The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Freedom Of Speech
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:38 pm 
Rock Star

Freedom of speech or censorship that is the question.

The recent case with Sir Cliff Richard highlights the fine line between public interest or privacy, where do you draw the line when the media splashes your name all over the papers guilty by media, careers ruined by the media.

Today the media are crying foul, bleating on about the rights of being able to trash someone's career in the name of news, tosh they are evil and self centred and no care about the people who they ruin, careers destroyed overnight and as one victim said he has never recovered from it and never worked since.

If Sir Cliff had been arrested and tried then OK report the news and if guilty nail him to the wall, but he was not do the media care no they do not, now they are thinking of appealing hell will they never learn, it is my license fee that is paying for this.

Post subject: Re: Freedom Of Speech
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:54 pm 
Top of the pops

Media and news is all about sensationalism, getting people to read and tune in , it is noth8ng about facts
Always remember the financial crash here in Cyprus
The news was reporting violence, hand bags being snatched in Coral Bay, demonstrations, not being able to get money out of the banks etc etc
My children rang us up worried to death that we where 8n trouble and that we needed financial help!!! We needed nothing...people where queueing up in quiet orderly fashion outside of banks to get money, there was no violence or bag snatching, the only demonstration happened in Nicosia with @ 60 bank staff and they where quiet, we where able to access our uk accounts daily for money!
It was an absolute overkill and sensationalized for ratings and nothing else

Should Sir Cliffs name have been given out? No!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:28 pm 
Star

Scandal,bad news,sensationalism,its what sells news papers and other news outlets.But think about it its what we want to read about.
I remember many years ago when I spent some time in the US,a well known local journalist left the newspaper he was working for and started up his own paper.He thought he would make a killing by only printing GOOD news and HAPPY stories..It closed down within a year.
Supply and demand i,m afraid.as long as we want to pay to read this sad news then someone will sell it to us :roll:

For example,you go into the news agents to pick up a morning paper and you not sure which one to buy.
One papers headline reads FAMOUS MOVIE STAR COUGHT IN BED WITH MAID BY HIS WIFE.Another reads FAMOUS MOVIE STAR DONATES A LARGE SUM TO CHARITY Wich paper would YOU pick up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:43 pm 
Star

Would that donation be before or after he got caught in bed with the maid
?????
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:06 pm 
Rock Star

If you like Queen watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMO3YNoNyTY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:52 pm 
Top of the pops

migmogs wrote:
Media and news is all about sensationalism, getting people to read and tune in , it is noth8ng about facts
Always remember the financial crash here in Cyprus
The news was reporting violence, hand bags being snatched in Coral Bay, demonstrations, not being able to get money out of the banks etc etc
My children rang us up worried to death that we where 8n trouble and that we needed financial help!!! We needed nothing...people where queueing up in quiet orderly fashion outside of banks to get money, there was no violence or bag snatching, the only demonstration happened in Nicosia with @ 60 bank staff and they where quiet, we where able to access our uk accounts daily for money!
It was an absolute overkill and sensationalized for ratings and nothing else

Should Sir Cliffs name have been given out? No!

:agree So factual what you are saying Migmogs. I think it was The Daily Mail, that reported that planes were "standing by" to take us expats home!! My sister even phoned me from England, because she was so worried for my safety!!! As you rightly say Migmogs, there was no trouble outside the banks. It even became a bit of a social occasion with the Cypriots, as we queued up each morning to get our daily limit of money out of the bank!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:35 am 
Graduate

vine wrote:
Scandal,bad news,sensationalism,its what sells news papers and other news outlets.But think about it its what we want to read about.
I remember many years ago when I spent some time in the US,a well known local journalist left the newspaper he was working for and started up his own paper.He thought he would make a killing by only printing GOOD news and HAPPY stories..It closed down within a year.
Supply and demand i,m afraid.as long as we want to pay to read this sad news then someone will sell it to us :roll:

For example,you go into the news agents to pick up a morning paper and you not sure which one to buy.
One papers headline reads FAMOUS MOVIE STAR COUGHT IN BED WITH MAID BY HIS WIFE.Another reads FAMOUS MOVIE STAR DONATES A LARGE SUM TO CHARITY Wich paper would YOU pick up.

They used to say that the things that sold newspapers were Headlines featuring Religion, Royalty Sex and Mystery as in " Christ the Queen is Pregnant - Who Did It ? "

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body