Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does Nanny know best?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:40 am 
Web-Site Admin

Anyone think this is a good idea? :?:

Quote:
Plans for minimum alcohol price

The government's top medical adviser has drawn up plans for a minimum price for alcohol which would double the cost of some drinks in England.

Under the proposal from Sir Liam Donaldson, no drinks could be sold for less than 50 pence per unit of alcohol they contain.

It would mean most bottles of wine could not be sold for less than £4.50.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7944334.stm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:47 am 
Forum Admin

I know it does not add to the conversation..
but I dont care how much they charge for it in the UK .. :bounce
It might slow down the binge drinkers though.. :wink:

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:54 am 
Top of the pops

Captain Fantastic wrote:
Anyone think this is a good idea? :?:

Quote:
Plans for minimum alcohol price

The government's top medical adviser has drawn up plans for a minimum price for alcohol which would double the cost of some drinks in England.

Under the proposal from Sir Liam Donaldson, no drinks could be sold for less than 50 pence per unit of alcohol they contain.

It would mean most bottles of wine could not be sold for less than £4.50.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7944334.stm

:gossip I don't see why again 'moderates' get penalised for 'as***es' :banghead :banghead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:11 pm 
Rock Star

TBH in the UK, the bars I went to are probably already functioning well above the 50p per unit.

I'm not much of drinker myself, but I can imagine it will put a dampner on a lot of people's nights out.

I think it's easy for those of us who are the 'moderate drinkers' to balance out our unit intake and know when we've had enough, sadly there a a large number of people in the UK that just don't know when enough is in fact enough.

Imagine the long term benefits of having a reduction in alcohol related hospital admissions, freeing up time and money to concentrate on more important hospital needs.

I can see the positives of this kind of plan, don't think it will happen, but I like the thinking behind it.

Like most things, it's the few that spoil it for the many!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:29 pm 
Graduate

Putting the prices up will mainly be a problem for the young couples who have mortgages and perhaps small children and a drink in the home is their treat. The 2lish age group have the money still to spend and it is those people that need the limit putting on.

Town centres in the UK now around midnight are disgusting places with young girls falling down drunk and swearing and the like. Anything that would make that less can only be good.

Jan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:31 pm 
Regular

Maybe raising the lower age limit for drinking alcohol to 25 would help to alleviate some of the problems we have in the UK. I live in a seaside town and at weekends, in the summer after 11pm the town is a no-go area for anyone over this age,as the streets are awash with drunken youngsters. Some as young as 14, where are their parents? Sorry but if the lower age was 25 our towns could be re-claimed by those of us who like a night out occasionally. Putting up the price just penalises those who prefer to stay home.

Sue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:56 am 
Top of the pops

Personnaly, I think all alcohol should be at a minimum price. The smaller the better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:10 pm 
Idol

If this idea goes ahead, what about the poor folks on a basic state pension who have worked all there lives. In a lot of cases the only pleasure they have is to meet their mates for a social get together on a very limited budget.

The fault lies in the British culture, going right back to discipline in schools 30 odd years ago when things started to change. Kids parents started to complain about teachers, even if they just gave the kids a good telling off. I know I'm an old fart, but my parents backed teachers and the kids had a second telling off when they got home.

Now its all about the children having rights, correctly so in some cases, but has gone completley overboard, the teachers dont have any power left and, apparently, neither do the parents.
The whole social structure has spiraled downwards until we are now reaping the cost. Why don't parents have control of their kids. How come they don't know where they are at nights.

If this goes ahead it will encourage the blackmarket in booze and drive it underground, just like fags. Putting the price up every year hasn't stopped the ones who want to smoke. The just buy it on the blackmarket, hence the big increase in roll-ups.

This downhill spiral was one of the reasons I wanted out of the UK. I couldn't see an end to it.

Just as a matter of interest, who keeps the extra money? I'm sure the shops won't be allowed to. Sounds like another stealth tax to me.

Soapbox now put away

Mike

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:08 pm 
Top of the pops

parydise wrote:
If this idea goes ahead, what about the poor folks on a basic state pension who have worked all there lives. In a lot of cases the only pleasure they have is to meet their mates for a social get together on a very limited budget.

The fault lies in the British culture, going right back to discipline in schools 30 odd years ago when things started to change. Kids parents started to complain about teachers, even if they just gave the kids a good telling off. I know I'm an old fart, but my parents backed teachers and the kids had a second telling off when they got home.

Now its all about the children having rights, correctly so in some cases, but has gone completley overboard, the teachers dont have any power left and, apparently, neither do the parents.
The whole social structure has spiraled downwards until we are now reaping the cost. Why don't parents have control of their kids. How come they don't know where they are at nights.

If this goes ahead it will encourage the blackmarket in booze and drive it underground, just like fags. Putting the price up every year hasn't stopped the ones who want to smoke. The just buy it on the blackmarket, hence the big increase in roll-ups.

This downhill spiral was one of the reasons I wanted out of the UK. I couldn't see an end to it.

Just as a matter of interest, who keeps the extra money? I'm sure the shops won't be allowed to. Sounds like another stealth tax to me.

Soapbox now put away

Mike

:goodpost Mike, I'm an 'old fart' as well and totally agree with what you say :congrats

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:09 pm 
Web-Site Admin

parydise wrote:

:goodpost Absolutely right! My Dad was a headteacher for 30+ years and always identifies this as the single biggest change in discipline in his time there. Really disliked his job in the end.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body