Does anyone have any experience of using a vpn

If I subscribe to one will I be able to watch BBC iplayer etc

thanks

Jon

Post subject: Re: Filmon and VPN
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:07 am 
Regular

Hi Jon,

I use CyberGhost. It seems to slow the laptop down, so I was forever downloading and uninstalling it when I needed / didn't need it.
I now keep it on a flash drive so I can put it on and take it off quickly.

I used it tonight after FilmOn failing and watched Emmerdale and Corrie using the ITV hub.
It was great! No annoying ads from that young American lass trying to sell you the FilmOn TV box thingy.
There seems to be a lot of watchable programmes on the hub, I'm going to explore it more now FilmOn's not available...might be a blessing in disguise :-)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:21 am 
Top of the pops

The BBC blocks most VPNs and any new ones it discovers. For iPlayer, you need a smart DNS, which the BBC does not currently block, such as Unlocator, which works transparently and does not interfere with your normal PC activities or the speed. From experience, the BBC iPlayer works better (and in HD when available) on a good Android device than on a Windows device, except when downloading from iPlayer when the PC is better.

I have three Minix Neo X-H8 Plus devices (if you go for this you will need the 'Air Mouse' http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122363558917, with which it is usually, but not always packaged). The Chinese company linked, ships via the Netherlands so no customs issues.

Getting iPlayer, ITV Hub and All4 on the Android is a bit of a faff (because of location issues that Unlocator doesn't address), and means downloading the APK files separately and installing from those.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:46 am 
Top of the pops

KG wrote:
The BBC blocks most VPNs and any new ones it discovers. For iPlayer, you need a smart DNS, which the BBC does not currently block, such as Unlocator, which works transparently and does not interfere with your normal PC activities or the speed. From experience, the BBC iPlayer works better (and in HD when available) on a good Android device than on a Windows device, except when downloading from iPlayer when the PC is better.

BBC did manage to block Unlocator on Firestick (which is aneroid) for about 5 days last week. However since it was unblocked the amount of buffering is unacceptable at times. For some reason the Windows PC works normally.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:54 am 
Top of the pops

No problems here last week and I rarely see buffering. Try rebooting your modem to get a new IP address then reset Unlocator.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:24 am 
Rock Star

We have Unotelly and are able to watch BBC IPlayer and ITV Hub showing live transmissions of programmes now that Filmon has become a subscription only channel.

Alan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:49 am 
Top of the pops

KG wrote:
No problems here last week and I rarely see buffering. Try rebooting your modem to get a new IP address then reset Unlocator.

I guess you have not got a firestick Graham? Unlocator knew about the problem and eventually fixed it after a few terse emails. I believe Amazon uses a different stream to others. Yes I did try a re-boot several times, clearing cache and data etc.
Rebooting a WISP internet connection will not get you a new IP. Many people have WISP and IP numbers are shared between a number of users in an area.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:29 pm 
Top of the pops

Polemi Dave wrote:
I guess you have not got a firestick Graham? Unlocator knew about the problem and eventually fixed it after a few terse emails. I believe Amazon uses a different stream to others. Yes I did try a re-boot several times, clearing cache and data etc.
Rebooting a WISP internet connection will not get you a new IP. Many people have WISP and IP numbers are shared between a number of users in an area.
No, as I said I have three Minix boxes. I am also connected directly to the local CYTA hub a few hundred meters from my house. The boxes themselves connect wirelessly to either the modem in my office or to a wireless repeater in my living room. I can run all three simultaneously. The only thing that tends to slow it down are the interminable monthly upgrades from Microsoft to the PCs connnected to my network.

I don't pay the extra for a fixed IP, so if the modem reboots I do get a new IP address, and that takes a few moments to reset from one of the PCs.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body