Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:41 pm 
Rock Star

Well actually i believe it to be a scam but makes no sence ?
It reads as follows all in caps : DEAR CUSTOMER, AS A RESULT OF NOT RESPONDING , DESPITE THE BANK'S WARNINGS , TO OUR REQUEST TO UPDATE / VALIDATE YOUR PERSONAL INFOMATION AS OF TOMORROW NO TRANS ACTIONS WILL BE EXECUTED FROM YOUR ACCOUNTS. PLEASE CALL OUR CUSTOMER CONTACT CENTRE AT 80009999 OR +357 22500500, THE SOONEST .
having gone on the Hellenic web site it seems the contact phone numbers are valid ? I went on my online banking , i had 26 messages going back a couple years informing me of holidays and other pointless dribble .
I checked both my emails , no messages from them , i checked the post box no letters .
So the dopy kids running the bank havent tried very hard to contact me !
My personnal details and contacts have not altered for years , so why did they not contact me ?
Is this real or is it scam ?
The only reason they need to constantly check details is because of tight regulations imposed on cyprus banks because they were caught money laundering. They were the theives not me !
Still as usual i guess i need to go and waste my time at the bank being asked stupid questions ! Tut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:44 pm 
Rock Star

Upon reading and rereading and pondering , i actually believe it to be real it just the bank is acting in a totally unprofessional way , they have made no attempt to contact me so clearly one deptment has no idea what another department is doing !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:17 pm 
Top of the pops

Sadly the banks are nothing more than pieces of shyte scams in general. they do the governments bidding, they collect and impose taxes and frankly i am surprised there hasnt been a backlash.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:53 am 
Top of the pops

Cyprus banks, like those of most nations, are required by law to "know your customers". So too are professionals like lawyers and accountants.

Around 18 months ago Hellenic put a stop on our personal account and released it only after we had completed one of their forms asking all kinds of information and proof of ID. What I thought unfair at the time was that they required us to be in possession of a Permanent Residency card. They were not interested that even the Cyprus government does not require us to hold this card, they do (even for our grandchildren)... so off to Gwenny-Mary's we trotted. Around 6 months later we received our cards.

In a way I now like the card. We show it to Immigaration when we return through the airports and can use it as ID anywhere in Cyprus. Neater and easier to use than the yellow slip.

So ignore (genuine) letters from your bank at your peril! Whether Mouse's communication was genuine or not I don't know.

Many years ago a Hellenic manager told me that their bank was fined a very significant amount because they did not hold sufficient data on their customers, and this is something they are determined to not let happen again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:36 pm 
Rock Star

Well my account is all but dormant but it is used on rare occasions . Been busy working so willmdrop into see them on tuesday .
Thanks yak for the heads up will make sure i take my residency papers and social security details as well as household bills .

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body