It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:56 am

Mr-Woo Chinese and Thai Restaurant

The Haris Bar Restaurant

Buy Home in Cyprus banner

Simon the FLYman banner

Paphos Will Writers

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:33 am 

As of Saturday, another law cracking down on the use of plastic came into effect at supermarkets and shops in Cyprus, but it is unlikely to have too much of an impact.

FULL STORY HERE:- https://cyprus-mail.com/2023/02/19/plastic-bag-ban-well-some-of-them-and-only-sometimes/

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:43 pm 
Rock Star

I think the bags at the till should be priced to encourage you to reuse them, im sure many think , its only a few cents , what the hell ! I normally get about 10 or so uses out of a bag , a lot of failure to reuse bags is just laziness , why bother for a few cents. People are too busy playing with their phones to worry about a silly bag .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Read an article the other day which suggested that re-usable bags at checkouts actually do more harm to the environment, and use much more energy to manufacture, than the polythene bags they are meant to replace. Plastic bags are like gold dust in our house, as we use them to store the ash which comes from our log burner.

Talking of log-burners, these are now frowned on in the UK, but are subsidised by the government in France, because the French government is keen for people to use natural and replaceable resources for energy.

Meanwhile, all the promises and rhetoric made by Boris at the COP27 conference in Glasgow in 2022 are now shown to be nothing more than hot air. Not a bean has been done or put in place, since. Meanwhile, while he had use of the Government jet, Boris used it to the full, as does Rishi Sunak now.

Nothing to do with mobile phones, Mouse ;)

I can't be the only one fed up with all the hypocritical virtue-signallers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:48 am 
Top of the pops

Rhetoric, hypocrisy and playing on peoples emotions and responsible sides to have them walk directly into totalitarianism control blindly is slowly starting to be seen, even by the institutionalised stalwarts .

The hypocrisy exists quite openly and should now be resented by those paying for it.
The green agenda is being proven as nothing but a hoax and a simple agenda.

Poly bags are horrible but the alternatives provided as Yak states are actually worse. As are the provision of electric cars and many other friendly items. Total mick.

As for global warming, the temp has increased since 1850 by 1.5 degrees. Which given the accepted earth cycle for cooling and heating, the 1850 measurement was during one of the colder periods. If the same measurement was taken some 100 years later the temp is the same.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:36 pm 
Rock Star

Well yak not really sure what you were saying but it seemed to relate to the uk which is not part of the eu and i dont live there so dont see any relevance. Being a ludite i guess i will not see your point of view but re mobile phones , i see people yacking on their phones at the checkout , taking a few disposable bags , and no interest in where they are ! I have a number of disposable plastic bags which can be used some 20 to 30 times and some years back bought reusable shopping bags from ikea, they are still good ! I see no problem with reusing / repairing or using a posh modern term " upcycling " well i have been upcycling since i was big enough to climb into a skip standing on my bicycle seat.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body