The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:09 pm 
Top of the pops

From the front page of the BBC News website

"Footage has emerged showing a series of disturbances by migrants who want to leave a UK military base in Cyprus.

It shows a tent on fire, people trying to climb fences and one person shouting "we are people, not animals".

The 114-strong group landed at RAF Akrotiri base last month and have been at a temporary camp while their asylum applications are processed by Cyprus.

The Ministry of Defence say the migrants - mostly Syrians - are being given three meals a day and shelter.

The footage appears to have been filmed on a smartphone by one of the migrants.

A government spokesperson said: "We are aware of a series of incidents at the temporary accommodation facility in Cyprus.

"Those staying there have access to three meals a day, shelter, privacy and communications, which United Nations staff have visited and say exceeds the standard of comparable set-ups.

"We continue to work closely with the Cypriot authorities to resolve this situation as quickly as possible. The UK government will not allow a new migrant route to open up to the UK."

The group consisted of 67 men, 19 women and 28 children.

A government spokesman said 14 migrants had since been moved to accommodation in Cyprus.

"Those who have been moved include a number who have claimed asylum, as well as those deemed to be vulnerable," he said."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34715877

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:38 pm 
Top of the pops

I do find this a tad scary. All over Europe these migrants - and sorry, I find it difficult to call the majority of them immigrants - are rioting, wrecking, defacating, protesting .......

Against what? The safety of their situation? The roof over their heads? The shelter they have been given? The food they are given every day? The clothes, blankets, toys.......they are given?Anything and everything they are given??

I do believe that the EU will live to regret their welcome of these migrants, and I'm pretty sure our children and grandchildren will live to regret it double fold.

Sadly, I don't have a solution.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:42 pm 
Top of the pops

There used to be a time in the UK when people behaved like that they were sent to Australia.

They still have plenty of space!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:01 pm 
Top of the pops

Yeh, but they won't let em in!!! They ship em off to the island they have rented from some Southern Hemisphere country and keep em there, or offer them a swift passage home!

Errmmmmm, so why does UK.com roll out the red carpet, give them homes, regular money, plasma TVs, iPads, iPhones, cars, medical care, schooling, midwifery care,......................................................

No. I don't know either.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:44 pm 
Rock Star

So 67 men and 19 women, what does that say?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:28 pm 
Junior

Bassman63 wrote:

I equally counted! They are safe right! If I was fleeing in fear of my life I would grateful for any country to take me in and help me survive!!

They want to free from the pen to go and do what exactly?????

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:40 pm 
Rock Star

Kell71 wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:

I equally counted! They are safe right! If I was fleeing in fear of my life I would grateful for any country to take me in and help me survive!!

So 48 men on their own, no wives, no children.

On some posts elsewhere people have asked two questions.

1) They're fit looking men so why are they fleeing and not fighting?

2) Are they really married and hoping to send for their families (followed by their extended families)?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:51 pm 
Junior

How tragic that have fled their countries in fear and ended up in Cyprus attempting to take their lives???????

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:01 am 
Rock Star

Kell71 wrote:
How tragic that have fled their countries in fear and ended up in Cyprus attempting to take their lives???????

I heard that it was the threat of being housed with expats that made them kick off.
Someone told them that the nearest they'll get to the UK was living with a UK expat. :crylaughin :england :welcome :celebrate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:09 am 
Master

Bassman63 wrote:
Kell71 wrote:

I heard that it was the threat of being housed with expats that made them kick off.
Someone told them that the nearest they'll get to the UK was living with a UK expat. :crylaughin :england :welcome :celebrate

Ye I heard that a few blocks of the hundreds of empty unsold flats in lower Peyia were being furnished and made ready for them! :leaving

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:46 am 
Top of the pops

Bassman63 wrote:
Kell71 wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:

So 48 men on their own, no wives, no children.

On some posts elsewhere people have asked two questions.

1) They're fit looking men so why are they fleeing and not fighting?

2) Are they really married and hoping to send for their families (followed by their extended families)?

In answer to (1):
Probably for the same reasons the young Greek Cypriots have not attempted to take on the Turkish invaders in north Cyprus - they know they would not win.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:58 am 
Star

The simple reason is that the ruling Sect are Alawite whereas the vast majority of refugees are Sunni. The Sunni would be fighting against their own people if they were conscripted into Assad's army, that's the reason they're doing a runner. Of course they could all join Isis but then they're dammed if they don't and dammed if they do.

I would think after spending over four years in a Refugee Camp and seeing no end to the conflict in the foreseeable future I'd be looking for for something a little better than sitting and wasting away but fortunately most of us on here are not in that unenviable position and don't have to make that decision.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:00 am 
Idol

I find it positively karmic that the Syrian 'refugees' are now complaining because they are being kept in better conditions, and with more rights and better care than they considered suitable for the Palestinian refugees they have confined to camps in Syria for the last 50 years or so.

File under "s" for 'sauce for the goose', I think

Although being lectured to by the eponymous Guardian journalist as to how it was so cold on the base that the refugees were unable to leave their tents did pass away the time whilst I was waiting for the kettle to boil so I could have my first morning coffee on the patio also had its own amusement value.

Also, although I confess to not being a sailor, it seems to me that, were I attempting to get to Greece from Syria especially in a less that robust craft, I would hug the coast through the Adana 'gap' rather than taking a few hundred kilometre detour into the open Med and crossing the main traffic routes into Limassol before another open sea crossing after the Akamas.

I say, I don't suppose they could be lying about why they chose the route do you? And to that nice Guardian journalist as well! It's almost as if they've been coached

Last edited by Pete G on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:32 am 
Idol

Jim B wrote:
The simple reason is that the ruling Sect are Alawite whereas the vast majority of refugees are Sunni. The Sunni would be fighting against their own people if they were conscripted into Assad's army, that's the reason they're doing a runner. Of course they could all join Isis but then they're dammed if they don't and dammed if they do.

I would think after spending over four years in a Refugee Camp and seeing no end to the conflict in the foreseeable future I'd be looking for for something a little better than sitting and wasting away but fortunately most of us on here are not in that unenviable position and don't have to make that decision.

Jim

You seem to have missed out all of the 'nice' insurgents we are constantly being lectured upon, exclusively Sunni, who were funded by the Saudis to start the whole thing in the first place, still comprehensively armed and supported by US, supported by embedded CIA operatives, and are currently proving how civilized they are by surrounding their headquarters with prisoners in cages [who conveniently happen to be the 'wrong sort of muslims' ] to prevent Russian Airstrikes carried out at the behest of the countries legitimate government

Of course they could get advice from the Kurds who, despite bearing the brunt of the psychopathic ISIS attacks, receiving comparatively little logistical outside support and now actually being bombed by people who claim to be their allies, have decided to stay and fight for their homeland in a fight that they didn't start despite being betrayed [again] by their US 'allies'.

Failing that, of course, as I've previously mentioned, they could take advice on what conditions they should demand from their hosts in these refugee camps, perhaps from those Palestinians they have held in camps for the last two generations. Maybe they could start it something like 'The conditions we've held Palestinians in Syria under clearly aren't good enough for Syrians in refugee camps in other countries because.......'

I'd love to hear the end of that sentence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:42 am 
Major

It appears that this group wants to go to the UK rather than claim asylum in Cyprus or be repatriated to their homeland.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... anamo.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:45 am 
Major

Give, give, give, give, give!

How ungrateful!

I know, give then a boat!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:22 pm 
Star

PG

I don't believe I missed anything out; I did state that the Sunni men have the choice between fighting for the Shia (Alawite) or the Sunni (predominately Isis) so many have chosen the third option and as I said done a runner.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=reasons+fo ... ORM=IENTSR

Many of the above links refer to a popular uprising; maybe Saudi and others have jumped on the bandwagon but trouble has been brewing in Syria for years. Read up on what happened to Hama 1982.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:10 pm 
Top of the pops

Jim B wrote:
PG

I don't believe I missed anything out; I did state that the Sunni men have the choice between fighting for the Shia (Alawite) or the Sunni (predominately Isis) so many have chosen the third option and as I said done a runner.

Many of the above links refer to a popular uprising; maybe Saudi and others have jumped on the bandwagon but trouble has been brewing in Syria for years. Read up on what happened to Hama 1982.

Jim

Your valuable point is taken.
Now where all the millions of Syrian should go ? Why to far North ? UK, Germany ? Because to higher level of benefits?
But it would be change dramatically life style of the people. They will be out of motherland... look what Palestinian think when they live out for so many years. They still want return back to same place what they exile.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:50 pm 
Top of the pops

I see from the Cyprus Mail that another 26 were rescued off Cape Greco in the early hours!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:10 pm 
Idol

Jim B wrote:
PG

Jim

In order for this to be true, it must mean that the US are both bombing and supplying the Sunni opposition and, when the US say the Russians are bombing Anti-Assad Sunni militia instead of ISIS, that would be oxymoronic.

The Muslim Brotherhood are a group of psychopathic Sunni fanatics, sponsored by the Sunni theocracy, to promote Sunni theocracies and destabilise Shia ones, and have nothing to do with "popular uprising' except agitation and appealing to the lowest common denominator and irrational fear of the wrath of an iron age sky fairy using Saudi money to do it.

The Wahabi muslims, who make the Muslim Brotherhood look like pinko liberals, united with the house of Saud 300 years ago and increasingly since then and pretty universally since 1932 have been the sponsors of every Sunni act of terror globally, especially uprisings against Shia [and of course Ba'athist] regimes, and the brutal suppression of Shia uprisings [like Yemen] which strangely doesn't seem to get so much press.

How do you imagine these 'popular uprisings' are financed?

Meanwhile people displaced by the fighting choose not to join their Sunni brothers on the Arabian peninsular but rather engage in a mass exodus to Europe where the Saudis, in a fit of boundless generosity, offer to build 300 new Sunni mosques for Europe's newest residents.

So I guess you're right, me seeing Saudi paw-prints all over this is starting to look like rampant paranoia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:36 pm 
Rock Star

I saw a young migrant complaining about living in a tent because it was so cold. It was 17C last night. Why would he want to go to Britain if he thinks 17 is cold?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:13 pm 
Rock Star

The Highlander wrote:
Bassman63 wrote:
Kell71 wrote:

Ye I heard that a few blocks of the hundreds of empty unsold flats in lower Peyia were being furnished and made ready for them! :leaving

That's what I heard. :celeb2 :smilielol :celebrate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:16 pm 
Rock Star

Jim B wrote:
PG

Jim
:goodpost
How true right back to Biblical times (Moses Joseph).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:50 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
I saw a young migrant complaining about living in a tent because it was so cold. It was 17C last night. Why would he want to go to Britain if he thinks 17 is cold?

Quick, get him to complain in writing then send to the UK Government, maybe they will reconsider their withdrawal of the WFA for Cyprus!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:07 pm 
Top of the pops

Topgun wrote:
Quote:

Quick, get him to complain in writing then send to the UK Government, maybe they will reconsider their withdrawal of the WFA for Cyprus!

:goodpost :clap
Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:46 pm 
Top of the pops

Well it looks like the cat is out of the bag!

These are quotes from some of those in the camp at Dhekelia.

'People here are getting frustrated because it seems their dreams are not going to happen.'

'We didn't want to come here. We were going to Greece. None of us wants to be here... we should go to England.'

'They want us to take asylum in Cyprus, but we don't want that. We want to go to Europe, that's our dream.'

'The gate of the camp is always closed, there are fences all around the camp, it makes us people in jail.'

They seem to be starting to sound increasingly like economic migrants!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:09 pm 
Top of the pops

zorbathejock wrote:

Exactly!!! And one of the boat people complained there were no schools for them after they landed. Send them back and let them ask Saudi Arabia for the same thing - after all they are of the same religion!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:48 pm 
Rock Star

I have very little knowledge of what is happening and dont know what is true and what is aimed to create positive or negative feelings towards the migrants, but if they do appear to be very pickey and ungratful for shelter and aid being given, also why go to england, surely a country with a similar religion and culture would be a better place to go, where there are moscs, arabic language schools, sharia law, a home from home. I am really not surprised they find europe unfriendly and strange , they are going to the wrong place

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:48 pm 
Idol

UNOFFICIAL QUIZ

Only one question, and no prize except the satisfaction of being right.

There are two pictures below. One is of a Palestinian refugee camp in Syria which is, presumably set up in accordance with what the Syrians consider appropriate accommodation for refugees. One is of a Syrian refugee camp in Turkey where, we are told, the conditions are so foul that they would rather risk the lives of their family in the hands of people smugglers than suffer those conditions a moment longer. Which one is which?

Attachment:
camp 1.jpg
Attachment:
camp 2.jpg

Answer tomorrow, if you guys really, really can't guess

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:35 pm 
Top of the pops

Struggling with that Pete! ;)

As an aside, I have read somewhere, very recently, and I suspect it may have been on one of the Cyprus forums, albeit I can't find, it a comment which said something along the lines that many of these Middle Eastern regimes, whilst not being run on strictures which would be acceptable to the western world, nevertheless, they ran and they worked, even if the west found them unacceptable. So why did the west need to interfere. Guess the answer begins with 'O' and ends with 'L'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:39 pm 
Top of the pops

Would I be right in guessing that the nice clean one is in Turkey? The one that is so foul they feel the need to escape?
The ingratitude rife among these migrants is not doing them any favours and peoples sympathy is waning all over Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:45 pm 
Top of the pops

George wrote:
Guess the answer begins with 'O' and ends with 'L'

'I' think you may be right! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:57 pm 
Top of the pops

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:24 pm 
Rock Star

Band wrote:
Well it looks like the cat is out of the bag!
These are quotes from some of those in the camp at Dhekelia.
'People here are getting frustrated because it seems their dreams are not going to happen.'
'We didn't want to come here. We were going to Greece. None of us wants to be here... we should go to England.'
'They want us to take asylum in Cyprus, but we don't want that. We want to go to Europe, that's our dream.'
'The gate of the camp is always closed, there are fences all around the camp, it makes us people in jail.'
They seem to be starting to sound increasingly like economic migrants!

What is the weather in Cyprus like right now as one of the migrants was com[plaining of how cold it is at Akrotiri.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body