-police-boy-shot-toy-gun/

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:55 pm 
Junior

tanny wrote:

Not at all similar. He had a very realistic looking gun which he was waving at people and pulled out of his waistband when confronted by the police. The video shows him walking about in a very cocky manner waving the gun a people. Only one person to blame for what happened. The boy himself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:16 pm 
Forum Admin

kittykat wrote:
tanny wrote:

Not at all similar. He had a very realistic looking gun which he was waving at people and pulled out of his waistband when confronted by the police. The video shows him walking about in a very cocky manner waving the gun a people. Only one person to blame for what happened. The boy himself.

News reports say he was 12 years old and never pointed the gun at the police ??
seems a bit harsh to me to be killing a 12 year old with a an air gun .

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:24 pm 
Idol

Try this one Neil; the guy talks sense. Pity so many don't listen, or want to listen.

https://www.facebook.com/johnathan.gentry.14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:03 pm 
Top of the pops

Neil wrote:
News reports say he was 12 years old and never pointed the gun at the police ??
seems a bit harsh to me to be killing a 12 year old with a an air gun .
There was a picture of the weapon in one of the news reports. I doubt that anyone could have reliably identified it as not being a firearm, without handling it. In a country where firearm ownership is endemic, where the death toll amongst police officers from shootings is alarming, don't be surprised if when appearing threatened the police shoot first. Even 12-year-olds are capable of shooting to kill.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:26 pm 
Idol

Neil wrote:
After following the fergusan story for a few days and thinking
if only they had charged the police officer , this whole thing would have never got this big..

I have just been reading the worlds press on this case and find it rather disturding ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30207155

I'd have to say I think charging a guy with a crime he didn't commit just to satisfy a baying mob of the professionally offended kinda sucks as a principle, but I suppose it is just a matter of opinion.

I think if I were a Police Officer chasing a robbery suspect, in a high crime area area where policemen are effectively shot as sport, and felt sufficiently threatened to draw my weapon, and tell a suspect to freeze, and that suspect continued to advance I'd be disinclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Its not a decision you get a second chance at being wrong. The fact that the guy actually got as far as placing his hand on the weapon seems to me to show a level of restraint on the part of the policeman I'm not sure I would be capable of.

Seems to me if you are asking these guys to put themselves in harms way for our benefit, the least we can do is support them if they feel obliged to use the weapon that we have provided them with.

Perhaps as we need to arm more and more of our Policemen, people might finally learn that if an armed policeman gives you an instruction you obey it and complain about it later, when nobody feels threatened.

On the other hand, of course, it could just be evolution in action, selecting out the stupid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:49 pm 
Top of the pops

I didn't know the details of this case, in spite of it being prime time tv for the lastfew days, I googled it and read Darren Wilsons (the cop) testimony in court.

The incident started with Wilson sitting in his patrol car and seeing two people walking towards him in the middle of the road, causing traffic to pile up and go around them.When they drew level with his car he simply asked them to walk on the sidewalk. One of them said they were nearing their destination and carried on walking, the other one Michael Brown, approached the police car.After swearing at Wilson, he then proceeded to punch him several times. Wilson eventually managed to get his gun out, at which point Brown grabbed it and tried to wrestle it from him, telling Wilson that he didn't have the pussy to shoot him. The gun eventually finished up pressed down and pointed at Wilson's groin. Wilson eventually managed to get control of the gun and attempted to fire two shots, nothing happened, just clicks. The tussle went on with two actual shots being fired into the door and upholstery of the car. Brown then ran off. Wilson followed shouting to him to stop or he would shoot.Brown dild not stop . The chase went on, Brown stopped, turned and started approaching Wilson with his left hand clenched into a fist by his side and his right hand in his waistband. Wllson shouted to Brown to stop and get on the floor, he just kept coming towards him. Wilson eventually fired and Brown died.

This is clearly a précis of both the testimony and the events, but I cannot see where, when or how Wilson did the wrong thing. Both at the car when Brown was punching him and attempting to wrestle the gun and shoot him, and in the street when he was coming towards him and refusing to stop and get down on the floor Wilson tried to do what he could to restrain and stop him. He failed. Is that a criminal offence?

I fail to see where race discrimination comes into this case at all. Wilson was attacked, threatened, intimidated and challenged, at no point knowing when or if this attacker would injure him, fatally or otherwise.

I get very tired of seeing the race card played, particularly with incidents like this. This youth was clearly attempting to -at best - intimidate the cop, at worst - do him damage and possibly kill him. Just what the hell are the police supposed to do??? I cannot see this as a racist incident, just a cop doing his job and coming under attack. I cannot judge whether he would have been killed or not, so what is a judge/jury supposed to do? Exactly what crime did the cop commit and with what should he have been charged??

I feel far too much influence, publicity and emphasis are placed on the racial element of these incidents. It was drastic that the youth lost his life, but had he not attacked, intimidated, challenged and threatened the cop he would probably be alive today. I see no evidence in the testimony of Wilson that his response was racially motivated. It became so simply because of the black community. They ignored the facts of the incident and beatified the youth rather than acknowledging his part in his downfall.
I'm totally sure that as a parent I would seek to blame someone for the loss of my child's life, but would hope that I could see and acknowledge his part in it rather than inciting rebellion, shoplifting, arson, injury and mayhem.

This happens all too often, and I feel strongly that Americas gun law has much more to answer for than the beleaguered police force.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:02 pm 
Rock Star

It was a brave decision not to charge the Police Officer and certainly the right one. Caving in to Mob rule is unacceptable and however tragic both these incidents are they were both avoidable if those shot and killed ( I purposely avoid the use of the word victims) had just done the sensible thing. Attacking a police officer with clear intent to harm....and waving a gun around..it may have been an air gun but looks remarkably authentic to me, are clearly stupid things to do. Racially motivated no..but as always the race card was immediately pulled out....These incidents have only served to bring additional violence to the streets not in the name of justice but in order to commit further violent crime.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:11 pm 
Forum Admin

interesting views !!

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:54 pm 
Top of the pops

For me, the issue of whether the police officer was right or wrong is not the major issue. The major issue as I see it is the public reaction. The stats go towards explaining what may be behind this.
What you have here is a large black population (67%), but a predominately white police force (only three of the 53-officer department are black. The police chief, Thomas Jackson, is white).
Last year, black residents accounted for 86% of the vehicle stops made by Ferguson police and nearly 93% of the arrests made from those stops, according to the state attorney general. FBI statistics show that 85% of the people arrested by Ferguson police are black, and that 92% of people arrested specifically for disorderly conduct are black.
Whether or not all this police activity is justified or not, it can explain the bad relations between community and police.
This all in the wider context of ethnic relations in this part of the USA.

It is interesting to note the Fergusson City Council had already recognised, and resolved to take action on, the poor state of relations between the Police depatment and residents (with particular attention given to the youth of the City).

Clearly it is a shame they haven't moved sooner to correct things. After all, it is often said that community can only be effectively Policed with the consent of the community and by representatives of that community.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:54 pm 
Idol

Josef K wrote:
Clearly it is a shame they haven't moved sooner to correct things. After all, it is often said that community can only be effectively Policed with the consent of the community and by representatives of that community.

Certainly be interesting to work out what those 'correct things' might look like.

Maybe they could take notice of the examples of ethnically sensitive policing that have worked so well in the UK. Suspension of stop and search in Brixton increasing street crime rates by 30%, Muslim militias freely enforcing Sharia in Tower Hamlets, or the procedures of the Rotherham Police and Social Services that allowed 1400 girls to be subject to rape, prostitution, and worse, completely undefended so as not to cause a threat to 'community cohesion' the Police completely paralysed, and the Home Office worker who blew the whistle sent on a diversity course and then threatened with the sack when they refused to change their report?

Or maybe, a little closer to home, join forces with the Atlanta PD, who have a much worse record than them both in terms of S&S and arrest and conviction of ethnic minorities, despite having nearly 60% of their rank and file strength African-American.

Or of course, an attack of common sense might break out, people in high crime areas might realise that robust or even zero tolerance policing is in their interest.

But I doubt the professionally offended, those who seek political advantage in racial tension, or just those who benefit from a lower level of police scrutiny are going to let that happen any time soon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:35 pm 
Top of the pops

Good post Pete.

Why was the black population incensed by the cops response, yet accepted Brown's threatening, attacking, beating and intimidation of the cop???? Can anyone explain this, I cannot for the life of me see this as a problem with the policing. The cop did everything he could to stop the youth. What should he have done - just given up and let him walk away?? Oh no, hang on, he wasn't walking away was he, he was walking back to the cop, one hand clenched into a fist by his side, the other in his waistband. Having a scratch maybe? Or possibly drawing a gun?? The cop is supposed to know the difference? If what Brown was doing was totally innocent why did he not hit the deck when the cop repeatedly asked him to get down on the floor?

It simply cannot be a racist incident every time a black person breaks the law, yet this is what is increasingly happening, in the UK as well as America, invariably resulting in rioting, aided and abetted by the low lifes who are simply interested in looting.

People who break the law must face the consequences, their colour has absolutely nothing to do with it. Yet the black population repeatedly turn law breaking into a racist incident. Not acceptable by anyone's standards.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:55 pm 
Top of the pops

George wrote:
People who break the law must face the consequences, their colour has absolutely nothing to do with it. Yet the black population repeatedly turn law breaking into a racist incident. Not acceptable by anyone's standards.

they do think differently, totally differently ... that's the problem with mentality ; no any affirmative action would change it

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body