Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:19 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi all

Having read dreadful write ups about Paphos General Hospital

For those of you with cardiac problems

Which hospital would you go to in a cardiac emergency?

For best cardiac care

Paphos General? Iasis?

Or have you been into the Paphos Cardiac ward and had excellent care?

Would love to hear

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:40 pm 
Master

I would go where ever my cardiologist advised.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:03 am 
Rock Star

In an emergency isn't Paphos General your only choice as it is the only A&E that you can go to?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:28 am 
Top of the pops

Some cardiologists are aligned with different hospitals ...and so you are cared for at those hospitals

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:15 am 
Top of the pops

Effsie wrote:
In an emergency isn't Paphos General your only choice as it is the only A&E that you can go to?

Yes unfortunately - once there you can make arrangements to be transferred to the hospital of your choice though, OR if your GP is at the Evangelismos you can call him/her and get admitted to their 'admissions' unit in the basement which is actually A&E by another name but only if you're registered with one of their GPs!

I have no idea if GPs at other hospitals have similar arrangements but tbh if you were having a heart attack I'm sure the nearest place is the best place to be taken!!

Blame Gesy - it really is a curate's egg ie good in parts but bad in others!

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:05 pm 
Top of the pops

After posting this as a similar question on another forum at the same time as this post

And 59 plus replies
An overwhelming majority of people who have been into the A& E and then gone into the Paphos Cardiac Ward

Gave positive answers as to the great life saving care on this ward!

So Bravo to Paphos Cardiac Ward!

It was great to read lots of different peoples answers
And get a fuller picture
More importantly...the answers I got from many peoples experiences has put my mind at peace!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:19 pm 
Master

Still trying to fathom out why you had to start your investigation this way?

''Hi all

Having read dreadful write ups about Paphos General Hospital''

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:28 pm 
Top of the pops

Alexis wrote:
Still trying to fathom out why you had to start your investigation this way?

''Hi all

Having read dreadful write ups about Paphos General Hospital''

Alexis ...if you go onto the Paphos General website

There are many reviews of the hospital ...the reviews rate the hospital as ** star
And contained awful write ups about the hospital and the way people where treated when patients on the wards

I have also heard from close friends and acquaintances of the lack of care that they had received personally whilst in Paphos General. Plus it is not so long ago that locals used to pay for some one to go into hospital with them to stay and to give them their basic nursing care and to bring food in for their meals. Not sure if these things still happen now because of covid? But nursing care is different here in Cyprus than to what is trained in the uk

I have now found out from lots of patients who have been successfully treated on that ward ..that the Cardiac Ward is different ..and that the cardiac care is excellent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:02 am 
Top of the pops

An old Cypriot friend once told me, that if you want a small and comfortable room go to a private hospital. If you want the best treatment, go to the General as that's where the expertise lies and is where you will end up if the private hospitals screw up.

I don't think it is entirely true. I have much experience of the General over several years as an in-patient and an outpatient. Apart from one recent occasion with A&E I have had excellent treatment but the place is now old and badly run down. My wife too had excellent treatment there as an in-patient. However in neither case were we treated for heart issues.

Unfortunately the hospital doesn't have the expertise to do everything and so I recently found myself in the Mediterranean Hospital in Limassol - an ultra modern facility - for surgery by a Greek doctor recently arrived from the UK, where he had worked for the past 15 years as an acknowledged expert in his field. I was referred to him by my Paphos consultant (who didn't have the required expertise) as soon as he arrived here in May - though he was not able to work here until September. The treatment was excellent, the rooms very clean and the nursing staff all spoke English. No waiting lists and I have the consultant's mobile phone number and private e-mail address. You don't get that in the NHS. The food was a little better at Paphos, but I have no complaints about either.

I had planned to have the surgery in the UK, and had consulted an expert in Wrexham, but COVID put an end to that plan, and I was grateful when the good doctor arrived as the surgery, if successful, will be life changing. The surgery has an 80% success rate and the doctor claims even better. So far all is well, but it will be a couple of weeks before I complete the treatment.

I have also had treatment at the BOC Oncology Center in Nicosia, which is a world class facility, and should my cancer reappear, that's where I would choose to be treated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:18 pm 
Rock Star

Must agree the care I received at paphos general in the ICU then cardio ward was excellent . My cardiologist was Dr Plakomiki, then she took maternity leave so I am now under her husband Dr Giako poulou who is also good . I apologize to any Cypriots who may read this for my incorrect spelling of names . I'm still here so I guess they got it right !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:11 pm 
Top of the pops

Thank you so much for the replies

Always good to get all sides

Have a great day

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body