Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:25 am

UK TV Cyprus

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UK Threat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:10 pm 
Rock Star

Thought I would start this thread to keep you good people up to-date with the virus here in the UK, I know it is not about Cyprus but many of you have friends and family in the UK.

As at 17.10 UK time there are now 1372 confirmed cases and NOW 35 deaths, this morning they are talking about isolating everyone over the age of 70, these are troubling and worrying times.

Post subject: Re: UK Threat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:49 pm 
Top of the pops

Very worrying...but people are still not listening
I go onto the regional and national BBC pages and forums

And they are all up in arms at the thought of self isolation for the over 70,s

This is a move by the government to try and protect these elderly people
The people who are the most vulnerable ...but flipping heck...it was like world war 3 had kicked off from the answers and write ups

And here in lies the issue...we no longer in the uk have respect for anyone in authority
Everyone thinks now that they can make and do their own laws

Civil anarchy is always just around the corner on every issue

So the government is going to have it,s work cut out trying to reel all of these unruly people back in

Plus the vast majority of uk people ...still believe that this is a hoax ...and that it has all been blown up out of proportion by the media

They truly think that they all are only going to get a small dose of flu ...a few elderly will die...but that’s because they all had underlying conditions

They truly have not watched in detail what has been happening around the world and how serious this all is ...and how many are absolutely going to end up in hospital in ICU fighting for their lives

The virus is already mutating to include younger people now in Italy needing ICU care

So I have no idea how the government in the uk is going to go along and sort this out

And yes it is very worrying times

I hope that the prime minister in the uk ...can get across sooner rather than later the severity of what is happening and then start to sort it out

My husband and myself by the way ...self isolated out as soon as the virus hit Cyprus
It is such an easy way NOT to get the virus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:12 pm 
Rock Star

Migmogs I agree its like :banghead

Ireland's government has called for the closure of all pubs and bars in the country from this evening "until at least 29 March".

In a statement, it also called on members of the public to refrain from organising or going to parties "in private houses or other venues which would put other people's health at risk".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:41 am 
Rock Star

Looks like our May trip to Paphos will be cancelled.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:54 am 
Top of the pops

lowvoltage wrote:
Migmogs I agree its like :banghead

Ireland's government has called for the closure of all pubs and bars in the country from this evening "until at least 29 March".

In a statement, it also called on members of the public to refrain from organising or going to parties "in private houses or other venues which would put other people's health at risk".

Stay safe and stay well ...ignore what the uk government is not doing and self isolate as much as possible ...only going out for essentials

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:45 am 
Rock Star

Good morning folks, this mornings front page of the Telegraph, picture says it all - sorry about the quality of the photo..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:47 pm 
Rock Star

18.30 UK time - 1543 Infected and now 55 Dead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:20 pm 
Top of the pops

Numbers are jumping ...truly sad
And truly sad that his recommendations where given out to all of the uk
And only London

Isle f Man took some great steps to contain what is happening

Figures here also climbing 12 new confirmed on the weekend...13 more new last night

No fatalities thank goodness

Good news the first 2 to have been hospitalized last week...are now out and they have been put into isolation for a further 2 weeks
The other 6 in hospital ...all doing good

All of these only had mild symptoms

Take care and stay safe all

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:25 pm 
Rock Star

Hello again,
News from a war torn panicked UK, well no other cases reported today (as yet) but if you read the press then it could be 260,000 deaths if we do not get a grip, talk about frightening the public, time the media gave it a rest.

My mum is 89 in September and has reduced vision due to her age and has COPD, she listens to the news, last night I had to calm her down because she is concerned, do the press not realise what they are doing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:15 pm 
Top of the pops

lowvoltage wrote:
Hello again,
News from a war torn panicked UK, well no other cases reported today (as yet) but if you read the press then it could be 260,000 deaths if we do not get a grip, talk about frightening the public, time the media gave it a rest.

My mum is 89 in September and has reduced vision due to her age and has COPD, she listens to the news, last night I had to calm her down because she is concerned, do the press not realise what they are doing.

Sadly ...I don,t think that they are trying to frighten you on those figures

I think uk people now truly need to start to understand what is really happening

Stories now coming from Spain and Italy are HUGE much higher than expected numbers infected and ill

I am glad that we have locked down and isolated and distanced

Because WHO recons that it truly helps a lot

Though they are pushing that full testing , complete isolation of patients and quarantine of those who have come into contact with each one with the virus ...is still the best way to curtail the virus

I am also sad that your elderly mum is so frightened...may be no more news for now

These are quite scary times ...and the virus is escalating at speed ...

May you all stay safe and well ...isolate as much as you all can ...wear fitted face masks from DIY shops with disposable gloves on when out in the shops ....or better still ...if you can buy on line and have it all delivered to your door please do .

Take care and stay well

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:31 pm 
Rock Star

Morning all,

Today's news, some supermarkets are opening earlier for OAP,s and vulnerable people, this to help them shop in peace, the reason for this In some major cities they been pushed to one side or are struggling to get the products they need.
Some supermarket said they were disgusted at the way the elderly were being treated by younger shoppers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:21 pm 
Top of the pops

lowvoltage wrote:
Morning all,

Today's news, some supermarkets are opening earlier for OAP,s and vulnerable people, this to help them shop in peace, the reason for this In some major cities they been pushed to one side or are struggling to get the products they need.
Some supermarket said they were disgusted at the way the elderly were being treated by younger shoppers.

Thank you for your update low voltage and how disrespectful are some people behaving

Gone are the days when you would get on the bus , see and elderly person or a pregnant lady and immediately stand up and give them your seat...without being asked

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:24 pm 
Rock Star

Latest.

53,595 negative
2,626 positive

These are the latest UK figures, the total of deaths have not been announced - Going to be announced later!!!

Had to go out to collect my wife's prescription, the roads were very quite normally round trip is 20 minutes did it in 12 minutes.

Talking to the dispensary in the doctors, they say that most chemists and dispensary's in doctors are going to start delivering prescriptions to those over the age of 70, bit of help there.

Most schools are going to close this Friday.
Glastonbury off
Those that rent houses will not face eviction if they fall into arrears with their rent due to loss of income

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:44 pm 
Top of the pops

lowvoltage wrote:
Latest.

53,595 negative
2,626 positive

These are the latest UK figures, the total of deaths have not been announced - Going to be announced later!!!

Had to go out to collect my wife's prescription, the roads were very quite normally round trip is 20 minutes did it in 12 minutes.

Talking to the dispensary in the doctors, they say that most chemists and dispensary's in doctors are going to start delivering prescriptions to those over the age of 70, bit of help there.

Glastonbury off
Those that rent houses will not face eviction if they fall into arrears with their rent due to loss of income

There are thousands though that have not been tested at all...so that figures rubbish as well and misleading again from the PM

Great news on the chemists and schools

Stay safe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:45 pm 
Star

lowvoltage wrote:
Latest.

53,595 negative
2,626 positive

Glastonbury off

It comes as the Welsh Government said all schools will close for an early Easter break by Friday at the latest, just minutes before First Minister Nicola Sturgeon announced schools in Scotland will also close by the end of the week.

It comes after Boris Johnson told MPs during Prime Minister’s Questions that further decisions on schools are “to be taken imminently”.

Education Secretary Gavin Williamson will update MPs at the same time as Boris Johnson gives his daily press conference at 5pm, when a decision is expected to be announced.

The Government has so far resisted calls to close schools due to the fact NHS workers are among those who may need to stay home and look after their children.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:43 pm 
Rock Star

Schools to close from Friday for an indefinite period.

NOW 104 have died (very sad)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:46 pm 
Rock Star

Just watched part of the PM,s briefing - looks a bit haggard, old saying be careful for what you wish for, this will either make him or break him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:53 pm 
Top of the pops

If the greedy and the speculators don't stop stripping the shops of all the necessities then the Government will have no choice but to bring in the Army.
We are appalled by the total lack of respect shown by the majority to any requests to follow a few simple and sensible suggestions to help stem the flow of this virus or consider anybody other than their selfish selves.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:50 pm 
Rock Star

Hello again, news from the UK.

20,000 Troops placed on standby to assist with the Corona virus, the role they have has yet to be decided, if my experiences when I served it will to support the 3 services Police-Fire-Ambulance and more as the situation evolves.

BREAKING NEWS 14.45 UK time - Bank of England as reduced the interest rates from 0.25 - to 0.1%

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:03 pm 
Top of the pops

All a bit scary
But glad uk getting things sorted

Troops etc

Here things racking up also

Only essential movements by all now
And all drs and nurses are to be called to the health ministers direction this Friday

Stay safe and take care all

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:36 pm 
Rock Star

One of my friends sent me this, and I am shocked but not surprised, all very well and good saying be kind and do not be selfish, when people are frightened natural instinct of self preservation takes hold, we go back to out primeval days and its me not you.

The only way to stop hoarding as my mum says (89 this year, born in 1931 and remembers rationing) is to ration food, you never know it may well come to that, anyway look at the photos at what is going on in the UK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:39 pm 
Top of the pops

Shocking pictures and so opposite here

And your lovely mum is correct...ration what folks can have

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:52 pm 

Phillipos this morning
Attachment:
89925826_10222106739121924_3092114979805986816_o.jpg

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:02 pm 
Rock Star

OK don't rub it in,no serious, over there you have a different mind set which some morons could do with adopting.

Tonight's figures 3269 Tested positive and 144 HAVE DIED.

PM says we can over come it in 12 weeks if we all do as we are told, what is he smoking or snorting because on the news tonight they were interviewing people who were out and about, they were asked are you not worried NO was the answer, do you think you are being irresponsible NO was the answer.

Even the Italians are warning us about our approach and attitude. :banghead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:16 pm 
Rock Star

Well I think this just sums up the mentality of my country, I cannot say anything else this had my wife in tears. :rain

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-51966337

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:53 pm 
Top of the pops

lowvoltage wrote:
Well I think this just sums up the mentality of my country, I cannot say anything else this had my wife in tears. :rain

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-51966337

Yes this also had me in tears when I saw it on the BBC FB news

To say that I gave out a tirade to the selfish morons who only care for themselves is an understatement ...there is absolutely no need for any of this panic buying..they are causing shortages...governments have promised that food will continue to get through to the shops

Today I quietly went suited and booted I may add, wearing my fitted face mask and latex gloves ...it is a protection to others from me as well as a protection from them to me

But I digress ...I went first into the chemist in Peyia Christiana ...everything so calm ,safe and civilized we told jokes, smiled and laughed...Next I went to the veg shop Seils for some fresh vegetables, again all safe , calm and orderly

The difference here from the media pictures from the uk ...is amazing

I did though lol still wear my lippy underneath my mask lol hahahahaha some habits really do die hard hahaha :smilielol

Stay safe all
We are one more day nearer to all of this being behind us all!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:37 pm 

Attachment:
90054965_1461476417366634_978832899413377024_o.jpg

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:59 pm 
Top of the pops

:lol: :smilielol :lol: :smilielol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:34 am 
Rock Star

Quote:
Good morning folks, this mornings front page of the Telegraph, picture says it all - sorry about the quality of the photo..

Lowvoltage,

Spot on!

Unsurprisingly the demographic dipicted reflects the 'new' Brits in action - the old values are long gone from the 'sceptred isle'.
Elsewhere in the world the phrase used is 'looting' to describe this endemic behavioral trait, but in this case I would assume the goods were in fact paid for?
The result is however, essentially the same - empty shelves!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:46 pm 
Rock Star

17.35 UK TIME The number of deaths across the UK due to coronavirus rose to 233 with over 4000 confirmed cases.

People here are not taking this seriously

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 pm 
Rock Star

Not posted on this topic for a while, still getting over the shock of some idiots who think this is a massive hoax, they are the ones who still think the moon is made out of cheese and the earth is flat.

422 deaths and counting

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:50 pm 
Rock Star

Hi All,
We are getting a lot of mixed messages that has now started to really stress people out, depending on what you read the UK death figures are anything from 414 - 435. why does the government allow fake news, it is really getting folk wound up.

There is a lot of people trying to make money out of this crisis I have seen goods in the shops getting dearer, but the worst in my opinion are the construction companies who are only looking at their profit margins not the welfare of its workers.

The Government who said they had stock piles of PPE for the NHS has now come clean and revised their statement, they are now negotiating with companies to buy bulk, mind boggles.

Now they have gone back on their word about us getting test kits, now it is going to be a least another 10 days.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:43 am 
Top of the pops

Sadly on your last point low voltage
There are huge demands for all kinds of life saving equipment globally

The uk like all the rest of us...Cyprus included...we are all still awaiting life saving stuff globally
For both the patients and the blessed nurses and drs fighting this terrible disease

please all stay home!

Our NHS around the world...need us all to stay at home to try and save as many lives as they possibly can!

Last edited by migmogs on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:21 pm 
Rock Star

At last the correct figures, 9500 plus cases and 465 deaths - the way things are going I would not be surprised if we hit 1000.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 pm 
Top of the pops

Hello everyone.
I am now an endangered species so have to be incarcerated for 12 weeks.
I may come on for a bit of a rant or even just to have a chat!
So far I have emptied my fridge freezer, cleaned it and filled it up with what is available.( my hunter gatherer has had to brave the hordes and fetch home the dinosaur and would you believe it? 6 toilet rolls!!!!!)
Have emptied food cupboard ( found jam from Paphiakos dated 2014)cleaned and re stocked with what was available.
Am leaving the wardrobe for another day when boredom sets in.
Luckily I am allowed out into the garden and as I can see the sea from it I will survive.
Hope you all stay safe and that this virus buggers off as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:14 pm 

I was shown this from a friend in England from his local shop......remember them, the ones who wanted you to support them and not go to the big supermarkets that were putting their livelihood at stake a few months ago .... he reported them to Trading standards
Attachment:
Paki.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 pm 
Rock Star

Dave, like I said in one of my previous posts there are some people making a lot of money over here on the backs of those who are scarred, one thing will come out of this when it is all over, people like that will suddenly want to know where their customers are.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:48 pm 
Rock Star

FIGURES JUST ANNOUNCED 18.45 UK TIME - 578

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body