The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:12 am

Watch Live Sport-channels Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Derby Countdown
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:48 pm 
Top of the pops

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/CustomPag ... onid=14482

Had to laugh at this. What's it gonna be like as the match gets nearer ?
Mental !
Gary

Post subject: Re: Derby Countdown
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:08 pm 
Hi Gary,

It'll be a massive game for us both as it will secure either of our futures in the Premiership imo :D

But you know you won't win, so it must be agony for you, I bet you can't wait for it to be over :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:40 am 
Web-Site Admin

Tyne-Wear derby all-time record:

Played: 138
Toon wins: 50
mackem wins: 43
Draws: 45
Toon goals: 208
mackem goals: 205

Clear dominance for the black and whites then....

No mackem wins in 8 years, and they've only won 2 of the last 17. They've also never beaten a Kevin Keegan Newcastle team.

Was a bit nervous about this one a while back, but Keegan will get us fired up for this like no-one's business and I think ultimately our superior quality will tell. 3-1 toon win. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:56 am 
Top of the pops

We've been here before and I'm not getting into an argument again. Those figures are inaccurate according to my source.Newcastle won 50,Sunderland won 45, 44 drawn, Mags scored 208,Mackems scored 207.The source is Haway/Howay The Lads history of the rivalry between Newcastle and Sunderland by Alan Candlish.
Yes you come out on top, but only just.
I prefer to look forward not back but if I must I'll just mention 1-9.Yes you lost 1-9 at home to us. Still a record.Don't come on harping about how long ago it was, you started looking backwards.
As for this match, I admire your optimism. I must admit I have wondered how we will shackle 3 forwards but I'm sure Roy will have the answer then you have to wonder how you will shackle Kenwyne Jones, not to mention Andy Reid,Carlos Edwards and Kieron Richardson bursting forward and generally playing you off the park.
We won't lose and Chopra may score, ha ha
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:26 pm 
Bit early for you Gary but have you been on the sauce agaiin :lol: :lol:

You should know by now, we don't have to shackle any of your team, we just beat you into submission by scoring more goals, thats the KK Toon way, score more than your concede, that way you win :lol: :lol:

Not that Taylor, Faye, Beye & Enrique plus Butt, Barton & Geremi will have any problems while Martins, Owen & Viduka rip apart your defence like they did to the Spurts multi-million defence last week :smilielol :smilielol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:21 pm 
Top of the pops

The KK Toon way eh ?
Is that why you've won 2 of your last 11 games ?
Ha Ha Ha
Gary :wink:
And no I haven't been on the sauce as you put it, I only drink on a weekend !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:20 pm 
Web-Site Admin

discopants wrote:
As for this match, I admire your optimism. I must admit I have wondered how we will shackle 3 forwards but I'm sure Roy will have the answer then you have to wonder how you will shackle Kenwyne Jones, not to mention Andy Reid,Carlos Edwards and Kieron Richardson bursting forward and generally playing you off the park.
We won't lose and Chopra may score, ha ha
Gary

Shackling that lot doesn't seem to have been a problem for most teams this season - how many league goals do they have between them??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:51 pm 
Top of the pops

Martin
Three of them have not been fit but now are.
You have been warned.
Gary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:20 am 
discopants wrote:
The KK Toon way eh ?
Is that why you've won 2 of your last 11 games ?
Ha Ha Ha
And no I haven't been on the sauce as you put it, I only drink on a weekend !

Gary,

We may have only won 2 from the last 11 matches but if you'd played the same 11 matches, then you'd still be 0 for 11 :lol: :lol:

I quite like that saying Doing things the 'KK Toon way' might add it to my signature :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:31 pm 
Top of the pops

We'd have won 0 from 11, pure codswallop.
We've just beat Villa and West Ham !!
Your lot beat Fulham who have not won away all season :oops: and Spurs who have had their suitcases packed since they won the cup !!
I'll give you this much.......... you are consistent Pete. Two wins and you're the greatest team in the world. :lol: :lol:
Gary :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:53 pm 
I told you mate, its the faith I have in my team :D :D

So what you're saying is, you could beat Arsenal 2 times, Man Usa 2 also :? :? Cause you see, that who we played in those 11 games when KK took over :D :D

So we actually: W3 D3 L7

Our last 5 being: L L D W W

Look familiar mate :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:04 pm 
Top of the pops

Eh ?????????
Me thinks you have selective memory loss.
Have you been on the waccy baccy ?
Gary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:35 pm 
Top of the pops

Watch Out !
Our away form is scintillating !!!!!!!!
Unbeaten in two !
We'll turn you over at Sid James Park, it'll be a right Carry On !
Haway Me Bonnie Lads !!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:49 pm 
Are you sure about that one Gary..... Last 3 games played, 9 Goals Scored, 1 Goal Conceded :shock: :shock:

We're on fire at present, home & away, so best you start building that brick wall across your goal line, you're gonna need it :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:52 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Both hitting form, and with the relegation pressure off we should see a good open game - Keegan will go for the jugular for certain - reckon your defence can cope with our attacking triumvirate??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:28 pm 
Top of the pops

Martin,
To be perfectly honest, I don't know. Your strikers do look in form as is our defence. Anything can happen on Derby day, absolutely anything.
Look at the game at our place, we played you off the park yet you got a fluke goal and drew.
That felt like a defeat as we left the ground I tell you.
I'm not gonna come on and say we'll do this or we'll do that, I'll just leave it as anything can happen. If our players don't bottle it, we'll give you a game.
Gary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:52 pm 
Web-Site Admin

The game at your place summed up why Sam Allardyce was doomed to failure at Newcastle - he was far too pre-occupied with stopping the opposition playing rather than imposing our game on them. We even went to Derby and played for a 0-0 draw for pity's sake, and as a result remain the only team they've beaten all season! :tickedoff

At least we can enjoy the derby to a certain extent - if the relegation spots were still looming I would have been in a panic all week beforehand....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:37 am 
Top of the pops

I know it's not football but thought I'd mention there could be some trouble this year. It seems a lot of Sunderland fans are not keen on going on the pre arranged buses that have been used over the past years. There are hundreds of them planning to drink in Sunderland then get the metro over to Sid James.
If I know about it so will the Newcastle fans. There again so will the Police !
Hope I'm wrong and we're talking about footy after the match.
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:07 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Are you going Gary? Keep away from Central Station if you are - there's always bother there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:24 pm 
Top of the pops

No we are not going. Haven't been for years. It's very hard to get a ticket to be honest. Our Tony is going into Sunderland to watch it on a big screen with a load of his mates. They don't all follow Sunderland but they're going anyway cos they think there'll be loads of totty out and about ! and the atmosphere should be good.
He's asked me to go along but I don't think I will. Mrs DP goes to the pub with her mates on a Sunday so I'll probably watch it at home in peace and If we win join them in the pub after( the place she goes to doesn't have sky!)
I'll worry bout Tony and his mates though cos they'll end up on a train full of you lot coming home !
Fingers crossed !
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Say since 1970 name players who have played for both Sunderland and Newcastle. Don't refer to any sources. Just think about it for 5 minutes only and let me know how many you came up with.
I thought of 9.
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:45 pm 
Web-Site Admin

discopants wrote:
Say since 1970 name players who have played for both Sunderland and Newcastle. Don't refer to any sources. Just think about it for 5 minutes only and let me know how many you came up with.
I thought of 9.
Gary

I've got 9 too, but all from the 80's onwards - you're a bit older than me, so have an unfair advantage! :D

2 keepers, 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and 3 strikers so far.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:02 pm 
That's unfair, as I've never bothered who played for the Makems until you came on the board Gary :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:37 pm 
Top of the pops

Well it doesn't matter who gets the most lads it was just a friendly derby sort of thing.
By the way I didn't get any goalies but have got one now.
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:47 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Ok then, I got:

Shay Given
Lionel Perez (only played in friendlies for us, but I'm still having him! :wink: )
Barry Venison
Steve Caldwell
Paul Bracewell
Lee Clark
Andy Cole
Michael Chopra
David Kelly

Who am I missing??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:57 pm 
Top of the pops

Well I got Lee Clark, Jeff Clarke,David Kelly,Paul Bracewell,Pop Robson,David Young,Barry Venison,Ron Guthrie,Michael Chopra and Perez after your hint.Forgot about Caldwell and Cole.
Gary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:49 pm 
Top of the pops

This will be music to the ears of some but I have to say that Sunderland's performance against Man Citeh was absolute rubbish.
Citeh didn't turn up and we still lost. Citeh stayed in second gear throughout the game and still won. I know that penalty was a shocking decision but it was our performance which ruined the day for me( and remember I was with Citeh fans)
Quite simply, if we play like that at Sid James we won't just lose....... we will get walloped.
Keane has said we were so poor he could have substituted 8 players at half time so why didn't he do something about it ?
A class goal from the Captain, but apart from that they were inept all over the park.
I'm gutted.
Gary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:20 pm 
I actually missed the goals as I was traveling down to the G&D to watch the TOON :o

When I left the house, it was still 0-0, then 20 mins later, arrive at the pub to find you'd lost 2-1 :shock: :shock:

I'm glad the Smoggies drew with the Spurts tho but I was hoping we'd have beaten Pompey to drew equal on points with the Spurts & we should have won that game easily, Owen should have headered that ball past James instead of try to lob him from 2 yds, what a muppet :roll:

Never mind, you have a few hard games ahead, starting with us at SJP :lol: watch out for a walloping mate :celebrate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:21 pm 
Top of the pops

To be honest I'd settle for a draw. Didn't you and Martin say the same thing before you played us in November ?
I think I'm right in saying that all the North East Derbies this season have been drawn.
I'd settle for that right now. A draw against the Skunksters and then a draw against the Smoggies will keep us up and no one would have bragging rights.( and anyway you know you want to keep us up!)
Sending off our vouchers tomorrow to see if we can get tickets for the match at Bolton. Not hopeful.
We've got a party sorted for after the last match v A rsenal hope it's not a wake ! :cry:
Your Mackem Mate Gary 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:34 pm 
Web-Site Admin

I wouldn't be too gutted with a draw, as long as we play well, but KK will certainly have us going for the win.

One thing I noticed watching your game on Saturday is there seems to be a bit of a lack of leadership on the field, think this might be improtant on the day if things start to go wrong....

Will Royston send them out to kick lumps out of us do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:08 pm 
Top of the pops

No, we're not that sort of team. Don't think they could be dirty if they tried.
Gary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:00 pm 
Junior

Well KK has named his team already , so it looks like he is playing mindgames..........I certainly hope so we remember how good he is at them

:celeb2 :celeb2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:03 pm 
Top of the pops

We might as well not bother turning up according to the Mags. Not only are we gonna lose but we are gonna lose by 7 or 8 goals according to some on nufc-forum.com.
4-0 seems to be conservative.
Deluded ????..... I certainly hope so.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:31 pm 
Web-Site Admin

JTS wrote:
Well KK has named his team already , so it looks like he is playing mindgames..........I certainly hope so we remember how good he is at them

:celeb2 :celeb2

It's a breath fo fresh air from KK - he's always been of a mind to let the oppostion worry about us, the complete opposite to Allardyce who sent us out at your place with the most negative tactics imagineable! :(

Some decent pre-match talk from the chaps at nufc.com:

Quote:
mackems (h)

Kevin Keegan will look to extend his side's unbeaten run to six games when Royston Keane brings his Labrador-lover's XI to civilisation on Sunday at 1.30pm.

The 139th Tyne-wear derby is live on Sky Sports

A victory for common sense would see us register our 51st success, while a stalemate would be the 46th such result.

43 travesties of justice have taken place so far, while we've bulged their net 208 times and been the victim of atrocious refereeing decisions etc. on 205 occasions.

Since we lost at SJP in November 2000, we've won five and drawn the other three of these fixtures.

And for the Newcastle boss it's a chance to extend his 100% record against the old enemy to five games, having steered his side to four previous victories as follows:

29.03.92 won 1-0 (h)
18.10.92 won 2-1 (a)
25.04.93 won 1-0 (h)
04.09.96 won 2-1 (a)

NUFC: To follow...news is awaited on the progress towards fitness of Given, Carr, Milner and Emre - although early indications are that we'll be unchanged.

safc: assorted gypsies, tramps and thieves may or may not be available to feature in this one.

One stat will doubtless be aired in the run up to the game is that Michael Chopra goes looking for his first-ever senior goal at St.James' Park.

The former Magpie registered in the Premier League, FA Cup and Intertoto for us, but all away from home.

However, the old boy did find the SJP net at reserve level.

Looking at KK's previous record, 1-0 would seem a reasonable bet!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:11 pm 
discopants wrote:
We might as well not bother turning up according to the Mags. Not only are we gonna lose but we are gonna lose by 7 or 8 goals according to some on nufc-forum.com.
4-0 seems to be conservative.
Deluded ????..... I certainly hope so.

The Toon fans maybe deluded as you keep saying but from your post, you don't sound very confidant either :lol:

Why is that if you think you're a better team :? :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:27 pm 
Top of the pops

Why do I not seem confident ?
I am a realist that's why. I watched a performance at the weekend that was woeful, in my opinion shocking. Your club have picked up recent impetus and the three pronged strikeforce may well cause us some problems.If we play at your place like we did last Satday we will lose.
I will be interested to see how Keano intends to deal with it.He might decide to play three centre backs by adding McShane who has been out of the picture a while and can be a liability as well as a bit of a loonie. I'd like to see Liam Miller recalled to add a bit of steel in there. Will Keane swallow his pride ?
As I've said anything can happen on Derby day but surely not 7 or 8 nils. It seems to me only half wits who support your club would have the arrogance or ignorance to suggest that.
We need a draw in my opinion, to keep us safe. I hope we get it at your place so I'm going for 2-2.
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:44 am 
Top of the pops

Milner is back in contention for Newcastle.
Chopra will score for Sunderland.
That's all.
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:56 am 
Web-Site Admin

discopants wrote:

I'll be having a few quid on that - help dull the pain when the inevitable happens!

My prediction for first toon scorer is Joey Barton - he's been getting closer in recent weeks and I know it will sicken you lot if he does it here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:08 pm 
Top of the pops

It'll sicken me whoever scores for you never mind that thug Barton.
Lord Gary Rowell states Chopra will score so who are we to argue ?
I bet young Chopra is a bag of nerves don't you?
What must he be feeling? Will he get a bad reception ?
Gary
A bit off topic but thought I'd let you know that on the landing in our house, just outside our bedroom door we have two tastily framed pictures of footballers who have scored priceless goals. They are both autographed.
Strangely enough both pictures are of players at Sid James Park !
One is of Lord Gary Rowell, scoring in his hat trick in 1979, the other is Marco Gabbiadini scoring in the play off final in 1990.
Will I be adding anyone to the wall of fame next week?
Gary :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:09 pm 
Captain Fantastic wrote:
discopants wrote:

I'll be having a few quid on that - help dull the pain when the inevitable happens!!

Whats this suppose to mean :? Are you thinking the makems will beat us :? :? Where's your faith man :shock:

You're ths stats guy, when was the last time the makems beat us at SJP :? :? 00/01 season yeah :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:42 pm 
Top of the pops

Just been told that our star defender Jonny Evans did his hamstring in taining today.
If that's true, we could have problems.
Gary :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Can not confirm the news about Evans as Keane is insisting all training is done in private for the rest of the week.
The paper has said that the Mags are offering Owen a new deal on £120,000 a week and Martins £90,000 a week !!!!!!
Our captain Dean Whitehead who is on £22,000 a week is saying the hostile atmosphere will not get to the players and he has reminded them that we deserved to win at our place last November and we deserved to win the last time we played at Sid James when Lawrence and Elliott scored two screamers and we hit the bar in a 3-2 defeat.
Lucky Newcastle.
Gary 8)
Anyway, where's the oracle ? If he's on the bog now, Lord help him, and he won't !
Haway Haway Haway !!!!!!!
Gary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:34 am 
Top of the pops

I have updated my last post several times, so while it appears that I haven't been bothered since about 5 pm on Thursday in fact I bloody well have been !!!!!!
What's it with you Mags ??????
Have you got nowt to say ??????
Passion ? You Bet.
Our family are all MACKEMS and We are all Proud !!!!
Haway The Lads!!!!
:heart By the way I am noticing something here... hello :heart
Gary 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:21 am 
:there What's the matter Gary, no one talking to you :there

Yes it almost Sunday, just 2 days to go before your trip to the TOON, where you'll go away all :cry: & in a :huff after we beat you yet again :lol:

It's good to see you all support the same team, is that because you want too or is a forced religion :celebrate The reason I'm asking is because my youngest supports the TOON, not because he lives anywhere near them but because I do, so I think he feels he should also, which I don't mind but I wouldn't force him to support them tho :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:24 am 
Junior

Looks like the mags are hiding.........or are they trying to get registered as a druggie for a free ticket...........big club .....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:15 am 
Oooohhhh..... do we have a closet makem here JTS :? :? :lol:

We're not hiding as you put it, we just like watching DP chunter to himself :smilielol

Martin has family over, so is rather busy keeping the Geordies happy & I'm rather busy also making sure the forum is running smoothly as well as my shop but I try to reply when I have something to say but has DP seems happy talking to himself, I'll let him get on with it :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:20 am 
Web-Site Admin

Don't worry chaps I'm still here, just doing my Keegan bit, keeping quiet and letting you lot worry about us - we're confident that if we play to our potential there'll be only one winner!

Gary, looks like the Evans injury isn't too bad - not too worried either way as I actually think an inexperienced player like him will have more problems dealing with someone like Viduka than a more seasoned old pro might.

And Pete, of course I wasn't predicting defeat, just that Chopra will socre as it's almost inevitable. Probably be just a consolation in a 4-1 toon win though! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:28 am 
Well thats good to hear, I was getting a little worried then :lol:

As for Chops, imo I don't think he will, I think he'll bottle it in front of goal like he has done before, the crowd will overwhelm him, even tho he should be use to them :D plus I think his heart is still ours, so he won't score because of that :lol:

I never trust players who are playing against their old team as they never seem to play well, I mean look at Butt against ManU & Owen against the POOL, they never do owt, so Chops will be the same against us :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:30 am 
Junior

hutch ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:37 am 
JTS wrote:
hutch ?

Is this your name or your team :lol:

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body