The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UK<>EU Brexit deal
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 am 
Rock Star

I was listening to the BBC World Service yesterday evening.
It reported the UK and EU had done a deal on the "transitional" period. Amongst other things
the deal included the rights of EU Citizens residing in the UK and vice-versa.
They said that provided a UK citizen had complied with local registration procedures, then they
would have the right to remain a resident in the EU State they were residing in.
i.e. A British Expat here in Cyprus must have an MEU1 yellow slip.
No need for an MEU3 (unless you intend relocating to another EU Member State in the future)!
So, it seems, you all had duff info from your High Commissioner recently.
Meanwhile those of us on Pink Slips, renewable annually, have to endure long delays at immigration
due to hundreds of unnecessary MEU3 applications, as I found out the other day when I went to immigration to renew our's.
Amos.

Post subject: Re: UK<>EU Brexit deal
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:59 pm 
Master

Out of interest Amos what exactly is involved in gaining the MEU3? - what advantages if any does it confer? - what is required to apply for one? and finally what is involved in renewing it?

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:18 pm 
Rock Star

toonarmy9752 wrote:
Out of interest Amos what exactly is involved in gaining the MEU3? - what advantages if any does it confer? - what is required to apply for one? and finally what is involved in renewing it?

thanks

I can only relate what I have read about it, basically the requirements are similar to what we aliens have to provide for a pink slip, proof of income, health care insurance, and so on.
The British High Commissioner recently suggested that British Expats should apply for an MEU3
if they qualified for it by having had their MEU1 yellow slip for at least 5 years.
MEU1 is valid for life, and is a Registration Certificate.
He clearly commented on guesswork. Suggesting that with Brexit the MEU1 would be no longer valid.
The MEU3 is a Permanent Residence Permit.
Hence the rush to apply for MEU3s. The Immigration Dept stated this was not needed, and would cause delays to other work in their Dept.
We now know from yesterday's agreement UK<>EU that the BHC was wrong, and immigration right.
I was one of many normal customers of the immigration Dept to have been inconvenienced
by all this, facing delays to my annual renewal of pink slips for me and my dear wife.
Others equally inconvenienced are British expats applying for MEU1s in the normal way, also now delayed applications.
The bottom line of all this being that MEU3s are not needed if you have an MEU1, in order to stay living here after "Brexit".
The ONLY advantage now for a British Expat holding a valid MEU1 in applying for an MEU3
is that it would allow him after Brexit to move to and reside in another of the 27 EU Member States.
Amos.

Last edited by exodus on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:23 pm 

MU3
Recommended documents which may be submitted for the application of a Certificate of Permanent Residence (MU3), by the person concerned in order to prove continuity of Residence in the Republic of Cyprus. Note that the below mentioned documents are not all required in every case, nor individually, but as appropriate depending on the case.
1) Certificate of Registration or Residence Card. (MU1)
2) Rental agreement or property sale contract, or title deed, for the last five years.
3) Utility bills or statements of accounts from the relevant Authority (water, or telephone or electricity) dating back five years.
4) Bank statement dating back five years.
5) Social Insurance Certificate for contributions over the last five years by month. (if applicable)
6) Any other document proving the completion of a continuous period of five years in the Republic of Cyprus.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 pm 
Master

cheers guys = thats very helpful

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:44 am 
Rock Star

toonarmy9752 wrote:
cheers guys = thats very helpful

Good luck, although from our experience Immigration are very polite and efficient so you won't need it - just the correct documents they ask you for.
Amos.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:39 am 
Master

am not intending doing anything anytime soon as am prepared just to wait and see what happens - weve got our yellow slips (4yrs now) so will sit tight

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body