Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:57 am 
Regular

By Andy Ioannou 11.MAY.08
A British resident of Paphos died in a tragic glider accident this morning.

The body of David Armstrong, 70, was found just after 10:30am after his motor glider crashed after encountering turbulence.

Armstrong took to the air at 09:47 am from Paphos Airport and reported by radio to the control tower at 10am that he was experiencing “some turbulence.” He then reported that there was a problem with the glider, but did not indicate exactly what the problem was.

According to eyewitnesses, the Glider crashed at around 10:30am near St. Ephraim. Cyprus police are investigating the crash.
- Copyright © Famagusta Gazette 2008

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:06 am 
Top of the pops

What has surprised me about this news article is that I didn't think there was a glider club here. I know a couple who relocated to Scotland because the husband missed gliding.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. Image

http://coecyp.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:15 am 
Regular

We watched the aircraft take off from Paphos!

Our thoughts go out to the family.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:22 am 
Top of the pops

It is tragic, Stu. Any loss of life is.

I was just unaware that there are any gliders in Cyprus so it surprised me to read it.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. Image

http://coecyp.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:30 am 
Regular

I think they are referring to a Microlight;

A Motor Glider is a fixed-wing aircraft that can be flown with or without engine power. The FAI Gliding Commission Sporting Code definition is:

MOTOR GLIDER: A fixed wing aerodyne equipped with a means of propulsion (MoP), capable of sustained soaring flight without thrust from the means of propulsion.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:46 am 
Top of the pops

Hi Stuart. Microlights and motororised gliders are two quite different types of aircraft. A motorised glider looks like a cross between a glider and a streamlined, lightweight aircraft. Flying one you have the advantages of both, inasmuch as in the right conditions you can turn the engine off and soar in the thermals. But still go from A-B like a conventional aircraft if there are no thermals. I do sometimes see microlights flying overhead, and once saw one being trailered behind a car in Timi.

In all events this was a tragic accident and our thoughts and condolences go to the poor man's family. In the UK this accident would be most thoroughly investigated by the Accident Investigation Bureau to pinpoint the cause, but I'm not sure here. Lloyd

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:36 pm 
Regular

There was a report of this tragic event on the news. The film footage showed a microlight aircraft.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:20 pm 
Regular

Does anyone know where in paphos this man lived? i ask because we had a couple who were regulars at the restaurant, his name was Dave and he flew this type of light aircraft

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:24 pm 
Master

debs wrote:
Does anyone know where in paphos this man lived? i ask because we had a couple who were regulars at the restaurant, his name was Dave and he flew this type of light aircraft

Looks too much like a coincidence Debs

Cyprus Mail
A BRITISH man from Tala was killed when his motor glider crashed near Paphos on Sunday morning.

Permanent resident, David Armstrong, was aged 73.

His body was found at around 10.30am. Apparently, his motor glider crashed after encountering turbulence.

Armstrong took off at 9.47am from Paphos airport. Ten minutes later he informed the control tower by radio that he was experiencing turbulence and mentioned that there was a problem with the glider and he would be making an emergency landing in a field. He did not state what exactly was at fault with the glider. It seems that he was not in control of the glider and ended up crashing into a vineyard after hitting a tree. When fire brigade and ambulances arrived at the scene he was already dead.

Eyewitnesses said the glider crashed at around 10.30am near Ayios Ephraim.

Costas Orfanos from the Cyprus Commission of Investigation into Air Accidents and Incidents attended the scene along with forensic expert. He stated that the cause of the crash was still unknown and that he would examine both the engine and other key parts of the aircraft to try and discover what went wrong.

Early reports suggest that the aircraft was brand new, having only 100 flight hours.

A motor glider is a fixed-wing aircraft that can be flown with or without engine power. It is capable of sustaining a soaring flight without thrust from the means of force.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body