It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:50 am

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:40 am 

Doctors and nurses at state hospitals have decided to go on a two-hour work stoppage next week, in a bid to exert pressure for having certain collective agreements renewed.

Unions SEK, PEO, Deok, Pasydy, Pasyki and Pasyno announced that the ‘warning strike’ would take place from 8.30am to 10.30am on Tuesday, January 17.

In a joint statement, the unions said they were taking the action because the state health services organisation (Okypy) had not kept up its obligations in drawing up a new collective agreement for staff.

The matter concerns renewing the collective agreement for staff hired on personal contracts that were set to expire at the end of December 2022.

The syndicates said they had earlier given fair warning to Okypy that the matter should have been resolved within November. Okypy had failed to take any action.

“The organisation [Okypy] had been warned not to drag its feet on such a serious matter impacting a large number of workers,” the statement read.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:31 am 
Top of the pops

Good for them, a set of balls. Its the only public body I WOULD permit to take action.

Currently it is under funded, under manned and poorly equipped.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:33 am 

‘Elderly patient sent from hospital to care home in only a sheet’

Additional complaints regarding elder neglect by hospital staff have been brought to light by the care-home owners association on Friday including the case of woman discharged without her clothes.

A day after patients’ association reported elder abuse, a nursing home resident, who was hospitalised with coronavirus for ten days, was sent back to the facility where she was staying without her clothes.

According to the statements of the care-home owners association head Loukia Gregoriou the patient was sent back on Wednesday night with an ambulance only wearing an adult diaper and covered with a bedsheet.

The temperature was 8C, Gregoriou said, adding that when they saw the state in which the patient was brought back they called the hospital.

After speaking with a nurse at the ward where the woman was treated, it was confirmed that she was not dressed in her clothes when she left. The hospital then sent her clothes back as well, which were dirty with blood stains.

“This incident is unfortunately not the only one,” the association’s head said.

In another case, Gregoriou added, the hospital lost the dentures of another nursing home resident.

The new complaints come three days after patient organisations expressed outrage over allegations that an elderly person was found tied to their hospital bed using bedsheets.

Demanding the state health services (Okypy) investigate the matter, they also said there were damning complaints of lax Covid-19 measures, leading to elderly people contracting the virus.

Head of the patients association Osak Marios Kouloumas demanded Okypy investigate the allegations immediately, stressing it was not the first time they had heard of people being tied to their bed.

According to the relative who filed the complaint, the patient was tied to the bed because they were anxious, however Osak said such a decision should require psychiatric evaluation.

There have also been allegations that elderly people, who are a vulnerable group, are left in hospital wards next to other patients and relatives visit freely, crowding the ward with no-one wearing any masks.

As a consequence, a number of elderly people have contracted Covid.

According to Osak, a number of complaints have been filed to Okypy and it is high time the organisation modernises itself, Kouloumas added.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body