Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:23 pm 
Top of the pops

I know we can use our GB driving licence in Cyprus under EU rules but would just like to know if there is a time limit if you come to live permanently? If we need to get Cypriot licences would it be a straight swap and if so what costs?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:44 pm 
Rock Star

Hi Beverly. You can use your UK license until it expires. Shortly before the expiry date (earlier if you want) you need to exchange it for a Cypriot one. I am not sure of the cost and it varies with age.
If you are near the time for an exchange I would go to one of the Citizen service centers.

From the DVLA website.....

You can change the address on your current British driving licence online if you:

•have your driving licence in your possession (both parts if it’s a photocard licence)
are a resident of Great Britain•are currently not prevented from driving for any reason
•have a valid UK passport or another form of identity
can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years

Trev..

Last edited by trevnhil on Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:33 pm 
Top of the pops

Are you sure you have to exchange it at expiry time? That may be the legal requirement, but I think it may be unenforceable. I say that because UK licences have to have a UK address on them, so many of us changed ours to show a relatives address when we moved over here. When mine expires I intend to reapply in the UK, and my relative will forward on my new licence when it arrives at their address. The DVLA won't know any different and neither will the Cypriot authorities.

Am I right, or am I missing something?

N.B. Remember, the Cypriot authorities can't put points on a UK licence.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:39 pm 
Rock Star

What you say about using an address other than your own is of course illegal.

I cannot see why you would want to lie about where you live. Why not just get a license for the country you live in with your correct address.

From the DVLA website...

You can change the address on your current British driving licence online if you:

•have your driving licence in your possession (both parts if it’s a photocard licence)
are a resident of Great Britain•are currently not prevented from driving for any reason
•have a valid UK passport or another form of identity
can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years

Trev..

Last edited by trevnhil on Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:10 pm 
Star

:greetings Get yourself a cyprus licence and keep everything squeeky clean for your insurance payout if ever needed.I am reliably informed from a guy i cant name but he is quite high in the pecking order for a very good insurance co.That they are checking every angle not to payout these days you may be the one that gets caught out you may not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:01 pm 
Top of the pops

Many thanks for your replies and various suggestions.We will use our GB licenses until they expire and will then get Cypriot ones.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:26 pm 

Josef K wrote:
Are you sure you have to exchange it at expiry time? That may be the legal requirement, but I think it may be unenforceable. I say that because UK licences have to have a UK address on them, so many of us changed ours to show a relatives address when we moved over here. When mine expires I intend to reapply in the UK, and my relative will forward on my new licence when it arrives at their address. The DVLA won't know any different and neither will the Cypriot authorities.Am I right, or am I missing something?

N.B. Remember, the Cypriot authorities can't put points on a UK licence.

They will now if monitoring the forum :lol:

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:35 pm 
Top of the pops

beverley wrote:
I know we can use our GB driving licence in Cyprus under EU rules but would just like to know if there is a time limit if you come to live permanently? If we need to get Cypriot licences would it be a straight swap and if so what costs?

Hi Beverley, Plenty of 'info' on this site :-

http://www.cyprusdriving.net/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:56 pm 
Rock Star

There can be a problem if you keep your UK licence, live in Cyprus and do not have a permanent address in the UK.
If you need to hire a car in the UK part of the terms and conditions that you sign when you pick up the car is that your address is as stated on your licence. In fact many hirers actually ask the question. "Is this your current address"
I fell foul of this with EuropCar a couple of years ago.
You can also get into bother if you drive on a UK licence in NON EU countries with a licence that does not show your current address.
It is legal to drive throughout the EU but is Illegal to do so in many other countries. If your licence does not show your current address it is classed as invalid.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:34 am 
Junior

Dear Beverley,

My appologies for the delay in replying to your post.

You do not need to change your GB license, you can keep it until it expires. One or two months before it expires you can go to the license office here in Cyprus to get a Cyprus driving license.

Regards

Haris Kalogirou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:48 pm 
Top of the pops

Haris Kalogirou wrote:
Dear Beverley,

My appologies for the delay in replying to your post.

You do not need to change your GB license, you can keep it until it expires. One or two months before it expires you can go to the license office here in Cyprus to get a Cyprus driving license.

Regards

Haris Kalogirou

Thankyou for your reply Haris as it is good to get it from the legal perspective .

Again thanks to all who took the trouble to reply.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body