Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:59 pm

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:07 pm 
Top of the pops

maid marion wrote:
Well the mother in law has been moved, she appears to like it although shes not letting on to us that she does.
Yesterday the Estate agent called round, took all the details and photos we signed all the papers, even had to prove that we owned the house :shock: Paid of our HIPS etc.This morning the HIPS lady came round and did her thing. Now all the details are on the internet with photos, so after weeks of clearing, painting, moving old ladies, decorating and gardening we can now sit back and wait, and wait :wink:

Not in that much of a hurry as we would prefer to move later in the year but who knows.

So after what seems like an age we are finally getting there. So we are sitting looking at the sunshine waiting for the phone to ring :lol:

Hi Marion Good for you, we've booked our one way tickets for 29th of April, we will have the property on the market when we return for our daughters wedding towards the end of the year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:43 pm 
Junior

Hello Everyone, Just gone into headless chicken mode.. The estate agent has just rung and we have someone coming round tomorrow to look at the house :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I thought it would take longer and the estate agent wasnt happy with the price we have asked for so really surprised. Please keep everything crossed for us. Hope they aren't time wasters, although big prob is if we do get an offer we are due to come out to Cyprus for 5 weeks starting 16th April. Could this be a case of S*D's law :bounce :bounce so happy though at lease we have someone looking

Will keep you posted

A Happy Me and Him!!!!! :bounce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:42 am 
Top of the pops

Fingers Crossed for you Marion

Treat others as you want to be treated

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:51 am 
Rock Star

Good luck Marion. I am glad things are moving along for you.

If our experience is anything to go by, be prepared for the house to sell quickly. We were thinking it might take a year, not a month!!!!! Then start panicking :wink: :wink: Don't worry, it will all fall into place I am sure and you will cope with whatever comes along. Hope to see you there soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:30 am 
Junior

Hi Tina
thanks for the encouragement The woman turned up on Saturday with her sister and son in tow. The sister and son were full of praise as was the estate agent who hadnt been here before but the woman who would be buying it had, as my daughter would say "She had a face like a slapped backend" and didnt seem very interested. So I dont think anything will come of this viewing. The estate agent wasn't happy iwth the amount we wanted to put the house up for, so I was surprised that after only a week we had a viewing. As we are going to be away for 5 weeks from the 16th we had a bit of a panic, so have now got all the things in place at the solicitors incase something happens while we are away.

If it does go quickly, we will have the problem of finding somewhere to live for the next few months as we have family committments in the summer (granny duty for new baby due 15th July) so dont want to go out for 5 weeks holiday then out again back again and out again!! if you get my drift. I dont like flying at the best of times so having all those flights ahead of me would fill be with dread.

One good point, the estate agent arrived early and asked to have a look round, when I had shown him all the house he said how tidy and well presented it was :celebrate which after all the weeks of sorting selling and giving away we seem to be getting there. We have also recently updated both bathrooms and revamped the kitchen, which I hope will make the house more appealing. Dont get me wrong we didnt just do this to sell the house, the bathrooms were very dated and cramped and by retiling changing the room round etc we now have somewhere that we have enjoyed living in.

Well its just over 2 weeks till we shall be out there enjoying the sunshine and relaxing. Baby daughter and partner are coming out for a week but the rest of the time we can justrelax and soak up the sun and do nothing :celeb2 After the last few months that sounds like bliss
Sorry got a touch of wafflitus this morning.
Will now close and get all the weekend sales on ebay to the post office. We have been making a mint on there and now have enough for our holiday spends!! :clapping :clapping :celeb2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:16 pm 
Rock Star

Don't worry Marion. Even if it does sell quickly, as soon as the solicitors get involved it will slow it down a bit anyway :roll: . Although our buyers wanted to complete on 12th April and we said no, 12th May, it is now apparent that it would have been an impossible task to complete by April as the solicitors spend a lot of time making suggestions, querying points and generally justifying their fee. Bit cynical maybe; just looking after our interests as clients. So, all in all, to complete in anything less than 2 months is pushing it a lot. More like 3, so you could probably delay until July anyway. And if there is a chain then it could take longer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:20 pm 
Regular

hi cypriotsid,
i know you said in a post last week your in a similar situation to us, just wondered how things are going, any nearer to moving?

emma :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:22 pm 
Regular

maid marion,
good news on the pension front! just wondered what is the house market like where you are, ours went up for sale last week but apparently market is very quiet up here.

emma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:49 pm 
Top of the pops

edew27 wrote:
hi cypriotsid,
i know you said in a post last week your in a similar situation to us, just wondered how things are going, any nearer to moving?

emma :D

Not sure if you mean Frank, Emma, cos he is on holiday at the moment - guess where - Cyprus :lol: :lol:

Treat others as you want to be treated

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:36 pm 
Junior

Hi Emma
Not sure about the market here at the moment. We were surprised to get a viewing so quickly so perhaps all the reports in the papers are not correct?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:45 pm 
Major

Hi Marion

The newspapers love to exaggerate and spread doom and gloom and then people believe it and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I did think that the predicted fall in house prices would put people off buying now, but apparently if they can get a mortgage it will be a cheaper one now than maybe in a few months as things could get worse, and of course we need the first time buyers to start the ball rolling.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers

Milly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:41 am 
Junior

Well, Is been a long time since I posted on here, mainly cos nothing has been happening! :( The housing market is dead dead and more dead.
We were asked by our estate agent to drop the price by £50,000 :shock: we had a long think about it and decided to drop by £25,000 and offer the car as an insentive. We still have had no response. So we called a local letting agent and asked them to come round and look at the house. Strangely the estate agent turned up at the house on friday (the day after the letting agent) as he's was new to the office and wanted to view the house. Everywhere was fairly straight apart from the sitting room, the bl**dy cat had caught a mouse and it had died under the sofa we were unaware of this until it started to smell :oops: so I had upturned the sofa to get rid of the offending mouse and was about to clean the carpet when he called.

The estate agent then suggested that we needed to drop the house by another £50,000 if we really wanted to shift it :shock: :shock: this would then have been a price drop from £415,000 down to £300,000 I think he was having a laugh or had a friend who wanted it for a knock down price Its not a bug hutch, there are 5 bedrooms 2 sitting rooms 2 kitchens 3 bathrooms dining room office garage and gardens so no small house. So we said we would think about it and get back to them on Monday.

After a weekend looking at the figures, we have decided to rent the house and wait for the market to recover? I am not happy about giving my house away which is what we would be doing if we had followed the estate agents advice. We rang them on Monday and politely told them to sling their hook and take their for sale sign with them. We then asked the rental company to take it on and its on their books now, hopefully we will get a rental quickly. We then looked at dates :shock: The rental agent wanted the house by mid september as he said the best time was July August for rentals so we chose a date rang the shipping company organised a date and booked it

We are now in a state of complete chaos. Trying to organise things and sell off the last remaining odds and sods that we dont want to take with us.

But we are gettiing there.
So far I have

Booked flights
Booked car hire
Booked bed and breakfast for the days before we fly so we can have the house clean for the tenant
Organised shipping
booked carpet cleaner
booked cleaner
ordered medical records from GP
looked into house insurance for letted houses
bought extra bedding for new house

I have been trying to sort out how we can get money to my mother in law at her sheltered accom, Im waiting for SS to get back to me on that
Also awaiting call from money exchange to transfer some dosh so we can buy a car when we get there

Well thats about it for now, with the housing market as it is at the moment we think we have taken the best option as with pensions and rental we should have a reasonable life will just need to get the kids to camp in the garden when the come for a holiday!!
take care everyone

xx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:04 am 
Rock Star

Well at least you are on your way, so good news Marion. I think you have made the right decision - I would have been devastated to think we would have had to give our house away. I know prices have fallen, but not by that huge amount. If anyone is in that position and has enough income to live on then renting must be the best option.

Sooooooo, you have booked you flights - but for when? When can we expect to meet you at last????? I know you are going to be in a whirlwind of things to do but don't panic - it will all turn out right in the end. :celebrate :celebrate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:59 am 
Junior

We fly out on the 13th September. We havent told anyone in the family yet as its one of the daughters birthdays and I want to talk to her first, but shes rather busy at the moment and I dont seem to be able to get hold of her

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body