Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:10 am

Play Pool, Darts in Paphos, Cyprus Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:19 pm 
Idol

Location: Feet in Summer Wine Country, Heart in Brandy Sour Country
What do you do with photos?

We don't have hardly any printed now with digital and PC but there's a few albums going back years - and I hate throwing photos away. Scanning them takes hours too.

Is it a case of being ruthless and keeping only a selection?

Pam :D

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:24 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Pam

I bought a load of scrap albums (this was quite a few years ago) and sorted them all out in date order.

I couldn't bear to through photos away and the grandchildren love to get the albums out to look at them. :lol:

Treat others as you want to be treated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:11 pm 
Rock Star

I have a lot of photos in albums but even more that are not. I am going to bring everything as it is but intend to put the job of scanning them all on my list of "jobs that I can do in Cyprus as I will have more time". That's the plan anyway. I can't throw them away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:22 pm 
Idol

I suppose when you think about the size of a container for shipping, a 'few' photos will not take up that much space?!

So I'm taking all mine too! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:48 pm 
Rock Star

Good for you Pam. I couldn't bear to lose the memories. I even have my Mum & Dad's old photos, some in sepia. I WILL scan them all in though, because many of the old ones are already badly faded and it is the best way to preserve them. Photography is a passion of mine anyway so I will have a go at rescuing some of them too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:49 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Tina

Try link below

https://www.recapturedmemories.com/

It is a member sponsor on lim board and hope not contravening rules if i am it can be removed.It is not a recommendation as never had work done but you might want to look into it.

frank :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:13 pm 
Rock Star

Thanks for that Frank. I will have a look at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:47 am 
Forum Admin

cypriotsid wrote:
Hi Tina

Try link below

https://www.recapturedmemories.com/

It is a member sponsor on lim board and hope not contravening rules if i am it can be removed.It is not a recommendation as never had work done but you might want to look into it.

frank :D

Its not against the rules , thats why we are here... :wink:
to help each other out..
The funny thing is though,, that company contacted me yesterday for advertising :D

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:11 pm 
Rock Star

I have looked at this website and I have to say that their prices are very reasonable by UK standards.

My brother-in-law went to someone who does the same here in Wales and he was quoted a massive £75 for ONE photograph.

The motto here is, if you want to have any old photos done wait until you get to Cyprus!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:18 pm 
Same with specs, as my cost me £340 in the UK but only cyp£170 here in Paphos :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:11 pm 

Good afternoon.

If you have a container your treasures will always fit so don't do owt in haste. How many times has it been mentioned about the things you didn't take but wished you had. If you have a small consignment going the memories have a far greater value than the small cost of sending it over.

My advice is to do nothing you are likely to regret.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:23 pm 
Rock Star

Well, things are progressing nicely. We have decided who will ship our treasured possessions and who will take care of the doggy side of the move. We have set a date of 21st April to have the house packed up and gone so that hopefully we won't have to wait too long once we arrive in Cyprus on 14th May, if at all. Only problem is it only leaves us 3 weeks from when I get back from this trip, which is pushing it since I will be working right up to the lst minute and won't be able to dismantle my office here. And yes I am panicking.

I have been up working since 4am today and think this will continue when I get back. I will be viewing houses next week and hopefully will settle on one pretty quickly. Location will be more important than anything as we don't want to be travelling too far whilst the house is being built, and we intend to keep a close eye on things. This is not a criticism of the builders, as we had to do the same when we converted this barn. Something came up almost on a daily basis and you need to be on hand, unless you are prepared to let others make decisions for you. This is not a good idea, and if things go wrong you only have yourself to blame. I would advise anybody against having a house built and not living in Cyprus, unless they have a really trusted project manager.

I am frantically trying to fit in organising Mia's things to pack. It is her last day at school today and she was up and dressed at the crack of dawn too as she is so excited. Very unusual for her as I normally have to nag her to get up.

Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:23 pm 
Junior

Hi Tina

I would endorse your point about living as close to the build as possible. We lived in the same village; we went down to the site every evening when I came home from work and my husband also went to the house during the day.

Although we had many arranged site meetings, very often he would just get a call asking do you want X or Y? If you don't stiplulate one then you will just get what they decide. Even down to small things like where exactly on the cupboards to put the handles.

All these trips can mount up in time and petrol if you are not living nearby.

Good luck with your move.

Fiona

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:28 pm 
Rock Star

That's exactly what happened to us here Fiona. A lot of people will blame their builders and not accept that it is their own fault for not being there to make these decisions.

Looks like we will be near-ish neighbours then :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:23 pm 
Major

Hi Tina

Just read your diary, great stuff, it's quite daunting this moving country stuff, I envy you going at this time of year, I had hoped to move in the Spring or Summer, but mustn't grumble, as long as I get to do it in the end I'm determined to enjoy the process, (and have the odd grumble along the way).

All the best and hope it all goes smoothly for you. :congrats

Milly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:33 pm 
Rock Star

Well Guys, I arrived back here at 5 am and got about 3 hours sleep!!!!!

Just a quick update. We have rented a house in Ineia which is going to be very convenient for the build. Another bonus is it is still within walking distance of Verity's house so I can have the sunset drinks without worrying about driving home :lol: :lol:

So the moving starts in earnest now. So many things to do, but not today. Tomorrow then, for organising the shipping date, date to take the dog to Golden Arrow, organising boxes and making more lists. I have come back with a long list of things to get here before we leave, based on requests and things that we can't get or things that will be more expensive in Cyprus. Then it is sorting out the business and it's bank accounts, sorting out final accounts and dismantling the office. Packing can't start until I have wound up work. More things to sell, the skip is arriving at the end of the week and the charity shop piles have to be distributed.

I could go on forever with things to be done and I will try to keep the lists posted if I think of anything not already mentioned. Going out to lunch today (a posh one) so have to get my glad rags on. Updates to follow :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:24 pm 
Idol

Hi Tina!

Enjoy your 'posh lunch'.

I would be very interested in the list of things you have been advised to take, that are either not available or more expensive in Cy. I suppose some are personal, and some more general.

You appear to be very organised already!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:02 pm 
Top of the pops

Such exciting times Tina, but isn't it great when you start ticking off all those to do's on the list :lol:

Hope you enjoyed your posh lunch today :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:23 pm 
Star

Hope the lunch was good Tina :D

Keep us posted on your progress

Not long now .... only 6 weeks and a bit :lol:

Julie x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:49 pm 
Rock Star

Just a quick update for yu all on our progress this week.

Boxes have arrived and we can start the packing. Not got much done on that front as I have been training all week, and have someone else arriving on Monday for another 4 days training. We have managed several runs to the tip and taken various things to charity shops (well, Guy has anyway). We now sport a nice skip in the drive too.

I have order various things to bring, such as bed linen and towels, DVD's that won't be watched until we arrive ( :wink: ), new sewing machine as I will have more time on my hands, loads of Avon SSS and other goodies, swimming costumes, school uniform for Mia, Key Stage books to keep her English up, stock of ink for the printer, coconut blocks for my curries, dog food as she is very fussy, have researched buying a Sky+ box and bought Sam a DVD recorder from Tesco as they are still quite expensive in Cyprus.

I am working through the lists but they seem to be getting longer not shorter as we keep adding to them. I have arranged for a "proof of no claims discount" letter from the insurers, got the car MOT'd and serviced (was due 2nd April anyway), had shippers in to do final meterage (spelling?) checks, booked removal date for 21st April and arranged dog to Golden Arrow on 18th April. We have also arranged accommodation when we arrive where we will stay until the container arrives.

Phew, actually maybe we have got more done than I thought. But only two more weeks to get it all ready to go. We are spending our last 3 weeks here visiting various friends and family members around the UK before we return to Wales for the last 2 days with my sister before our flight out.

It is coming round alarmingly fast now and I am still having sleepless nights worring about the stupidest of things. I am still worrying about work too, but I am sure that will all dissipate the minute I get on that plane. As Guy keeps telling me, if they get into difficulties it is not my problem anymore. I didn't employ my replacements, they did. I know he is right but I still feel somewhat responsible, so best I get into retirement mode pretty soon.

Will keep you updated, and if anyone can think of things that I should bring with me that I may have forgotten please feel free to add to my lists :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:33 pm 
Top of the pops

You have been busy,Tina, feel i need a cuppa just reading it. :lol:
Tricia x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:12 pm 
Top of the pops

I know you are busy Tina but keep it coming. Telling us what you are doing is going to prove very useful to others.
Ta Gary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:57 am 
Rock Star

I will keep it coming for as long as I have a connection. When the container goes so will the PC, but I may be able to use friends as we will be visiting.

We managed to pack a few boxes last night and I am off shopping for more goodies this morning, then back to the packing. We have to tackle the sheds which are 55ft long. That is where the skip will come in useful I am sure :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:10 am 
Top of the pops

Hahaha - I can still remember filling the skip and all the sorted sorted out for charity Tina. :lol:

Isn't it amazing how much 'stuff' you accumulate (sp) over the years. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:03 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Tina

Great update since i have been away :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:48 pm 
Major

Hi Tina

Good luck and keep it coming, I am taking it all in and your experiences will be so helpful for me :D

Cheers

Milly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:03 am 
Rock Star

We have now exchanged contracts..... yippee. And completion date has been brought forward from 12th May to 24th April.

Managed to pack up two complete rooms so the packing is coming along nicely. Container arrives on 21st April and leaves the house on the 22nd now. Have ordered electric blankets so they should arrive today or tomorrow :roll:

More training to do today and tomorrow and then I can start to think about dismantling the office, which will probably be the hardest room to clear. I have to do three more days at our Head Office at the end of the month (after we move out), and then that's it - retirement :wink: Can't wait. I have also arranged for Daisy to go to her foster parents for a few days when she arrives in Cyprus, so all in all things are OK.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:09 pm 
Major

Congratulations Tina on your exchange of contracts, now you know that your buyer can't back out. :congrats

cheers

Milly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:30 pm 
Top of the pops

Great news Tina :greetings :celeb2 :celeb2 :celeb2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:26 am 
Master

Great postings Tina

Good luck with rest of move and look forward to meeting when you arrive.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:01 am 
Idol

Good news Tina :hurray

You are well on your way now! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:13 pm 
Rock Star

I have not been online for a couple of days - far too busy!!! Just a brief update then.

I was up at 3 am yesterday filling in our tax returns that arrived the day before, and at 5 am today. Packing has now started in earnest. Apart from the tax returns, I also downloarded the necessary forms to notify Inland Revenue that we are leaving the country and forms to notify banks etc that we will not be UK tax payers. I have photocopied everything and put everything in a file; originals to travel with us. We have notified council re council tax, organised insurance cancellations, got letter from car insurers re no claims bonus entitlement, organised internet disconnection (not just yet though - need PP up until the last minute) and hopefully not forgotten anything :roll: .

We will be homeless in just over a week, so I will have to borrow friends/family internet access. I bought a new laptop yesterday and have now got rid of all the office equipment and all three desktop PC's. Fax machine has also gone along with VPN link to head office. That means I can't work anymore............yippee.......... So apart from a few days training of new girl at the end of the month I guess I am officially retired.

We had our buyers round yesterday, along with various people picking up office stuff. They are very excited about moving into our house, which is nice as we love it anyway. It will be a bit of a wrench leaving it but I won't dwell on it for long I am sure. Daisy goes to Golden Arrow on Friday and then we are away on Monday. Before I know it we will be landing in Paphos and reunited with Sam & Mia. Then we await the container and move into our rented house for a new life.

I know our feet won't touch the ground for several weeks as I know we will have a lot to sort out with the various Government departments in Cyprus, but I am so looking forward to a new relaxed life without the stress of the job.

Will keep you informed when I am not too busy!!!!!!!

See a lot of you soon and hope to meet a lot more of our new members too. :greetings

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:18 pm 
Top of the pops

wow Tina you seem to have it all sorted all the best . take it easy now most is done you can slow down a bit .
Tricia x :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:32 pm 
Rock Star

I wish I could Tricia. There is still loads to do it seems. The house looks like a bomb site - I am surprised our buyers didn't change their minds when they saw it!!!! Cleaning has gone out of the window with the packing. I want to get to grips with that when it is all done. The oven seriously needs the Oven Pride!!! Thankfully our stuff will be out 3 days before completion so I will have an empty house to clean. Only problem is that the hoover etc will be in the container :roll: Just have to borrow my sisters things.

Hope to meet up with you when you are over (in the summer I think???).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:51 pm 
Idol

Tina, I was thinking you must be up to your eyes in it as you hadn't posted for a while. I don't know how you manage to do what you do with so little sleep :?: :!: :shock:

Maybe it's the adrenalin that's keeping you going?

You are so lucky - getting out just in time before the credit crisis really takes hold, I think we are stuck here for some time......... :!:

All the best for your last week of packing etc! :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:16 am 
Top of the pops

Very busy times Tina, but O sooo exciting as well, I remember it well.

You take care and catch up with you soon :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:50 am 
Rock Star

I think you are right Pam. The adrenalin is keeping me going. There are too many things going round in my head to sleep for more than about 3 hours; then I toss and turn for another 3 before I give up and get up.

I know we are lucky and have got out at the right time. Our estate agent told me that properties are being down-valued now by 20-30% and that first time buyers are finding it very difficult to get mortgages. We were lucky enough to have a unique house too, in that it is a barn conversion, as we would have had a much tougher time if it had been just another detatched house. And cash buyers - what a gift. We had originally planned to wait until March to even put the house on the market, and I am so glad we didn't wait as it could be a completely different story now. I don't envy anyone entering the housing market now and thank my lucky stars. I wish you very good luck with your venture.

Molly, it is very exciting and you were right about the lists. I have got several, but they are slowly being ticked off now with not so many new entries for things I had forgotten. At least the Inland Revenue have been dealt with!!!!! And I am expecting a tax refund which will be a first!!!!!

I am off to my sisters house now to switch her freezer on (as she is not back from Spain until Friday). I can then transfer the contents of my freezer to hers as there is no chance we will eat our way through what's left this week. We are moving in with her for a few days before we go round the UK visiting friends and family before we leave, then we are back with her for the last week. We are staying at a Travel Inn at Cardiff Airport on the 13th May as our flight is early in the morning, so we will be saying our goodbyes to her there as they are driving us to Cardiff. I am sure that will be tearful as she is the only family I have left here. She is 18 years older than me and developed DVT whilst in Spain, and she fears that she will not be able to fly out to see us in Cyprus at all now. Her husband hates flying anyway so probably would not have come with her. That's why they spend every winter in Spain, but they drive down with their caravan.

Looking forward to catching up with you too Molly. Enjoy your trip to the UK - hope the weather improves :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:41 pm 
Star

Wow Tina what a busy time for you but so exciting. I really envy you but hopefuly we will be able to make the move in a few years time. We don't want to move until we can afford to not to have to work over there as like you I have had enough of the day to day toil of a high pressure office job.

Good luck with the last of your plans and enjoy seeing you friends and family. We fly out of 14th for 2 weeks so hopefully we might get to meet up

Take care and try to get some sleep :lol:

Julie x

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:35 pm 
Rock Star

Hi Julie,

I take it you mean the 14th May not April - if so I hope we can meet up too.

Another busy day today, but at least I have made my oven look like new again with the Oven Pride!!!! I am not using it for the rest of the week now. Long live the take-away :lol:

Onwards and upwards tomorrow. I expect to up early again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:22 pm 
Top of the pops

Great update tina and bet you are getting so excited now as days fly by.I was up in lft yesterday and thought OMG we have so much stuff.Maggie kept every toy that kirsten had and i commented that there will be so much stuff to get rid off.
Just think not long and it will all seem like memories when you are sitting in the sun and enjoying a glass of wine.Look forward to your next update.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:41 pm 
Rock Star

Well, another day and one month today until we fly.

Have unloaded our wardrode today (large walk in one) and it seems that all my wardrobe has gone into 2 suitacases (albeit large-ish ones).

Skip is nearly full and we only have it for 2 more days. Another take-away tonight as I am now feeling pysically drained. My retirement hasn't quite happened as I am still getting phone calls about work, even though I have officially stopped!!!! Good job I decided not to carry on for my one day a week, as I now know it would not have stopped at that.

Still ticking off the lists and they are definately getting shorter at last.

See you all even sooner now. 29 days left tomorrw :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:52 pm 
Master

Tina

I shall be in Peyia until June 18th so when you arrive please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with!!!

I am very keen to support you even if it is only to assist you finish the bottle of wine. Or you help me finish off mine.

:cheers :pint

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:00 am 
Rock Star

Chris, that is just the kind of support I will be able to handle. I can easily help you finish off a bottle :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:46 am 
Top of the pops

Ladies, I've never needed help to finish off a bottle :lol:
Good Luck Tina it must be manic but it won't be long for you now.
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:33 am 
Rock Star

The packing is moving along apace now. The kitchen has been started and there is no food in the house now :roll: The freezer is defrosted and we will be living on take-aways or eating out for the next 4 days. The skip goes today and it is overflowing. We have only been in ths house for 5 years and I didn't think it possible that we had accumulated a skip full of rubbish.

No packing will be done tomorrow as we are off the Shropshire with Daisy (the dog). She knows something very strange is happening as she follows us around all day looking very sorrowful. Tomorrow will be a bit of a wrench as we won't see her again for at least a month as she doesn't fly until 17th May, and then she goes to her foster home until our container arrives.

I will update and log off on Sunday before we lost the internet but will keep dipping in from friends' houses. Four more weeks and then I can say goodbye to this dreadful cold weather. Biting north winds at the moment here. Going to have a cupp now and then get back to the packing. Only been up since 5 today so I had a lay-in :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:34 am 
Hi Tina,

Sounds like its all going to plan, well just to let you know, the temp here is rising slowly, so come May it'll be just nice for house moving, not too hot :D :D

Well if I don't speak to you again before you sign off, have a safe journey & I'll see you when you finally land in Cyprus :celebrate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:28 am 
Rock Star

Thanks Pete. I can't wait to feel some heat on these old bones. The wind has shifted to the east now and it is blowing an arctic-like gale. Snowing in Yorkshire and more forecast for N. Wales today. You lucky lot over there.

See you soon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:24 pm 
Major

Wow Tina! I have just been re-reading your diary, and it's frightening! We have been in our house 17 years so the clutter is phenomenal, but as we are renting for a few months before we come out we can take things a bit slower. My goodness you have done a lot and apart from de-cluttering and some a bit we have done nothing towards actually moving as we don't like to tempt fate in case the chain collapses, hopefully exchange next week! Then it will be a mad panic :eek

Have you bought the one way tickets yet? I can't wait to do that, that and handing in my notice after 12 years hooray!

Best of luck, you are so organised I'm sure it will all go smoothly.

Cheers

milly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:32 am 
Rock Star

Yes Milly. We have the one-way flights. It is an historic moment I can tell you when you can say "I have a one way ticket to Cyprus". Giving up work is another fantastic feeling; well at least it is at the moment. I may feel differently about it later but I really do doubt it. 30 odd years of stress!!!! Enough for anyone I would say. I have to say this week is pretty stressful too, but at least it is all in a good cause and there is a definate end date!!!

Good luck with everything and hope to meet up with you soon. I know Herne Bay pretty well as we lived in North Kent for most of our lives.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:18 pm 
Top of the pops

Hi Tina
Congratulations on your one way tickets.I am sure you may feel slightly stressed from resigning but it is only security blanket as now it is different area you have not been in.Let us know how you get on and not long till you are in the sun.

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body