Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:57 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:59 am 
Junior

Well you asked for it. I am now going to bore you all silly!

We bought our property in Cyprus on a whim We had had two holidays and loved them both. The first was just before e got married at Gretna Green, we bought our wedding rings in Limassol.
The second was 18 months later when we hired a villa through James Villas at the end of march begining of April.
Had a super time although I will quite ill with a really bad chesty cold. The villa was quite cold and we spent the evening huddled round the cooker ot warm up.
Flight was delayed and to pass the time I picked up an ad sheet fo peter stevensons and looked through it while we were waiting for the plane.
Took it home and then we started thinking about buying something, could we afford it???? what could we afford.
Anyway we booked a flight and room only and organised a few viewings with agents and flew out again in may. Saw loads of unsuitable houses and then saw something that we both fell in love with. couldnt afford it but hey you only live once so we took the plunge.
Flew back out again in June to clinch the deal and spent the first night in our new home.
That was over two years ago, and since then our original plan of rentng it out has gone out the window, and we want to give it a go at living in it all the time.

Our kids have all grown up and moved away, we only see them perhaps two or three times a year. I have always wanted to be a hands on Granni but as none of them are close enough I find it very hard here not being able to see them often.
So during a holiday out in our Cy house last year we started to plan out what we could do.
Main problem, aged Granny lives with us :shock: . Its been very hard to make a decision about her. She has got more and more difficult over the last year. We have come to the conclusion that we have a life as well and so we are looking for sheltered accommodation for her(viewing two more tomorrow) she is very inhappy about it and I must admit I dont feel to good about what we are doing but none of us are happy here any more so surely it cant be so wrong to sell up and move her out :?

We have had three agents round and they are all interested in selling it.
Rang a friend tonight who has always said he would be interested in it and he is asking us to hold on for a few weeks to see if he can get his act together.
So teh state of play at the moment is.
House valued and an agent chosen
Removal company coming round on friday to chat about costs so we can decide what goes and what is sold
Granny is on the move which will take a lot of setting up
this could take a long time,
:lol: Are you asleep yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:20 am 
Top of the pops

Marion

Well done on starting your moving diary and i am not a sleep yet.I am sure that admin will open a new section dedicated to moving diaries so they do not get lost.

That way each member who has a diary can return and update for members.It is a good resource of information for those moving as you can glean so much from them.As verity mentioned on her opening post another forum already does this and has quite a few on the go.

I am an avid reader as it gives insight to the big move so please keep posting updates.

frank :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:43 pm 
Rock Star

Brilliant Marion, and I too am still awake.

I sympathise with you about aged granny. We were in a similar situation where my mum in law of 91 lived in sheltered housing and required care after a serious illness 16 months ago. We had bought our plot and engaged a builder and planned our move for this year. We have been planning for years now. Guy (hubby) felt really guilty about leaving his mum as either he or his twin brother went to see her every day. She was Ok about it, but still you knew that she dreaded us leaving. To cut a long story short, she had a fall about 3 weeks ago and broke her hip, had surgery but then had a massive stroke. She died 2 days later and her funeral was yesterday. In a way we are lucky, and Guy says that he can go now and not feel guilty. However, we would still have made the move. There has to be a point in your life when you do things for YOU and not for other people, hard though it may seem.

So, to add to YOUR diary, we are at about the same point as you - house on market, removers quotes received, quote for dog received and everything crossed that we sell the house quickly. Also, my daughter Sam and granddaughter Mia are moving over on the 5th March, so most of the remaining family will be in Cyprus too.

Keep the diary coming and we can share experiences and hopefully the information we get will help each other. Looking forward to a "Diary" section.

Good luck to all of us who are embarking on the dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:52 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Cracking read Marion!

I can identify with buying a property on a whim - we did pretty much the same after getting married here a few years back, originally thinking we might rent it out, but in our case the change to decide to just come live in it happened in a matter of weeks rather than years!

Everyone says do loads of research before trying anything, but sometimes things just work out anyway, and fortunately we got lucky!
:D

Look forward to updates in the saga!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:27 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Marion

I did the same as you - came out on holiday, came back and bought! I think it's because I felt so safe here, not like the UK (see thread about 14 year old girl being stabbed 30 times!).

I had a similar problem about leaving my mum, she was 86 at the time ( will be 88 later this year), but I had a good talk to her, and she realised it was best for me. I'm lucky that my brother lives very close to her (don't think lucky is the word he would choose :lol: ). It's your life, and you have to live it, so go for it - I know it's hard, but when you've done so much for them, it's "your" time.

Look forward to the updates - keep us all posted on developments.

Jean 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:58 pm 
Junior

Thank you everyone for your very positive posts, we are in the middle of viewing sheltered accom today , 3 down one to go this afternoon but I think we have found one that she will like so fingers crossed we could have her moved out in about 6 weeks then we can really get a move on!
so excited that its really going to happen, and we can have a life on our own.
She is very unhappy at the moment, and is saying that she will not go, so stress levels are very high but I am sure she will love it when we get here there? fingers crossed.

More later
Maid Marion and her shining Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:00 pm 
Regular

My sisters & I reached the time in my Mum's life (12 years after our Dad died) when Mum was just not able to cope on her own any more but she flatly refused to live with any of us (we're awful people you know)!

We found a lovely residential home 10mins from my sister and half hour from us. She hated it (except when we weren't looking). She refused to eat (except when we weren't looking). She was ignored by the staff and never allowed to sit in the garden, which she loved (except when we weren't looking) and ...... when we suggested a move to live with one of us or another home she barked at us & said, why would I want to leave all the lovely friends and company I have here!

I lived 140 miles away for the last 15 years and made endless journeys up and down the motorway to see her every weekend. At my last visit (2 days before she died) she looked at my sisters and I, beside her hospital bed, and demanded one of the nurses take a photo of us because (in her own words) "it takes me dying to get these 3 together!!!"

This may seem strange, but I've never felt as close to my Mum or my sisters as I did that day and that continues today. Inheritance is not about money, it's infinitely more valuable! :)

Of all the things I've lost............ I miss my mind the most! __________________________________________________
Never say Never!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:10 pm 
Top of the pops

Marion
Keep it up and Thanks,
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:26 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Marion ,Its so hard trying to do the right thing for all but there comes a time you have to do whats right for you. We only live once.
Hope you find a place that you are all happy with.
Tricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:09 pm 
Junior

Hello All you lovely people

Just thought I would do a quick update. Have told the Granny that we have to sell, had loads of tears etc and her saying that shes not going etc but we are going to fire the big cannon tomorrow so fingers crossed,
Have also been sorting out lots of papers and thrown loads out

Now comes the first QUESTION

Important documents........... Birth certs etc
what do you do with them? do you take them with you on the plane? send them with your house contence post them?

I know it would be a good idea to photo copy them so we have copies but how did you all get then to Cyprus?????

And am I getting a diary section on the site How did the meeting go with all the peeps about the site?
Loads questions any answers????

Thanks Maid Marion

XXX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:15 pm 
Hi Maid Marion,

The answer to you important question is to bring all your important documents with you & make about 5 copies of each with at least 10 passport size photos too, as you'll need all these at sometime for something, that won't be of much use in 2-5 years anyway but its better to be safe than sorry :lol:

As for you're moving forum, as we have quite a few forums on the go at present, we thought we'd leave yours in the main Day 2 Day forum for now & make it a sticky, so everyone will be able to see it when they read all the other topics, will be viewed more that way, hope you don't mind :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:24 pm 
Junior

Love it Pete..... IM A STICKY!!!!!!!!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOO
Feel really important now thank you.
Will post again soon every one watch this space.
This is just like my former life when I used to write for the local paper

THANK YOU XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:25 pm 
Junior

sORRY :oops: Im a bit excitedxx :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:26 pm 
Top of the pops

I made copies of everything, and brought copies and originals with me in my hand luggage. I got a couple of the soft folders with the plast envelopes in from Tesco's and put them flat in the bottom of my hand luggage. I left some copies in the boxes, but made sure the originals were with me :oops:

Good luck with the move - I know it's hard telling the old people, but as has been said before, it's YOU time now.

Jean 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:47 pm 
maid marion wrote:
sORRY :oops: Im a bit excitedxx :roll:

You be as excited as you like, its our pleasure & you posts will help others in the same situation, so as its near the top, it'll get read more, can't wait for the next installment, keep up the good work :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:51 pm 
Junior

PS sorry Pete when you said about the documents I understand that you need lots of copies, would you carry them all on the plane (hand luggage)when you go out or put some with your other effects with the carriers etc either hold luggage or shipped?
Thanks
Marion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:56 pm 
I'd bring them with you then you'll have them instead of having to wait for your other items to turn, :D just imagine if the ship they're on sinks, then you'd be scuppered :lol: only kidding :wink:

Bring them with you, safest & quickest :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:24 am 
Star

Marion

Great post - wish you all the luck in the world with your move. I'm sure it must be difficult leaving elderley family behind but as others have said - this is your life too !

When we eventually move in a few years we will be leaving my parents and Dave's mum - all in their 70's but we have to have our time. We have brought up 4 kids between us and they are all grown up so we have to have our life now.

Can't wait for the next installment ..

Julie x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:47 am 
Junior

Hi Julie
thanks for your support, this granny is only a few years off 100 so even more difficult, but we need a life as well.

I have 4 children and 4 grand children plus another due in July,( grand child not child)!! :shock:
I have always wanted to be a hands on Granny to make things do cooking show then the wonders of the world like my Granny did for me but they all live so far away. I get to see them so little that I am no one important just someone mum and dad go and see once or twice a year.
I shall miss them all very much... so much it hurts when I think about it but I hope I can now be a more exciting Granny. Once the house is sold we will beable to treat them all to a holiday and will all that sun and sea and sand I am sure I will be remembered and I can still do the cooking things when they comeover or I go back to visit them.

This is such a hard choice to make but I think I am making the right one, who knows till I try it?!!
MARION

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:50 am 
Top of the pops

Marion

You will have lots of mixed emotions and if you did not i am sure something would be wrong.These feelings are normal and we get excited about our move when it comes.Everyone here is supportive and i am sue you may get some pm's.

Keep up the instalments and congratulations on being the first to start a moving diary.

frank :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:31 am 
Regular

Great Sticky!!!! I'm going to enjoy reading your progress. We only arrived late Sept so it's all new to us! I can't tell you how excited I was, a mixture of joy and trepidation with a certain amount of anxiety thrown in but it's the best decision we ever made. Early days I know but I trust my intuition and if it 'feels right' it usually is!

Re. important & original doc's. I agree with others here........... keep the originals in your hand luggage with a set of copies in your hubby's hand luggage, just in case. The rest of the copies and less important stuff, can lay flat in the bottom of your suitcases, but trusting all to baggage handlers would not be a good idea. :D

Keep us posted and ask as many questions as you want. I'm so impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the members on this site! Thanks guys!

Of all the things I've lost............ I miss my mind the most! __________________________________________________
Never say Never!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:36 pm 
Junior

Next Chapter

Bl**dy h*ll this has been a horrible few weeks!
Spoke to the Granny and told her that we will have to put the house on the market.
She has tried everything to get us to change our minds.
We have taken her to see a couple of the sheltered flats we think are suitable but she didnt want to go. I then started looking into our legal situation, which looked very bleak as we would have to take her to court to evict her ( had nightmares thinking about the newspaper headlines: Son evicts 96 year old Mother :shock: )
But last night after talks that went nearly all day she agreed. :bounce

So we are now filling in forms and arranging removals for her.

Ive been keeping my head down and sorting out cupboards.
Have arranged two car boot sales and have most of the kids coming over to pick through what we have decided not to take.
Estate agent is booked to put the house on the market at the begining of March, after Mum has moved out.
So we are looking to be moving over in September?all going well.
But we could go and leave the house empty?

Feel so relieved now that she has agreed. Ive been talking to her today and she seems very happy about the new flat, she could have saved us three weeks of grief but never mind. Our last major hurdle is out the way. Now everything else will be easy :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:51 pm 
Regular

Glad to hear things are OK. Lots to do with the clearing out, we thought we were ruthless but still found things in our container which we'll never need (all to the benefit of the nearby charity shop :lol: ). Good luck with the house sale :D

Never say Never!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:12 pm 
Top of the pops

Sounds like you have had a tuff time .But good you can move on to next stage Thanks again for taking time to post .
Tricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:23 pm 
Star

What a nightmare week - still all's well that ends well as they say

Good luck with the house sale and keep us posted on your progress

Julie x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:48 pm 
Junior

hello folks
Just a few questions
I still have 4 years before I can retire
does anyone know if I can pay a lump sum to make up my contributions for they 4 years or would I have to pay them yearly

Also I take medication for an underative thyroid and BP

I have a repeat that I just take to my chemist and he sorts of with our local health centre
Would I have to register or can I just go to a chemist and ask for the medication I require

Money!!! When others have sold there UK residence did you keep the cash in the UK and if so how does that work out with tax etc
hope you can help

Marion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:58 pm 
Top of the pops

Interesting reading since it was nearly four years ago we moved here. If I had known at the time that there were forums like this a lot of things would have been done differently.

MM glad you have convinced Granny and things will get easier. Good luck with your move.

"Your dog is your friend, your partner, your defender. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:37 pm 
Top of the pops

When my friend emigrated to Australia, she got a quote from the Pensions Service, and paid up front so that she will get her pension when she is eligible. I think she paid something like 6 years in one lump.

Lots of medication can be bought over the counter here. I cam buy my BP pills here, and my inhalers. It's worth asking, otherwise a doctor will give you a prescription for 6 months, and you lodge it at a chemist then each month you go and buy that months supply!

Jean 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:46 pm 
Junior

Thanks Jean thats really handy to know I will give the pensions people a ring on Monday

Hows your knee? I hope its better now
Marion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:51 pm 
Top of the pops

Much better today, thanks. What a stupid thing to do :roll:

Jean 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:43 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Marion

Before paying subs up front, make sure it will be worth your while.

You may have paid enough in to get your full pension.

We still have U.K. banking and pay our tax here in Cyprus.

Molly :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:32 pm 
Junior

Hi Molly
dont think I will have paid enough as having the girls has made a big hole in my years when I paid and the home responsibility thingy hadn't come in till half way through my child rearing years so will give them a ring and find out what the score is, thanks.

i take it that you just transfer money as and when? how does that work out with the exchange rate do you [get good value for money?!
thanks
Marion
PS
Think I now qualify as an ebay shop. Ive got achy fingers from all the typing but the bids are coming in so it getting rid of things!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:43 pm 
Top of the pops

I try all different ways of transferring my money Marion. Depends on different factors, I usually bring back sterling when I visit the U.K. Or pay on my U.K. credit card, get cash out ATM with my U.K. debit card.

Also transfer monies from U.K. into my Cypriot account. Many choices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:40 am 
Top of the pops

Hi Marion we know exactly where you are coming from regarding elderly parents.
It was around the year 2003, we had raised our four chidren from 1967 and our twins were 24 and still at home, between us we had two mothers still alive but ailing, my own mother who my wife had cared for over many years turned nasty and horrible and with the encouragement of my brother disowned us.
We still had two of our children at home yet social services expected my Wife to run three homes, my Wife was refused carers allowance for our mothers as she was expected to be available 35 hours a week for each.
I put my foot down when social services tried to insist that my Wife was the main carer and from that moment I decided to take a firm stance making the social services play their part.
The point I made to the social services was that considering that we had been at someones beck and call for 36 years we were now entitled to some quality time of our own.
Marion I don't blame you one bit, soon we hope to move over and carry on where we left off in 1967.
Best regards John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:56 pm 
Junior

John, Thank you so much for your comments.

I must admit that we have been feeling really horrible about "putting her out " as she calls it.
But my lovely husband and I have only been together for 6 years and all that time we have had her breathing down our neck moaning about what I do, so as you say its now "our" time and we are going to grab it with open hands

Something else has happened today which has made me think that we have made the right decision.

I had a phone call this morning from an old dear friend who is only 5 years older than me. She told me she has had a mini stroke!
makes one realise that we only get one chance at this life, so go for it whatever your dream is.

Brighter note: Molly suggested I find out about NI payments to make up my qualifying years. I have looked at Inland Rev site and downloaded a pension forcast form which I have filled in and sent of. I will then know if I need to make any further payments or if I can just wait till I am 61 2months and 18days before claiming it!

Another note : Isnt it surprising the things you find when your clearing our cupboards, just come across about 50 old pennies and a half sovereign (which is now on ebay) ((with lots of other items.)) Considering we are only hoping to have a 20 ft container we still have a lot of things to get rid of. But its going, all things seem to be going according to plan.......... they future looks bright!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:50 pm 
Rock Star

Hi Marion,

You are doing the right thing I am sure, and your determination is a credit to you in the face of adversity.

When my mother was alive, and I have had some experience of many other members of the twilight generation, she became very stubborn and it seems to be normal. Emotional blackmail becomes a mastered art very quickly with them too. I just hope I don't get like it if I reach that age. My point is, you have to stand firm and you are doing just that. My mother had to go into care for various reasons, and she hated it - but only when we were there for her to tell us so. She was perfectly happy when we were not, so don't feel guilty. Easier said than done I know.

I too have a friend 4 years younger than me who has had 2 mini-strokes now so yes, you need to think about your future. Guy and I have only been married a short time too and I feel that we have missed out on so much time. I intend to make the most of every remaining minute we have together, which will hopefully be many.

Keep the updates coming, we are all here to help each other along this path.

Take care,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:31 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Marion fully understand about your friend, we're now at the time of life when all you hear is "have you heard about so and so"?

So many of my fellow musicians have fallen by the wayside in recent years and that is why I am continuing to play at my age, it is the one thing that I still feel the same over each time that I step up on stage.

You don't want to wake up one day; very old and then wonder; if only.

Like you say you've got to go for it.

best regards John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:04 pm 
Top of the pops

Marion

Well done on taking the steps you have done. I know they don't mean it :roll: , but old parents are very good indeed at emotional blackmail. I went back to the UK for a week in October, the first time since I left the October before. Before I left, I promised my mum that I would stay with her when I returned for a visit. After one week, the morning that I was leaving, it was "oh, I'm going to miss having my cup of tea in bed in a morning! " - I purposely didn't do that, cos I knew that's what would happen :roll: It was then, "oh, I'm going to miss not having someone to say good morning to", oh dear me, it really was very hard to leave, but I knew my new life is here in Cyprus, so I had to be strong. However, when she rang me the day after I came home, saying the same things, I had to say it - Mum, I've only been for a week!! :shock: Anyway, she's fine again now, and I will be going back again this year - but only for a week!

I just know that if I'd said, OK I'll stay a bit longer, I would never have left again. This is our only chance at life, so we all have to live it, and enjoy every minute of it. We've all earned every minute of it - especially when a young woman I used to know died just before Christmas of a brain tumour - at 38 years old!!!

Jean 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:30 pm 
Top of the pops

maid marion wrote:

Brighter note: Molly suggested I find out about NI payments to make up my qualifying years. I have looked at Inland Rev site and downloaded a pension forcast form which I have filled in and sent of. I will then know if I need to make any further payments or if I can just wait till I am 61 2months and 18days before claiming it!

Hi Marion

Glad to be of help - why pay out more if there is no need to. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:04 pm 
Top of the pops

Makes me realise that we are lucky in a funny way that we don't have to consider our parents.
Worry about the kids though !
Still, it won't stop us giving it a go.
Major Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:12 pm 
Top of the pops

we only live once ,just got to go for it,I think we all feel guilty at times we are only human. Even as i say its my time now i still feel the guilt and are we sure ? well theres only one way to find out
be there as fast as i can
Tricia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:17 am 
Junior

Evening All
Next question
All being well we should be able to sell up an move out at the end of the year, fingers crossed. We have informed all family that we have spent our last xmas in the UK. Now,, with the good old english property market having the jitters, if we dont sell we would still like to come out and spend xmas in Cyprus, whats the longest eriod we can spend xmas out there, I know there is something about 3 months stay but how do we go about staying longer? Or could we regester to stay there even though we would have to come back to finalise the house sale?

Anyone want to buy a large house?!! :greetings ..............please :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:28 pm 
Top of the pops

I am not sure that the three month rule applies any more now that we are all EU citizens. Cyprus is moving very slowly in getting EU regs sorted out. This is still the information posted by the Cyprus government. You could always try emailing the Ministry of the Interior and asking the specific question.

On 1 May 2004, the Greek half of Cyprus became part of the European Union (EU). Any European citizen can enter the territory of the Republic of Cyprus with an identity card or valid passport. They can enter the country without an employment contract and seek work for a period of three months. Once EU citizens have found work, they must contact the Department of Migration within the Ministry of the Interior (Cyprus) in order to be registered and to obtain the appropriate permit.

If a European citizen wishes to work for longer than three months, they must apply for a residence permit with the Civil Registration and Migration Department (through the local immigration branch of the police). Under European legislation, citizens of Europe are subject to the same deductions and taxes as the citizens of Cyprus.

If you are not looking for work I don't think it is such an issue as long as you can support yourself. You need to pay tax to one country, but I don't think there is any rush to register to pay in Cyprus if you are just renting initially as you could decide that you don't want to stay. But that is not fact, it is just supposition, so don't take any notice of me. Someone might have an up to date answer for you.

Verity. 8)

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. Image

http://coecyp.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:51 pm 
Junior

Hi Verity
Thank you for your reply, I do hope you are feeling better.
We won't be renting as we already have a property but I will email and ask the question.

thanks again

Marion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:04 pm 
Top of the pops

If I was you Marion, I would waint until nearer the time when you are ready to move before you email.

Cos things are changing all the time here and who knows what will happen at the end of the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:35 pm 
Junior

Hi All

Well things have moved on. I sent of my pension forcast and have recieved the reply.

" With the introduction of the new legislation on basic state pension which will come into effect from April 2010 we are unable to offer our normal basic state pension forcasting facility until autumn 2008- this is to allow for enhancements to our computer system"

So I think I will have to ring them and find out about the additional 4 years worth that I will need after October.
We have now got a flat for my mother in law. We go and pick up the keys tomorrow. We have to arrange for sky tv for her which we hope will be done next week, Ive sorted out her housing benefit and phone. Need to hang her new curtains and put up some shelves. Then the big move out will be happening on the 10th.

Then I can organise this house for sale, we have arranged a decorator to just come and slap a bit of paint on her bedroom and sitting room walls and a friend is going to help us move some of the furniture around to make it look homely. Then I can get the estate agent in for measuring and photos and then hopefully we will sell as quickly as everone else :shock:(just had to sort out the printerfor OH) so I can am now back to finish off this chapter!!!

Ive just written to the pension people asking if I can make up the years I have missed so that I can have a full pension so will keep you informed on that. It appears I missed out while the children were young by working part time but not enough hours to pay a stamp :x So hopefully I can make up the difference?

The clear out is continuing, although most of the money I have made on ebay Ive spent on house furnishings to tart the house up for selling. OH thinks Ive gone mad(could be right) but I want this house to sell for the best possible price as it will mean we can spend more on our build in Cyprus

Well I think thats all for now.
Hopefully next time I update you the house will be up for sale :D :D :D

Last edited by maid marion on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Marion

I am sure it will turn out for you just like the rest.I too asked for forecast and still awaiting my outcome as we are looking at going early.

Glad to see it is all coming together and that you have found a flat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:06 pm 
Junior

After receiving my penson forecast I emailed with a few questions. This morning I received a phone call from Inland Revenue :shock: Wondered what I could have done wrong but there was a very nice man on the other end of the phone who explained to me about the changes that are happening to the pension service.

I have at the moment 21 years credited to my account. You need 30, as a woman to get a full state pension. The are changing things so that any time you have spent at home bringing up children will be credited to your account. If we manage to sell the house and move out towards the end of this year I may have to pay voluntary contributions for the rest of this financial year. After that I should have enough years credited to give me a full pension, I was well chuffed 8)

We have the estate agent coming tomorrow at 10.30 to measure up. So the house will be on for Easter which is what I have been aiming at so lets hope that this house sells as quickly as everyone elses has.

The big plan is all coming together :greetings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:09 pm 
Top of the pops

Great update marion and good news about your pension.I will keep my fingers crossed for a quick sale.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:39 pm 
Junior

Well the mother in law has been moved, she appears to like it although shes not letting on to us that she does.
Yesterday the Estate agent called round, took all the details and photos we signed all the papers, even had to prove that we owned the house :shock: Paid of our HIPS etc.This morning the HIPS lady came round and did her thing. Now all the details are on the internet with photos, so after weeks of clearing, painting, moving old ladies, decorating and gardening we can now sit back and wait, and wait :wink:

Not in that much of a hurry as we would prefer to move later in the year but who knows.

So after what seems like an age we are finally getting there. So we are sitting looking at the sunshine waiting for the phone to ring :lol:

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body