Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Travel Restrictions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:10 pm 
Rock Star

From today's Cyprus Mail.

The health ministry on Tuesday issued revised instructions for persons who have travelled over the past 14 days.

Travellers arriving from Hubei in China, Italy, Iran and the Republic of Korea will be under obligatory isolation and medical surveillance (quarantine) in their homes or health ministry areas.

Persons arriving from the other areas of China (except Hubei), Japan, Hong Kong, Germany, France, Spain, Greece and the United Kingdom will be under obligatory self-isolation in their homes or health ministry areas for 14 days, and must avoid close contacts and movement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:39 pm 

What if a visitor is coming for a visit of less than 14 days?

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:46 pm 
Rock Star

M.A.D wrote:
What if a visitor is coming for a visit of less than 14 days?

They don't get to see much of the island!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Uk Changed back to category 3 again

Can arrive walk around freely and self monitor
It was revoked due to massive implications !

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/03/10/self ... lications/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:09 pm 
Rock Star

I can understand why the Cyprus Government has allowed UK visitors to come, but I think they are playing a dangerous game, agreed it would cripple the Cypriot economy if they closed the island down, they are dammed either way worse case scenario does not bear thinking about there are a lot of elderly people in Cyprus.

The planned visit to Cyprus by Prince Charles 18th March is now in doubt, that should speak volumes as to the seriousness of this virus.

It has just been announced on the radio that we now have 373 confirmed cases and 6 deaths.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:55 pm 
Rock Star

UK and Greece have been removed from the list.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/03/10/self-isolation-for-greece-and-uk-arrivals-revoked-due-to-massive-implications/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:00 pm 
Rock Star

Had a email from my friend in Peyia with this link attached, looks like the UK has been put into Cat 2 again, the way this is going there will be no UK tourists this year.

https://in-cyprus.com/coronavirus-trave ... ategory-2/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:05 pm 
Top of the pops

That is probably because
5 of our Virus carriers came from the uk
And 1 came from Greece

So makes sense to take these steps

We are now at 10 and the virus is growing from incoming flights

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:22 pm 
Rock Star

Thanks Migmogs, I am shocked that Cyprus are allowing people from infected country's into the Cyprus, we all know why it is the economy, but if it gets hold many elderly and there are a quite a few are likely to die.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37 pm 
Top of the pops

lowvoltage wrote:
Thanks Migmogs, I am shocked that Cyprus are allowing people from infected country's into the Cyprus, we all know why it is the economy, but if it gets hold many elderly and there are a quite a few are likely to die.

The MOH is trying really really hard ... to keep the virus at bay
And to keep the economy going which of course is all based on Tourism

They have closed schools...restricted the amounts of people allowed in venues, stopped the Marathon, closed municipalities, wineries have shut their doors, football is behind closed doors

They have set up a call number 1420 and team for any of us who get the virus

Tomorrow we are awaiting an announcement by the President at 8.30 pm outlining more things to happen

We are living in strange world wide times

And yes the elderly and sick could die because of this virus
Myself and my husband fit into this group

So it is dig deep and hold your breath time

We are in an unprecedented and unexpected World War a World War against a very bad virus!

The young and healthy will be fine... but some of us older sick people won,t be !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:48 am 
Top of the pops

Hopefully during the president's address to the nation tonight he will announce the airports are to close, that's the only way to stop more carriers ( whether knowingly or not!) bringing it here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:00 am 
Top of the pops

Could he also then put in place measures to stem the tide of illegal immigrants into the country. Its very possible the procedure can be used for this purpose also.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:45 am 
Top of the pops

The problem we all have got for me
Is that 1 young man who came in with the virus
Mixed with over 1400 people whilst he was showing symptoms of the virus
The Taxi driver also had contact with quite a few customers also
Did the other two men who flew in with fever ...unknowingly pass onto the people around them
And those people have been mixing also for the last week?

So not sure that the proverbial cat is now out of the bag

UK and parts of Greece again are going back to catagory 2

Things are changing all of the time at the moment

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:57 pm 
Top of the pops

There could also therefore be an argument to allow us all to closely mix over the next weekend to have full exposure, treated and get it out of the system.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:18 pm 
Top of the pops

Tanny

sadly there would be that many seriously ill people who would need intensive care treatment ...that we truly can,t

We are already going to struggle with our meager intensive care facilities as it is

Which is why they are trying their hardest to slow down the impact of the virus casualties

My husband and myself are self isolating already to try and quite literally survive :shock:

As sadly as in the rest of the world...a lot are going to become seriously ill and push resources to the limits
and a lot are going to die

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:04 pm 

Latest from UK FCO The Republic of Cyprus government has announced stricter measures on UK nationals entering Cyprus applicable from 14 March. All UK nationals arriving in Cyprus from that date should self-isolate for 14 days. Those who are due to leave the country before the end of 14 days may do so provided they do not display symptoms. UK nationals who arrived in Cyprus prior to 14 March are not affected by these measures. The above measures are expected to remain in place until further notice.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:07 pm 
Idol

I read on another site that Jet2 are suspending all flights to Cyprus with immediate effect.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:18 pm 
Top of the pops

Yes and TUI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:23 pm 
Rock Star

I had booked a flight to return back to Cyprus in May, just seen the news that Jet 2 have suspended all flights, just rang them to see how I stand, eventually I got through and this is what I was told.

They cannot give me any information regarding future flights, as to cancelling my booking this is not an option, I will have deemed to have cancelled at my own request, therefore I would be liable for all costs and lose my money.

If there is going to be a mass cancellation, up to six weeks prior to departure then they will look at my case on an individual basis, until then I have to wait for further information, read the FCO advice about travelling and keep looking at their web site,as the chap said they are in uncharted waters as the airline is still functioning.

The airline will operate repatriation flight from Larnaca and Paphos until March 20 there after no flights out, they are not going to fly anyone into Cyprus.

As I get more info I will post, good luck to all of you out there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:12 pm 
Rock Star

Looks like our 14th of May visit will be off, We've already got holiday insurance but don't know yet if it will cover Corona.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:35 pm 
Master

With reference to Effsie's original comment ... ''The health ministry on Tuesday issued revised instructions for persons who have travelled over the past 14 days''.

''Persons arriving from the other areas of China (except Hubei), Japan, Hong Kong, Germany, France, Spain, Greece and the United Kingdom will be under obligatory self-isolation in their homes or health ministry areas for 14 days, and must avoid close contacts and movement''.

Visitor just arrived from the UK at our apartment block earlier today and driven off to his business - wonder if the staff and customers will update him as to the limitation of his movements or just ignore him or even think he should be praised for not spoiling his holiday and carrying on as usual.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:03 pm 
Rock Star

Alexis wrote:
Visitor just arrived from the UK at our apartment block earlier today and driven off to his business - wonder if the staff and customers will update him as to the limitation of his movements or just ignore him or even think he should be praised for not spoiling his holiday and carrying on as usual.

So he is potentially putting everyone he comes in contact with at risk. Unless he was just popping to the shops, that really should be a phone call to report the situation. We really do need to be taking this seriously now!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:39 pm 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
Alexis wrote:

So he is potentially putting everyone he comes in contact with at risk. Unless he was just popping to the shops, that really should be a phone call to report the situation. We really do need to be taking this seriously now!

Totally agree
Self isolation means just that...what a selfish stupid man he is
All the poor staff at the tills also could now be at risk!

Please report him!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:29 pm 
Rock Star

UPDATE - A quick update to my earlier post, spent ages and ages talking to Jet 2 got bounced around from one department to another but eventually got some sense out of one lady called TINA her parents live in Cyprus and she also was due to out in May, she gave me this information, so here goes will try to keep it brief.

Most Airlines talk with the receiving country as to any problems that could alter the arrival of the plane, for example bad weather or issues at the airport, based on that information appropriate action is taken as in this case the cancellation of all flights is unprecedented.

They also get regular updates off the FCO which as she says if sometimes a little sketchy (very diplomatic there), the information they receive also helps them to formulate a plan of action, in this case all planning has gone out of the window as no one could foresee this global Pandemic.

In the event of mass cancellations most Airlines will offer a full refund, rescheduling or another holiday to another destination, as this is totally unforeseen and most airlines have never dealt with this massive problem before they are trying to contact customers to discuss options, now as for me and others who are scheduled to fly this is the information given to me.

Do not cancel your flight as you will lose my money, I would have been seen to cancel at my request (see terms and conditions), they will contact customers based upon their departure day, as yet flights may resume after the 10th April in which case if the ban is lifted then I fly as normal so no problems, if the there is no sign of the ban being lifted then I will be contacted approximately 14 days prior to departure to discuss my options.

If you took out travel insurance and you wish to cancel, then unless you took it out with the airline you have to speak directly with your insurance company you took it out with, some banks are offering a 100% refund due to the unprecedented circumstances.

Hope I have shed some light upon this, hopefully it has helped some.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:39 pm 
Rock Star

migmogs wrote:
Effsie wrote:
Alexis wrote:

Totally agree
Self isolation means just that...what a selfish stupid man he is
All the poor staff at the tills also could now be at risk!

Please report him!

Sorry to hijack this thread but, as Paphos general is now on a 48 hour lockdown due to infection, this needs sorting now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:52 pm 
Top of the pops

Everyone who arrived today was not told to isolate!

arghhhhhhhh

I truly wish that I could swear :tickedoff :tickedoff :tickedoff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:51 pm 
Star

Could be because the restrictions do not start until 1am tomorrow ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:14 am 
Master

Most of the articles I have read in the past two days had two announcements, the first being about self isolation effective from 14 March and the second regarding travel being restricted to Cyprus residents and other certain categories from 15 March and many people have lumped it together as being from 15 March.

''The Republic of Cyprus government has announced stricter measures from 0100 local time on 15 March for those entering Cyprus. UK nationals (and other non-Cypriots) will not be permitted to enter the Republic of Cyprus for tourist purposes''.

''This is in addition to the announcement with effect from 14 March which requires that those that have been in the UK in the 14 days prior to arriving in the Republic of Cyprus should self-isolate for 14 days''.

From the many FB comments I cannot understand the number of people who have recently arrived especially on Saturday who have little or no knowledge about the current situation, particularly self-isolation, restricted movement etc as that has been in the papers for a few days. As a captive audience for 4+ hours on the plane surely there could have been an official announcement or a few announcements at that time telling them what to expect?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:51 pm 
Rock Star

Alexis, I think your post is spot on and there is nothing else needs to be said. :clap

Just a quick note to support your comments - Today we live in a media world and the unhealthy bombardment of information, the desperation for news be it fake or truth, and with the media forcing information at you surely as you said in your comments surely they must be aware of the restrictions ? :banghead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:09 pm 
Rock Star

Final Jet 2 Response, thought I would bring you up to speed regarding my refund for my Flight in May, well I will keep it brief.

Had an email from Jet 2, Will only tell you the important bit

"Under normal circumstances we only offer a revised booking or reschedule of flight or full refund 14 days prior to departure, we have been instructed to contact all passengers due to fly within the next 3 months to discuss their options"

In my case as I do not know when I can return and the uncertainty with shipping and when the restrictions will be lifted, I have opted for a full refund, this will be processed shortly through their normal refunds policy.

Regarding my travel insurance - That is another story, the insurance company via Lloyd's has not made any decision, worse case scenario I will only lose £35 but I will get my full flight costs back.

Hope this helps anyone who is in the same situation as me, Talk to your airline ASAP, I found mine very helpful.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body