Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:07 am 
Top of the pops

Lannate has been available since the early 1970s.

Animal rights campaigners are celebrating the news that the deadly Lannate poison will cease to be sold in Cyprus from early next year. EU lawmakers have decided that Lannate must be taken off shop shelves by March 2009.

The deadly substance, which is freely available in Cyprus, has been responsible for the deaths of thousands of domestic pets and wild animals over the past few years.

Lannate poison was introduced to American farmers in 1970 and was quickly exported worldwide due to the fact that it had a "90% kill rate" (compared with 50% to DDT).

It quickly became a restricted chemical in most parts of the world because of its high oral toxicity. Most animals that lick or eat food tainted with the drug die an agonizing death which can last from a few minutes up to five hours.

Last month a man in Trinidad killed his son by giving him a drink laced with Lannate. Local media wrote that the victim suffered "a death too painful to describe".

- Copyright © Famagusta Gazette 2008

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:49 pm 
Top of the pops

Can only be good news at this ban :clapping

Treat others as you want to be treated

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:08 pm 
Top of the pops

Wait till mark see's this :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:50 pm 
Top of the pops

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Lannate has been available since the early 1970s.

Animal rights campaigners are celebrating the news that the deadly Lannate poison will cease to be sold in Cyprus from early next year. EU lawmakers have decided that Lannate must be taken off shop shelves by March 2009.

The deadly substance, which is freely available in Cyprus, has been responsible for the deaths of thousands of domestic pets and wild animals over the past few years.

Lannate poison was introduced to American farmers in 1970 and was quickly exported worldwide due to the fact that it had a "90% kill rate" (compared with 50% to DDT).

It quickly became a restricted chemical in most parts of the world because of its high oral toxicity. Most animals that lick or eat food tainted with the drug die an agonizing death which can last from a few minutes up to five hours.

Last month a man in Trinidad killed his son by giving him a drink laced with Lannate. Local media wrote that the victim suffered "a death too painful to describe".

- Copyright © Famagusta Gazette 2008

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY ABOUT THIS. I did a check up as i did read about this by jj this morning, And it is TRUE :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate As you can see i am a very happy man, and so should you all be, in Cyprus with animals. To be honest with you guys i had a cry, when i heard it was true. I not shamed by this as i am a man with feelings :wink: :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate I feel like going out of my street and Screaming :clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping When i got the email to say it was true i ran down my wife works, and told here screaming at her, all of her customers look at me funny and thought i was a mad man:smilielol :smilielol :smilielol And yes she cry to with me, in front of everyone in shop.Even better news i got a wip round from everyone in shop for paws, ok only £26 but every bit helps. Thanks everyone :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:49 pm 
Top of the pops

Hallelujah this is the best bit of news CY could get. All the e-mails I have sent all the petitions signed at last some one has listened to the voice of the people and all animal lovers some how have lost pets to this deadly substance. I hope that Cypriots will adhere to the new ruling -- but watch this space old habits die hard. Marj :celeb2 :celeb2 :celeb2

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body