The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CYTA mobile in TRNC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Anyone been to the TRNC recently. I need to know if I can use my CYTA mobile there.

Post subject: Re: CYTA mobile in TRNC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:22 pm 
Top of the pops

Not quite sure just how recently Shania, but my friend who goes up regularly - 3/4 times a year always takes a UK mobile.

HTH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:05 am 
Top of the pops

Some places in TRNC get a CYTA signal, most do not. Nicosia for example is fine.
What we have done is obtain a second hand basic phone and fit a "Telsim" SIM card.
Quite cheap to do PAYG. Most shops/kiosks over there sell them.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:25 am 
Top of the pops

Thanks for the two replies. Just as I suspected. We do travel to the TRNC and stay 3 or 4 nights occasionally. I thought that it might have improved since my last visit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:30 pm 
Idol

Not only do they not work in the TRNC I suspect you will find they do not work in Mainland Turkey.....we are with Primetel and on a recent visit to Turkey we found our Cypriot mobile did not work, thankfully we had our UK mobile with us....so much for "Confidence Building Measures" :rain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:57 pm 
Top of the pops

Jimmy wrote:
Not only do they not work in the TRNC I suspect you will find they do not work in Mainland Turkey.....we are with Primetel and on a recent visit to Turkey we found our Cypriot mobile did not work, thankfully we had our UK mobile with us....so much for "Confidence Building Measures" :rain

A TRNC Mobile (e.g. with Telsim) works anywhere in TRNC or anywhere in mainland Turkey.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:57 pm 
Top of the pops

Double post sri.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:28 pm 
Top of the pops

North and South are currently working on linking their respective mobile networks, which would resolve the issue, as this was agreed by the two leaders in their talks. However, I understand there are significant technical issues to be overcome.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:17 pm 
Idol

I care not where a TRNC mobile works Geoff, I only care that my Primetel mobile does not work in Turkey......which is ridiculous....and it is hard to imagine what "significant" technical problems there are to overcome when it does not seem to be a problem with any other network around the world....it will be a simple software block that needs to be taken off...and "Voila", it is simple politics and bloodymindness which will always prevent any solution....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:32 pm 

We have friends that live in Turkey. Last year we could contact them direct, mobile to mobile, from here in Limassol and when we arrived in Bodrum via a cruise ship to spend time with them. This year we visited them and our phones said "denied access". This was over in the north as well as mainland Turkey.
There were 3 networks available and guess what? They were all turkish ones.
Bizarrely on our way back to Izmir airport my cyta phone chirped into life with many text messages received and processed courtesy of a nearby greek island.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:12 am 
Top of the pops

janet wrote:
We have friends that live in Turkey. Last year we could contact them direct, mobile to mobile, from here in Limassol and when we arrived in Bodrum via a cruise ship to spend time with them. This year we visited them and our phones said "denied access". This was over in the north as well as mainland Turkey.
There were 3 networks available and guess what? They were all turkish ones.
Bizarrely on our way back to Izmir airport my cyta phone chirped into life with many text messages received and processed courtesy of a nearby greek island.

That is because you were trying to use a CYTA mobile into Turkish networks.
As I said earlier just buy a Telsim PAYG SIM card, and it will work ANYWHERE in TRNC
or in motherland Turkey.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:54 am 
Idol

But can you call your friends family etc in Cyorus? If not pretty useless......as I said, they are still playing silly political games and a technical solution could be put in place easily.....whilst in the North or Mainland Turkey we use our UK O2 PAYG mobile which of course works perfectly and of course I can still phone the ROC.....If the powers that be really wanted to instill a sense of progress in any reunification talks then simple measures like this would help....but no they insist on playing games, all talk.....well not in this case because your b****y phones won't work!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:10 am 
Top of the pops

There is a LAW in TURKEY. Everyone must register there mobiles to get them to work or they will be blocked. Just got this info from a friend who is in Marmaris on his Yacht.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:31 pm 
Top of the pops

Jimmy wrote:
But can you call your friends family etc in Cyorus? If not pretty useless......as I said, they are still playing silly political games and a technical solution could be put in place easily.....whilst in the North or Mainland Turkey we use our UK O2 PAYG mobile which of course works perfectly and of course I can still phone the ROC.....If the powers that be really wanted to instill a sense of progress in any reunification talks then simple measures like this would help....but no they insist on playing games, all talk.....well not in this case because your b****y phones won't work!

With a TRNC Telsim PAYG account you can call anywhere, including RoC, from anywhere in
TRNC or Turkey.
For Jimmy: correct, you can usually do that at the retailer where you buy the PAYG pack,
usually they will do it for you if you do not speak Turkish.
You have about 3 months to register it; they are not bothered if your address is in the RoC or UK,
whatever.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:15 pm 
Idol

So if I buy a TRNC sim I can phone the ROC from the TRNC or indeed mainland Turkey....you see that is even more ridiculous...and just highlights the attitude of ROC politicians...and of course ridiculous any "Technical Issues"... :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:25 pm 
Rock Star

My daughter used to live in the north. Don't know which Turkish network she used, I think it varied. I have a soeasy, she could ring me and I could USUALLY ring her but it was a high rate international call, texting did not work. About 70% of famagusta had a cyta signal, but go onto salamis and almost nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:45 am 
Top of the pops

Jimmy wrote:
So if I buy a TRNC sim I can phone the ROC from the TRNC or indeed mainland Turkey....you see that is even more ridiculous...and just highlights the attitude of ROC politicians...and of course ridiculous any "Technical Issues"... :shock:

Highlights the whole ridiculous situation, now 42 years old, of Cyprus!
A call from one side to another switches via Turkey, and is an international call.
But it works OK and quality is good and the call costs are the lowest international tariff.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:17 pm 
Idol

Still not sure why Cyprus will allow calls from a TRNC sim, even routed via Turkey...because as I said my Primetel mobile would not work in the TRNC or mainland turkey......so nothing to do with routing...and I find it hard to believe CYTA would allow a TRNC sim to call Cyorus...are you sure of your Facts?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:36 pm 
Top of the pops

Jimmy wrote:
Still not sure why Cyprus will allow calls from a TRNC sim, even routed via Turkey...because as I said my Primetel mobile would not work in the TRNC or mainland turkey......so nothing to do with routing...and I find it hard to believe CYTA would allow a TRNC sim to call Cyorus...are you sure of your Facts?

They do allow it, I use it often. My TRNC phone is with Telsim. To call our MTN or CYTA phones on
this side from that side I just dial 00357 + our MTN or CYTA numbers.
We have a house on both sides and travel over most days, hence our requirement.
Yes, I am sure of my facts.
Geoff.
P.S. Your Primetel phone is no use in TRNC or in Turkey. Nor is an MTN or CYTA mobile.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:43 pm 
Idol

I realise that Geeoff, it just surprises me that the ROC networks allow TRNC to phone the ROC.....when their own systems do not allow it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:08 am 
Top of the pops

Jimmy wrote:
I realise that Geeoff, it just surprises me that the ROC networks allow TRNC to phone the ROC.....when their own systems do not allow it.

Both sides allow telephone calls FROM the other. Telephone traffic in both directions is allowed whether from a mobile to a mobile, fixed line to a mobile, or fixed line to fixed line.
However, neither side allow ANY mobiles from the other side to access their facilities. In other words both sides apply the same restrictions.
Whichever side you are physically in you need to use a mobile of that side.
Sure, there are some places you might get a signal directly from the other side, but not many,
and are the exception - just a case of geography. So for example if you have an RoC mobile and you
are stood on Famagusta beach you can get a signal directly from the CYTA aerials on the hill overlooking Protaras.
Cheers,
Geoff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:06 am 
Rock Star

I can confirm what Geoff says. when in the north your cyta soeasy phone will find the turkish networks but cant connect to them. From an earlier post I dont understand the "technical problems" , I am sure the problems are political !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:45 am 
Top of the pops

Mouse wrote:
I can confirm what Geoff says. when in the north your cyta soeasy phone will find the turkish networks but cant connect to them. From an earlier post I dont understand the "technical problems" , I am sure the problems are political !

Entirely Political.
Geoff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:18 pm 
Idol

I've been able to send text messages in the past with my Cyta mobile from the other side of Nicosia and down to the outskirts of Kyrenia. However, there is quite often a significant delay but sometimes they go straight through as I've received replies back from the recipient.

However, it's impossible to actually make a phone call from north to south using a direct mobile number. We've phoned from south to north on a landline with no difficulty though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:31 pm 
Top of the pops

Fylde Filly wrote:
I've been able to send text messages in the past with my Cyta mobile from the other side of Nicosia and down to the outskirts of Kyrenia. However, there is quite often a significant delay but sometimes they go straight through as I've received replies back from the recipient.

However, it's impossible to actually make a phone call from north to south using a direct mobile number. We've phoned from south to north on a landline with no difficulty though.

Exactly what we have been saying!
South mobiles do not work in the North, North mobiles do not work in the South.
So you need TWO mobiles, one for the North (e.g. Telsim) and one for the South (e.g. CYTA).
Geoff.
P.S. North = TRNC + Turkey.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:32 pm 
Idol

But texting does/has work(ed) for me on a Cyta sim card from the north to the south - although not always immediately.

So how come texts work but not calls?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:05 am 
Top of the pops

Fylde Filly wrote:
But texting does/has work(ed) for me on a Cyta sim card from the north to the south - although not always immediately.

So how come texts work but not calls?

Pass on that! All I can suggest is that you had a signal from the South.
I have an MTN mobile and a CYTA mobile - neither work in the North for either phone calls or text
messages (unless I am located somewhere in the North such as Nicosia or Famagusta beach where
I can get a signal from the south).
Geoff.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body