It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:54 am

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:25 pm 

Flu activity was very high across the island in the last week and continues to increase, data from the health ministry showed on Saturday.

The rate of seasonal influenza was 50 per cent in the past seven days, health ministry advisor Dr Maria Koliou told the Cyprus News Agency.

According to the assistant professor of paediatrics – infectious diseases at the University of Cyprus medical school, cases of seasonal influenza are constantly increasing and a further upward trend is expected on the island in the coming period.

She explained that of the 100 cases suspected of being influenza and for which samples are sent for testing, “half are influenza”.

Flu this year in Cyprus came earlier than in the past, Koliou said, adding that it made its appearance in mid-December. It usually appears in the last week of the month or the first week of January.

For two years, when everything was closed due to the pandemic, not a single case had been recorded, the doctor said.

However, Dr Koliou said that this year when everything was opened the flu “came back with a vengeance”, as it did in all countries.

“It’s quite intense. We know that last week the flu activity was at 50 per cent. That means that of the 100 cases that are suspected to be influenza and for which we are sending samples, half of them are influenza,” she said.

Responding to a question, Dr Koliou said that the peak of the flu curve in Cyprus, which reaches 90 per cent, is recorded at the beginning of February and she expects that there will be a further increase in activity until then.

She added that the rates of influenza hospitalisations have increased compared to other diseases.

Earlier this week, state health services organisation said the pulmonology and related wards at public hospitals are under immense strain due to the influx of admissions citing the ongoing outbreak of respiratory illnesses, spearheaded by influenza A.

Referring to the possibility of a combination of Covid-19 and influenza viruses, Koliou said that “potentially a more severe disease could be caused”. The doctor urged all vulnerable groups to be vaccinated to prevent the coexistence of the two viruses as much as possible.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:35 pm 
Rock Star

Even though there were no flu cases RECORDED for 2 years im sure there was plenty of flu about but it was misdiagnosed as some thing else ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:29 am 
Top of the pops

Indeed mouse that is the case and also now so many people have Immune systems that have been compromised it will probably affect them worse than before.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:25 pm 
Rock Star

Tanny without crossing the Ts and dotting the Is i can see we really are on the same page ! I aviod " pharma " in both my food and medication , well as far as practical ! And use herbal remidies so hopeful my immune system strong and healthy. Too many people are taking far too much unnecessary medication and eating too much pre-prepared chemically enriched food and then act all surprised when they are sick ! Still thats my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:59 pm 
Top of the pops

Know lots down with flu this year
Also notice no one cleaning their hands in and out of supermarkets
Coughs and sneezes spread diseases ...was always the saying

Glad to say that we have had our seasonal flu jabs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:45 pm 
Master

I prefer to use natural remedies and old fashioned methods that work ie keeping warm, eating nutritional meals and opening the doors/windows every morning to ventilate the house. Far too much reliance on pharmaceuticals - it is better to build up the body's natural resistance.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body